Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Help with waiting for ARP/RARP packet Post 302119415 by porter on Tuesday 29th of May 2007 09:03:28 PM
Old 05-29-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by chezmargm
So far our UNIX guys have spent a lot of man hours on this and have gotten nowhere.
Is this machine using DHCP and on a subnet without a DHCP server or DHCP bridge?

Is this machine using DNS/NIS to get it's network information?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

Alternate to RARP Solaris 5.6 & 5.8

I am a Cisco Engineer and have run into a problem with the boot process for UNIX servers running Solaris 5.6 & 5.8 OS. Currently the servers boot using RARP to discover IP configuration. This works and is OK as long as everything is on the same network where the broadcasts are free to roam. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: dmerg59
2 Replies

2. Solaris

Jumpstart: Rarp protocol specifics

I am having trouble locating a boot server on my subnet. I am trying to avoid installing a boot server if one exisits. Is there a way for me to broadcast a Rarp request to see if any boot servers are on my subnet and if so identify them? I think this will only work if the Rarp protocol supports... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mhm4
3 Replies

3. Solaris

ARP Cache

Dear all, We are testing two of our servers for mq series connectivity. The scenario is, when one machine is shutting down it's services there are some scripts that do a dns update, which removes the ip address and relates it to the ip address of the other node on our dns server, and the update... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: earlysame55
7 Replies

4. HP-UX

HW Address and arp

I was checking nettl output for a unstable telnet to my server. this is part of output: ### ***********************************STREAMS/UX*******************************@#% Timestamp : Sun Jun 22 EETDST 2008 22:14:47.492899 Process ID : Subsystem ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: xramm
4 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Timeout waiting for arp/rarp error

hello folks, I am trying to install solaris 10 through network using jumpstart but the thing is i am facing problem with the following message problem Timeout waiting for arp/rarp i made sure everything correct as /etc/hosts and /etc/ethers cables are connected, plz anyone help me out (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: solar10
7 Replies

6. IP Networking

about RARP

Is a separate frame type field required for RARP? Could the same value be used for ARP and RARP 0x0806? thanks in advance. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kavitha rao
1 Replies

7. Solaris

Solaris 2.6 looking for ARP/RARP packet

Hi Everybody :) This is my first post concerning Solaris 2.6 trying to boot on a Tadpole SparcBook 3. I bought the laptop from somebody who configured it for his network. For the moment I want it as a non-networked standalone machine, or at least have that option. On trying to boot I get an... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: JuBiLeE_50_05
0 Replies

8. IP Networking

necessary ARP request?

Hello, I have 2 clients with Unix installed. host1: eth0 (192.168.5.10) & eth1 (192.168.10.10) host2: eth0 (192.168.10.20) I've connected host1-eth1 to host2-eth0. host1-eth0 isn't connected. I started 'tcpdump' on wonder that host2 got ARP requests for 192.168.5.10. Any idea why host1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: daWonderer
2 Replies

9. War Stories

What arp -s is good for

A customer appears to have drastically misunderstood our instructions for connecting to our WAN. He set his PC IP address to the same as one of the bridges. :mad: :wall: This caused much confusion on the network, to put it mildly. He called to complain about the poor performance of the network... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Corona688
13 Replies

10. AIX

Packet loss coming with big packet size ping

(5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vishal_dba
5 Replies
dhcp_modules(5) 					Standards, Environments, and Macros					   dhcp_modules(5)

NAME
dhcp_modules - data storage modules for the DHCP service DESCRIPTION
This man page describes the characteristics of data storage modules (public modules) for use by the Solaris Dynamic Host Configuration Pro- tocol (DHCP) service. Public modules are the part of the DHCP service architecture that encapsulate the details of storing DHCP service data in a data storage service. Examples of data storage services are NIS+, Oracle, and ufs file systems. Public modules are dynamic objects which can be shipped separately from the Solaris DHCP service. Once installed, a public module is visi- ble to the DHCP service, and can be selected for use by the service through the DHCP service management interfaces (dhcpmgr(1M), dhcpcon- fig(1M), dhtadm(1M), and pntadm(1M)). Public modules may be provided by Sun Microsystems, Inc or by third parties. The Solaris DHCP service management architecture provides a mechanism for plugging in public module-specific administration functionality into the dhcpmgr(1M) and dhcpconfig(1M) utilities. This functionality is in the form of a Java Bean, which is provided by the public module vendor. This Java Bean collects public module-specific configuration from the user (you) and provides it to the Solaris DHCP service. The Solaris DHCP service bundles three modules with the service, which are described below. There are three dhcpsvc.conf(4) DHCP service configuration parameters pertaining to public modules: RESOURCE, PATH, and RESOURCE_CONFIG. See dhcpsvc.conf(4) for more information about these parameters. SUNWfiles This module stores its data in ASCII files. Although the format is ASCII, hand-editing is discouraged. It is useful for DHCP service envi- ronments that support several hundred to a couple thousand of clients and lease times are a few hours or more. This module's data may be shared between DHCP servers through the use of NFS. SUNWbinfiles This module stores its data in binary files. It is useful for DHCP service environments with many networks and many thousands of clients. This module provides an order of magnitude increase in performance and capacity over SUNWfiles. This module's data cannot be shared between DHCP servers. SUNWnisplus This module stores its data within a NIS+ domain. It is useful in environments where NIS+ is already deployed and facilitates sharing among multiple DHCP servers. This module suports several hundred to a few thousand clients with lease times of several hours or more. The NIS+ service should be hosted on a machine with ample CPU power, memory, and disk space, as the load on NIS+ is significant when it is used to store DHCP data. Periodic checkpointing of the NIS+ service is necessary in order to roll the transaction logs and keep the NIS+ service operating at its highest efficiency. See nisping(1M) and crontab(1) for more information. SEE ALSO
crontab(1), dhcpconfig(1M), dhcpmgr(1M), dhtadm(1M), nisping(1M), pntadm(1M), dhcpsvc.conf(4), dhcp(5) Solaris DHCP Service Developer's Guide SunOS 5.10 24 Jan 2003 dhcp_modules(5)