Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: mysterious #define
Top Forums Programming mysterious #define Post 302118995 by Perderabo on Friday 25th of May 2007 10:28:43 PM
Old 05-25-2007
This is a common technique.

#define SOMETHING

does not give SOMETHING a value but it causes SOMETHING to become defined. Later you can test if SOMETHING is defined with:
#ifdef SOMETHING
or
#if defined(SOMETHING)

By not giving SOMETHING a value and simply defining you provide a clue to expect SOMETHING to be used in this manner.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Mysterious Server Shutdown

Virtually no UNIX admin experience. Any admin duties are shared by several folks with no special training. Today we had our Sun v880 server, running Solaris 5.8, shutdown for no apparent reason. When we checked on server we found it completely powered down, yet still connected to a fully... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: buechler66
6 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

#define in perl

Hi friends, I am not sure if perl questions can be raised here. :rolleyes: But I have a doubt if there is a way to do "#define" in perl, like in C. Does anyone know if it is feasible (without CPAN modules)? Thanks, Srini (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: srinivasan_85
7 Replies

3. Programming

mysterious execution failure and core dump generation

Posting again, as previous query had a typo. ======================================================= Hi, I am running a c++ program in unix AIX machine. There are two functions in a file which are being used by a third function in the same file. the two functions being used are of the same type.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: suresh_kb211
1 Replies

4. Programming

#define

Hello, I would like to conditionaly comment in my code source some fields from arrays. So I use the property ## from the #define definition. my code: ... #define slet /##* #define etsl *##/ ... const T_SVT_ADLL_A653_DESC A_DESC = { { slet qwerty etsl SLICING,... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cypleen
3 Replies

5. Programming

help with #define in C

if i do this in C #define NUM 1234512345 then how come i cant print it out using int main(int argc, char **argv) { printf("%d\n", NUM); return 0; } well the result is -1219236538, why isnt it 1234512345 ? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: omega666
7 Replies

6. Programming

#define in c

Hi, I had a head file, looks like #define MIN_NUM 10 #define MAX_NUM 10 is there any way to get "MAX_NUM" from 10? thanks. peter (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: laopi
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Debugging mysterious perl script problem

the attached perl script is a deamon that, once kicked off from the command line, it runs in the background and waits for the master server to tell it what plugins to run. the script works well. but the problem is, whenever i start it, after about a few seconds of starting it, i start getting... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
4 Replies
classes(3U)						    InterViews Reference Manual 					       classes(3U)

NAME
classes - unique identifiers for catalog-managed objects and component views SYNOPSIS
#include <Unidraw/classes.h> DESCRIPTION
Classes for catalog-managed objects, including components, commands, tools, state variables, and transfer functions, must be associated with mutually-unique class identifiers that can be written onto disk. This allows a creator object to call the appropriate constructor as part of recreating an object from disk. Also, there must be a mechanism for creating an appropriate view given a subject; that is, there must be an association between a subject class and allowable view classes for that subject. This association is established by defining class identifiers for component views. These identifiers are formed by concatenating the identifier for a given component subject class with an identifier that specifies a ``view category.'' For example, the class identifier for the PostScript external view of a line component is the concatenation of the identifier for the line component subject class and POSTSCRIPT_VIEW identifier, which specifies the category of external views for generating Post- Script. This makes it possible to create an instance of the appropriate PostScript external view subclass given a line component subject. The class identifiers for the Unidraw base and predefined derived classes are specified in the classes.h include file. Applications that define new catalog-managed objects or component views should define unique class identifiers in a similar manner. Class identifiers for catalog-managed objects are simply integers with mnemonic macro definitions, usually the class name in all-uppercase. For example, the identifier for the LineComp component subject class is #define LINE_COMP 9030 View class identifiers are specified using the Combine macro, which takes as its first argument the macro definition of the corresponding component subject identifier; its second argument is an identifier for the view category. The Combine macro itself is then defined with a mnemonic name. For example, the identifier for the PostScript external view class PSLine (which generates PostScript for the line compo- nent subject) is defined as #define PS_LINE Combine(LINE_COMP, POSTSCRIPT_VIEW) where the POSTSCRIPT_VIEW view category identifier is defined as #define POSTSCRIPT_VIEW 9103 N.B.: All class identifiers in a given application must be unique. SEE ALSO
Catalog(3U), Creator(3U) Unidraw 12 June 1990 classes(3U)