Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: mysterious #define
Top Forums Programming mysterious #define Post 302119016 by jim mcnamara on Saturday 26th of May 2007 07:49:53 AM
Old 05-26-2007
#define is an old part of C.
Code:
int i;

i is defined as an integer here. It's value is unspecified, which is a bad idea for variables by the way.

Code:
#define I

I is defined but the value is unspecified. The difference here is that #define merely defines something that is a unique series of characters. It has no real meaning.
int i; has more meaning for humans, because integers are a class.

If this helps at all.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Mysterious Server Shutdown

Virtually no UNIX admin experience. Any admin duties are shared by several folks with no special training. Today we had our Sun v880 server, running Solaris 5.8, shutdown for no apparent reason. When we checked on server we found it completely powered down, yet still connected to a fully... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: buechler66
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

#define in perl

Hi friends, I am not sure if perl questions can be raised here. :rolleyes: But I have a doubt if there is a way to do "#define" in perl, like in C. Does anyone know if it is feasible (without CPAN modules)? Thanks, Srini (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: srinivasan_85
7 Replies

3. Programming

mysterious execution failure and core dump generation

Posting again, as previous query had a typo. ======================================================= Hi, I am running a c++ program in unix AIX machine. There are two functions in a file which are being used by a third function in the same file. the two functions being used are of the same type.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suresh_kb211
1 Replies

4. Programming

#define

Hello, I would like to conditionaly comment in my code source some fields from arrays. So I use the property ## from the #define definition. my code: ... #define slet /##* #define etsl *##/ ... const T_SVT_ADLL_A653_DESC A_DESC = { { slet qwerty etsl SLICING,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cypleen
3 Replies

5. Programming

help with #define in C

if i do this in C #define NUM 1234512345 then how come i cant print it out using int main(int argc, char **argv) { printf("%d\n", NUM); return 0; } well the result is -1219236538, why isnt it 1234512345 ? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega666
7 Replies

6. Programming

#define in c

Hi, I had a head file, looks like #define MIN_NUM 10 #define MAX_NUM 10 is there any way to get "MAX_NUM" from 10? thanks. peter (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: laopi
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Debugging mysterious perl script problem

the attached perl script is a deamon that, once kicked off from the command line, it runs in the background and waits for the master server to tell it what plugins to run. the script works well. but the problem is, whenever i start it, after about a few seconds of starting it, i start getting... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
4 Replies
DIR(5)							      BSD File Formats Manual							    DIR(5)

NAME
dir, dirent -- directory file format SYNOPSIS
#include <dirent.h> DESCRIPTION
Directories provide a convenient hierarchical method of grouping files while obscuring the underlying details of the storage medium. A directory file is differentiated from a plain file by a flag in its inode(5) entry. It consists of records (directory entries) each of which contains information about a file and a pointer to the file itself. Directory entries may contain other directories as well as plain files; such nested directories are referred to as subdirectories. A hierarchy of directories and files is formed in this manner and is called a file system (or referred to as a file system tree). Each directory file contains two special directory entries; one is a pointer to the directory itself called dot '.' and the other a pointer to its parent directory called dot-dot '..'. Dot and dot-dot are valid pathnames, however, the system root directory '/', has no parent and dot-dot points to itself like dot. File system nodes are ordinary directory files on which has been grafted a file system object, such as a physical disk or a partitioned area of such a disk. (See mount(2) and mount(8).) The directory entry format is defined in the file <sys/dirent.h> (which should not be included directly by applications): #ifndef _SYS_DIRENT_H_ #define _SYS_DIRENT_H_ #include <machine/ansi.h> /* * The dirent structure defines the format of directory entries returned by * the getdirentries(2) system call. * * A directory entry has a struct dirent at the front of it, containing its * inode number, the length of the entry, and the length of the name * contained in the entry. These are followed by the name padded to a 4 * byte boundary with null bytes. All names are guaranteed null terminated. * The maximum length of a name in a directory is MAXNAMLEN. */ struct dirent { __uint32_t d_fileno; /* file number of entry */ __uint16_t d_reclen; /* length of this record */ __uint8_t d_type; /* file type, see below */ __uint8_t d_namlen; /* length of string in d_name */ #ifdef _POSIX_SOURCE char d_name[255 + 1]; /* name must be no longer than this */ #else #define MAXNAMLEN 255 char d_name[MAXNAMLEN + 1]; /* name must be no longer than this */ #endif }; /* * File types */ #define DT_UNKNOWN 0 #define DT_FIFO 1 #define DT_CHR 2 #define DT_DIR 4 #define DT_BLK 6 #define DT_REG 8 #define DT_LNK 10 #define DT_SOCK 12 #define DT_WHT 14 /* * Convert between stat structure types and directory types. */ #define IFTODT(mode) (((mode) & 0170000) >> 12) #define DTTOIF(dirtype) ((dirtype) << 12) /* * The _GENERIC_DIRSIZ macro gives the minimum record length which will hold * the directory entry. This requires the amount of space in struct direct * without the d_name field, plus enough space for the name with a terminating * null byte (dp->d_namlen+1), rounded up to a 4 byte boundary. */ #define _GENERIC_DIRSIZ(dp) ((sizeof (struct dirent) - (MAXNAMLEN+1)) + (((dp)->d_namlen+1 + 3) &~ 3)) #ifdef _KERNEL #define GENERIC_DIRSIZ(dp) _GENERIC_DIRSIZ(dp) #endif #endif /* !_SYS_DIRENT_H_ */ SEE ALSO
fs(5), inode(5) HISTORY
A dir file format appeared in Version 7 AT&T UNIX. BUGS
The usage of the member d_type of struct dirent is unportable as it is FreeBSD-specific. It also may fail on certain file systems, for exam- ple the cd9660 file system. BSD
April 19, 1994 BSD