Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Automatic name file with increase Post 302119168 by aigles on Monday 28th of May 2007 10:46:47 AM
Old 05-28-2007
You can try something like that :
Code:
filename=c15a

datestamp=$(date +%Y%m%d)
last_file=$(ls -1 $filename.$datestamp.* 2>/dev/null | tail -1)
if [ -z "$last_file" ]
then
  number=1
else
  number=$(( ${last_file##*.} + 1 ))
fi
new_filename=$(printf "%s.%s.%05.5d" "$filename" "$datestamp" "$number")

mv $filename $new_filename

Jean-Pierre.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

unix automatic file transfer

Hello, I am a beginner with korn shell scripting. I have got a text file that gets produced every night and I need to transfer it to a windows shared area. Is there any command line script (e.g FTP) that I could use to transfer the file automatically without manual intervention everyday? Any... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tagem
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File increase

Sorry im really new here this is my second post today! My question is, im trying to write a script and i want to output to a text file but i want each text file to be different so for instance log.txt, log1.txt, log2.txt ect how would i do that? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chapmana
7 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

automatic tar xf of file with unknown name

Hi all, With curl I can fetch a tar archive from a web server which contains a file ending with .scf which I am interested in. Unfortunately the file name may vary and the subdirectory inside the tar archive may change. I can manually browse the directory structure and extract the file and then... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: tkrahn
3 Replies

4. Solaris

Script for automatic count the file i have

Hi I have a folder will all the file ftp in everyday. I have to go in every morning to check to see everynight have all the 2000+ file have been all FTP in. so every morning i will check like this # ls -l *_20080904*_20080904* |wc if there is 2714 that mean is correct. File name:... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: summerpeh
13 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

[code] Automatic File Input

i have got many files like this in my folder temp(say) imp_02042008.txt for date 02-04-2008 imp_03092009.txt for date 03-09-2009 imp_25112009.txt for date 25-11-2009 ................... ........ in some folder. and one of my shell code uses one of the above files based on date.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maruti
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Automatic file input to code

i have got many files like this in my folder temp(say) imp_02042008.txt for date 02-04-2008 imp_03092009.txt for date 03-09-2009 imp_25112009.txt for date 25-11-2009 ................... ........ in some folder. and one of my shell code uses one of the above files based on date.... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maruti
9 Replies

7. Solaris

how to increase file size in solaris 10 os

hi, let me know how to increase file size in solaris 10 OS (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: meet2muneer
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Automatic File Patching

Hi All, I have a query regarding the automatic patching on files in unix Suppose I have a file names - abc.txt and I take its backup as abc.txt_bkp and then do some changes in abc.txt and save it as abc.txt_new. Now I want to automatically apply the changes done on abc.txt to... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Shubham Aggarwa
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create a specific bash to increase the automatic update on my pi

hi everyone, I just began to be interested about the bash access. I buy a time ago a Raspberry pi, I installed raspbmc and now I would like build a bash to copy everyday all new files inside my server directly on the hard drive in my Pi. So my HDD is directly plug on my pi with usb connect,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nagito34
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Automatic file movement between folders

Hello There, Here is the use cases Input folders dropbox/project/abc/ dropbox/project/pqr/ dropbox/project/lmn/ dropbox/project/xyz/ Target Folders /data/abc/ /data/pqr/ /data/lmn/ /data/xyz/ (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TreasureCookies
2 Replies
GENPLOTFILES(1) 						      colplot							   GENPLOTFILES(1)

NAME
genplotfiles - utility to help automate creation of collectl plot file from raw ones SYNOPSIS
/opt/hp/colplot/genplotfiles.pl -outdir [-switches] DESCRIPTIONS
This utility is not intended to meet all plot file creation needs, but quite frankly should meet most. Features not provided with this utility are best realized by running collectl directly in playback mode (see collectl -p). It is therefore important to understand what this utility will and will not do for you before building an automation strategy around it. The algorithm used is fairly simple - genplotfiles examines each collectl raw file to see it it falls within the data ranges (if specified) and contains a matching hostname (if specified). If a plot file already exists, the timestamps are compared and the raw file skipped if its newer than the plotfile. Any raw files that pass all these tests are then passed to collectl with their timestamp wildcarded. The result is all raw files for that host/date will be processed. This means if you copy over collectl raw files multiple times over the course of the day using rsync, you can immediately genererate up-to-date plots for them using genplotfiles. Furthermore, you won`t even need any date parameters if the older plot files are alreay up to date. For an example of what a cron job that aggregates multiple collectl logs onto a single system for plotting purposes, see crontab.sh in the same directory as this script. SWITCHES
All switches are optional with the exception of -outdir: -colbin path-to-collectl This points to collectl and is only necessary if /usr/sbin is not in your path or you`ve chosen to install collectl in a non-stan- dard directory. -debug number Primarily for development, will provide intermediate processing information based on its value. See souce for details. -force Always generate plot files even in there is an existing one that is newer than the latest raw file. This will be necessary if you want to rerun this script and just change the value of -subsys. -help Print a summary of available switches. -host string Only process files that contain this string in their hostname portion of the filename. -indir directory Directory where to look for collectl logs. The default is /var/log/collectl and is therefore only necessary if your logs are in a non-standard location. -outdir directory Directory into which to write the plottable files. This field is required. -fromdate date Ignore files with a datestamp in their name less that this value. The default is 20050101 and so defaults to all files. The value of `yesterday` is also recognized to simplify scripts that call this. -thrudate date Ignore files with a datestamp in their name with a datestamp greater than this value. The default is the current day and one can also specify a value of `yesterday`. -subsys string Instead of using the default subsystems for which data was collected, generate output files based on this set. There are basically two reasons for doing this. The first is that you may want to reduce the size of the plot files, though with compression there is rarely much point in this. The second is if you`ve asked collectl to collect summary data but want to plot detail data. See the colplot FAQ for more information. AUTHOR
This program was written by Mark Seger (mjseger@gmail.com). Copyright 2005 Hewlett-Packard Development Company, L.P. SEE ALSO
LOCAL
OCTOBER 2005 GENPLOTFILES(1)