Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Shell Noob
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Shell Noob Post 302119707 by Sax on Thursday 31st of May 2007 11:01:29 AM
Old 05-31-2007
I think I see how it's working now.
I changed the find back, and changed the script to ksh. I also added the line above.
When I run it I don't get any errors, but then I don't get anything else ? I left the copy command commented out and ran it, but I didn't get any output, I thought I would at least see the echo lines Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I am a unix noob

Hello i am new to this forum. I signed up here really to ask one question. I recentaly got a old unix server from my work and i never really understood what unix is or what is does. Dont get me wrong i and very smart with computers as long as its windows, mac, or linux i can use them all but i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: alt+f4
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

complete noob

Hi all, This is my first post. I am a complete noobie to the UNIX OS, I have an iMac G5 with the unix shell built in and am interested in learning how to use it to do things useful with it, but have no idea where to start. I have read over the basic commands but they haven't helped me much yet.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: avdrummerboy
3 Replies

3. Linux

noob help needed

i'm having trouble putting together a program :( any help would be much appreciated! Write a Shell Program to automate the process of collecting assignments from the directories of students of any specified class. The person running the program should be able to pass a parameter to the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ace_face
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Noob on Unix.

This may seem really easy to alot of you but i am a real noob on unix. I have been set the task to make a script which will answer a query. Basically I will have made files for people and i want to be able to search for a persons file and then select certain variables from the files. e.g... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobtheb
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

I'm a noob at Lynx...

So... I'm using lynx on a Mac... I didn't know that the whole dang thing is in Terminal? I rarely use terminal. I can't even figure out how to start the thing up. I type in lynx into it and press enter... And the cursor just goes down. Nothing happens like the FAQ websites describe. I feel so... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yennster
6 Replies

6. HP-UX

Anybody wants to help a complete Noob?

Hello there, first post here so go easy on me! :D I just aquired an old HP 9000 Dclass d220 server, all I know is that it's running HP-UX, and it appears to boot fine (I see the modules loading, etc..) Now, I have been an MS guy all my life (yeah I know, make fun of me), so I really have no... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Marvio
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Noob to Shell Scripting

Hello. I'm attempting to create a shell script to assist me by saving time with one of my hobbies. I am an Android Enthusiast and currently build a few roms for one of the devices. One of the roms I make is ported from a different device to mine (I get the original for the HTC Desire HD and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: JHutson456
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cron-Noob

Hi guys! Consider the following PERL script, #!/usr/bin/perl my $userID = `whoami`; open(TMP, ">user.txt"); print TMP "$userID"; close(TMP); Run on the command line it works no problem. Run using crontab it doesn't work. Where do I go to check errors from crontab? I've read things... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jaymoney
25 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Noob. shell script with prompt?

Hey Guys and Gals, Im a complete Noob to Unix. But recently have started working on a unix system for my PET/CT scanner. My scanner comes with a MOD drive for backup. I would like to back up to USB (its alot cheaper). But the only way to do so is by manually enterin the unix commands. Id like to... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: TorresGXL
13 Replies

10. OS X (Apple)

Noob trying to improve

Hi everyone! This is my first post here, I hope that I will not already be violating any rule! I also would like to apologize in advance as my post will definitely be a noob post... please have patience and faith :rolleyes:! Now that I have set the ground rules :D:D, my objective is trying... (39 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ardzii
39 Replies
echo(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  echo(1B)

NAME
echo - echo arguments to standard output SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/echo [-n] [argument] DESCRIPTION
echo writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files and for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of envi- ronment variables. For example, you can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o echo your current-working-directory's full pathname o pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters o pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo "echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w" See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. The shells csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1), each have an echo built-in command, which, by default, will have precedence, and will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. /usr/ucb/echo and csh's echo() have an -n option, but do not understand back-slashed escape characters. sh's echo(), ksh's echo(), and /usr/bin/echo, on the other hand, understand the black-slashed escape characters, and ksh's echo() also understands a as the audible bell character; however, these commands do not have an -n option. OPTIONS
-n Do not add the NEWLINE to the output. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), echo(1), ksh(1), sh(1), tr(1), wc(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The -n option is a transition aid for BSD applications, and may not be supported in future releases. SunOS 5.10 3 Aug 1994 echo(1B)