Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Can we convert a '|' file into a fixed lenght??? Post 302119458 by bakunin on Wednesday 30th of May 2007 04:06:24 AM
Old 05-30-2007
As the "fields" in your file are separated by a constant char ("|") use cut to separate them, then print the lines via printf (i assume Kornshell here, use 'echo' instead of 'print' if you are using something else):

Code:
cat infile | while read line ; do
     # split each input line to fields and catch these in variables
     field1="$(print - "$line" | cut -d'|' -f1)"
     field2="$(print - "$line" | cut -d'|' -f2)"
     field3="$(print - "$line" | cut -d'|' -f3)"

# after you are done with the line print it out again
     # i assume here that the first column should be 20 chars wide, the next
     # two 15, and so on. see the second example below.
     printf '%20s %15s %15s [...]\n' "$field1" "field2" "$field3" [...] >> outfile
done

This is using (a fixed number of) fixed-width columns and you have to know the widths in advance. It is possible to create dynamically formatted columns but you will have to read the infile two times:

Code:
maxlength1=0
maxlength2=0
     # in the first run we split and get the max width for each column
     length1=$(print - "$field1" | wc -c)
     if [ $length1 -gt $maxlength1 ] ; then
          maxlength1=$length1
     fi
     length2=$(print - "$field2" | wc -c)
     if [ $length2 -gt $maxlength2 ] ; then
          maxlength2=$length1
     fi
done

# put together the output template for printf
template='%'"$maxlength1"'s   %"'$maxlength2"'s [.....]\n'

# in the second run we split again and print using the found widths
     printf "$template" "$field1" "field2" "$field3" [...] >> outfile
done

I'd suggest you use (dynamical) arrays instead the numbered variables to make the script able to deal with a variable number of fields in the input file as a further enhancement. The column separator could then be provided as a parameter making the script as widely usable as possible.

bakunin

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert XML file into Text file(fixed length)

If someone out there could help me out with this problem. I would really appreciate it. I am trying to convert xml into text file(fixed length) using Unix Borne shell scripts. My xml file: <root> <header_rec recordtype="00"> <record_id>00</record_id> ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ram2s2001
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to convert Fixed length file to delimited file.

I have below fixed lenth file . I have to convert this to delimitted file. File1.txtE116005/29/19930E001E000 E12201/23/19940E001E003 E10406/4/19940E001E003 I want to convert this to : E116,0,05/29/1993,0,E001,E000 E122,0,1/23/1994,0,E001,E003 E104,0,6/4/1994,0,E001,E003 I have a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: satyam_sat
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

convert fixed length file to CSV

Newbie Looking for a script to convert my input file to delimited text file. Not familier with AWK or shell programing. Below is sample record in my input file and the expected output format. My OS is HPUX 11.23. Thanks in advance for your assistance. tbtbs input file:... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: tbtbs
12 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Convert Variable file to fixed file.

I have a set of variable date log files /tmp/test/test1_<YYYYMMDD>_A.log /tmp/test/test2_<YYYYMMDD>_B.log /tmp/test/test3_<YYYYMMDD>_C.log /tmp/test/test4_<YYYYMMDD>_D.log /tmp/test/test5_<YYYYMMDD>_E.log which should be converted (should have content of all the above listed files) into... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhi9845
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Variable file to fixed file.

I have a set of variable date log files /tmp/test/test1_<YYYYMMDD>_A.log /tmp/test/test2_<YYYYMMDD>_B.log /tmp/test/test3_<YYYYMMDD>_C.log /tmp/test/test4_<YYYYMMDD>_D.log /tmp/test/test5_<YYYYMMDD>_E.log which should be converted (should have content of all the above listed files) into... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhi9845
9 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Convert a tab delimited/variable length file to fixed length file

Hi, all. I need to convert a file tab delimited/variable length file in AIX to a fixed lenght file delimited by spaces. This is the input file: 10200002<tab>US$ COM<tab>16/12/2008<tab>2,3775<tab>2,3783 19300978<tab>EURO<tab>16/12/2008<tab>3,28523<tab>3,28657 And this is the expected... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Everton_Silveir
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

convert # delimited text file to fixed width

Hello gurus, I have a file containing 5 columns delimited by '#' as shown in the example below: HRP1000-PLVAR#HRP1000-OTYPE#HRP1000-OBJID#HRP1000-BEGDA#HRP1000-ENDDA# 99991231#AU7129#000000000#1 PROCTER & GAMBLE# 99991231#TT4283#1000013883#21111 LAUNDRY# 99991231#TT4283#1000013884#21121 DISH... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: chumsky
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

how to find lenght of fixed width file record?

actually i am trying to find the lenght of fixed width file record reading from teradata db but its not working can u guys help me out? code which i wrote--- colmn_lngth=`cat $RPT_FILE | awk -F~ '{print $1}'` rm $RPT_FILE while read line do result=`echo $line | wc -m` ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Seshendranath
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove new line character and add space to convert into fixed width file

I have a file with different record length. The file as to be converted into fixed length by appending spaces at the end of record. The length should be calculated based on the record with maximum length in the file. If the length is less than the max length, the spaces should be appended... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Amrutha24
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Convert a fixed width file to a delimited file

Hi - this is a generic question .... is there any utility which can convert a fixed width file format to a delimited file (any given character delimited) ? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: i4ismail
5 Replies
DD(1)							      General Commands Manual							     DD(1)

NAME
dd - convert and copy a file SYNOPSIS
dd [option=value] ... DESCRIPTION
Dd copies the specified input file to the specified output with possible conversions. The standard input and output are used by default. The input and output block size may be specified to take advantage of raw physical I/O. option values if= input file name; standard input is default of= output file name; standard output is default ibs=n input block size n bytes (default 512) obs=n output block size (default 512) bs=n set both input and output block size, superseding ibs and obs; also, if no conversion is specified, it is particularly effi- cient since no copy need be done cbs=n conversion buffer size skip=n skip n input records before starting copy files=n copy n input files before terminating (makes sense only where input is a magtape or similar device). seek=n seek n records from beginning of output file before copying count=n copy only n input records conv=ascii convert EBCDIC to ASCII ebcdic convert ASCII to EBCDIC ibm slightly different map of ASCII to EBCDIC block convert variable length records to fixed length unblock convert fixed length records to variable length lcase map alphabetics to lower case ucase map alphabetics to upper case swab swap every pair of bytes noerror do not stop processing on an error sync pad every input record to ibs ... , ... several comma-separated conversions Where sizes are specified, a number of bytes is expected. A number may end with k, b or w to specify multiplication by 1024, 512, or 2 respectively; a pair of numbers may be separated by x to indicate a product. Cbs is used only if ascii, unblock, ebcdic, ibm, or block conversion is specified. In the first two cases, cbs characters are placed into the conversion buffer, any specified character mapping is done, trailing blanks trimmed and new-line added before sending the line to the output. In the latter three cases, characters are read into the conversion buffer, and blanks added to make up an output record of size cbs. After completion, dd reports the number of whole and partial input and output blocks. For example, to read an EBCDIC tape blocked ten 80-byte EBCDIC card images per record into the ASCII file x: dd if=/dev/rmt0 of=x ibs=800 cbs=80 conv=ascii,lcase Note the use of raw magtape. Dd is especially suited to I/O on the raw physical devices because it allows reading and writing in arbitrary record sizes. SEE ALSO
cp(1), tr(1) DIAGNOSTICS
f+p records in(out): numbers of full and partial records read(written) BUGS
The ASCII/EBCDIC conversion tables are taken from the 256 character standard in the CACM Nov, 1968. The `ibm' conversion, while less blessed as a standard, corresponds better to certain IBM print train conventions. There is no universal solution. One must specify ``conv=noerror,sync'' when copying raw disks with bad sectors to insure dd stays synchronized. Certain combinations of arguments to conv= are permitted. However, the block or unblock option cannot be combined with ascii, ebcdic or ibm. Invalid combinations silently ignore all but the last mutually-exclusive keyword. 4th Berkeley Distribution April 29, 1985 DD(1)