Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Searching directory tree
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Searching directory tree Post 302119383 by blane on Tuesday 29th of May 2007 02:31:15 PM
Old 05-29-2007
Searching directory tree

I'm currently trying to write a script that will do the following:

search a given directory tree for a file with MMDDYYYY in the name.
delete those files only.

I can't figure out how to make the script delete the files with the MMDDYYYY in the filename after finding them.

Should I export it to another file, have the script read the file and then delete the entries? If so, how? Smilie

Thanks in advance!

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Space Used by Directory Tree

Can someone tell me how I can determine how much space (blocks) have been used by a given directory tree? I periodically need to know how much space is consumed by a directory and all of its files and subdirectories and their files in either KB or blocks. I have tried df and du but these do not... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: johnk99
1 Replies

2. Programming

directory as tree

hi i have modified a program to display directory entries recursively in a tree like form i need an output with the following guidelines: the prog displays the contents of the directory the directory contents are sorted before printing so that directories come before regular files if an entry... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: anything2
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

directory tree

Hi all, The following is a script for displaying directory tree. D=${1:-`pwd`} (cd $D; pwd) find $D -type d -print | sort | sed -e "s,^$D,,"\ -e "/^$/d"\ -e "s,*/\(*\)$,\:-----\1,"\ -e "s,*/,: ,g" | more exit 0 I am trying to understand the above script.But... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi raj kumar
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Protecting the directory tree

Hello, I am hoping someone maybe able to help me. I have set up an Apache web server on my sun server with user accounts in the main htdocs directory. My question is how to stop these users searching up the directory tree when they ftp/telnet to the server. Also is it possible to restrict the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rooneyl
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Move all files in a directory tree to a signal directory?

Is this possible? Let me know If I need specify further on what I am trying to do- I just want to spare you the boring details of my personal file management. Thanks in advance- Brian- (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: briandanielz
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

creating a directory tree

Hi all, I'd like to create a directory tree, and define from stdin how many levels deep and how many directories in each level should be created. What I wrote does not work properly:#!/bin/bash #set -x read -p " What root directory? " rootDir && { /bin/rm -R $rootDir; mkdir $rootDir; } ||... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: NBaH
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

directory tree with directory size

find . -type d -print 2>/dev/null|awk '!/\.$/ {for (i=1;i<NF;i++){d=length($i);if ( d < 5 && i != 1 )d=5;printf("%"d"s","|")}print "---"$NF}' FS='/' Can someone explain how this works..?? How can i add directory size to be listed in the above command's output..?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vikram3.r
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to copy a tree of directory

Mi question is how can you copy only de three of directory and not the files in it. Only a need the three of directorys not the files (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: enkei17
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Specific directory parsing in a directory tree

Hi friends, Hello again :) i got stuck in problem. Is there any way to get a special directory from directory tree? Here is my problm.." Suppose i have one fix directory structure "/abc/xyz/pqr/"(this will be fix).Under this directory structure i have some other directory and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: harpal singh
6 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

To do directory tree search

Hello Everyone, I need to find the file / directory with the maximum timestamp in a directory tree having many files / directories. Could you please help. Thanks, H squared (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: H squared
3 Replies
ppmtosixel(1)						      General Commands Manual						     ppmtosixel(1)

NAME
ppmtosixel - convert a portable pixmap into DEC sixel format SYNOPSIS
ppmtosixel [-raw] [-margin] [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces sixel commands (SIX) as output. The output is formatted for color printing, e.g. for a DEC LJ250 color inkjet printer. If RGB values from the PPM file do not have maxval=100, the RGB values are rescaled. A printer control header and a color assignment table begin the SIX file. Image data is written in a compressed format by default. A printer control footer ends the image file. OPTIONS
-raw If specified, each pixel will be explicitly described in the image file. If -raw is not specified, output will default to com- pressed format in which identical adjacent pixels are replaced by "repeat pixel" commands. A raw file is often an order of magni- tude larger than a compressed file and prints much slower. -margin If -margin is not specified, the image will be start at the left margin (of the window, paper, or whatever). If -margin is speci- fied, a 1.5 inch left margin will offset the image. PRINTING
Generally, sixel files must reach the printer unfiltered. Use the lpr -x option or cat filename > /dev/tty0?. BUGS
Upon rescaling, truncation of the least significant bits of RGB values may result in poor color conversion. If the original PPM maxval was greater than 100, rescaling also reduces the image depth. While the actual RGB values from the ppm file are more or less retained, the color palette of the LJ250 may not match the colors on your screen. This seems to be a printer limitation. SEE ALSO
ppm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1991 by Rick Vinci. 26 April 1991 ppmtosixel(1)