Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Basic multi module problem
Top Forums Programming Basic multi module problem Post 302119195 by porter on Monday 28th of May 2007 05:47:09 PM
Old 05-28-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octal
There is no need to put void as function arguements.
Not necessarily so...

In ANSI C, the following happens...

1. if the return type is empty it is considered an 'int'.

2. if the function has a void or a list of arguments those are the arguments that the compiler will check against.

3. if the argument list is empty it is effectively saying "I don't know what the arguments are" and you can call it with any arguments you like and may only get a warning. It is equivalent of ellipses, (...)

Code:
int myx()
{
	return 0;
}

int myz(void)
{
	return 0;
}

void myy()
{
	myx();
	myx(2);
	myx(3);
	myz();
	myz(1);
}

There may only be a warning only for the "myz(1)".

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

having problem in understanding namei module

can anyone give me some idea on unix filesystem namei's algorithsm (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kangc
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Basic problem

Hello Friends, I am learning Perl now. I have a small query. I have a directory Z with file name Z.txt. I would like to copy this file Z.txt to 3 new dir with new filenames as follows dir 1 1.txt dir 2 2.txt dir 3 3.txt I would like to then open 1.txt from dir 1 and edit the first... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: ramesh54
0 Replies

3. Red Hat

Problem with kernel-module-ntfs

Hi All Im trying to access the my windows XP NTFS from Redhat linux 4.0 Enterprise edition I have downloaded the respective rpm And im able to install it successfully Then i have given the following command , but got an error Here are my partitions And when i give the below... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: balumankala
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compatibility problem of Tk Module in different versions

Hi, I am using Tk module in perl 5.6 and it is working fine. Now when i installed the newer version 5.10.0 then getting error that Tk module not found. But i will have to work on this newer verison only to use some other modules of perl. I want to know why Tk module is not working in newer... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: kunal_dixit
6 Replies

5. Linux

problem with kernel module loading

Hi masters, I am new to linux and unix forum and this is my first forum. So please excuse if I am not giving sufficient information. I will give them on request. I have created a bandwidth manager module. I am using a 2.6.9 kernel and in Red Hat 3.4.3 distribution. But when i run make... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: iamjayanth
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Kernel module compilation problem

I have one big module 2.6.18 kernel mod.c I want to divide this to several files. The problem is to write right Makefile lib1.h lib1.c mod.c mod.c works fine normally but when I divide into several files and try to compile with this makefile obj-m := mod.o mod-objs := lib1.o ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: marcintom
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Problem loading cpufreq module

I'd like to install cpufreq modules on my server . I tried sudo modprobe acpi-cpufreq but got the error FATAL: Error inserting acpi_cpufreq (/lib/modules/2.6.18-238.12.1.el5xen/kernel/arch/x86_64/kernel/cpufreq/acpi-cpufreq.ko): No such device cat /proc/cpuinfo gives this ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: vishwamitra
11 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Basic problem with pdftotext

Hi, I have used pdftotext with good results in the past, but today for some reason I keep getting the same error message. My command is as follows: And the error message is I am using Vmware player with Ubuntu server, but I don't think that is causing this issue as I have been using... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Joq
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem during perl module installation

Hi 'm getting error while installing perl mdule on linux.can any one tell me how to resolve that error? problem is: CPAN: File::Temp loaded ok (v0.22) CPAN.pm: Going to build J/JD/JDB/Win32-OLE-0.1709.tar.gz OS unsupported Warning: No success on command Warning (usually harmless):... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kavi.mogu
1 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1p) 					User Contributed Perl Documentation					   SHELL-QUOTE(1p)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.8.4 2005-05-03 SHELL-QUOTE(1p)