Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Want to understand the meaning of the following line Post 302118804 by blowtorch on Thursday 24th of May 2007 09:20:37 AM
Old 05-24-2007
Yes, I know, but I never have '.' in my path...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

what is the meaning here?

#!/bin/sh $ORACLE_HOME/bin/sqlplus -S $orauserid/$orapasswd@$oradb << _TMP alter session set nls_date_format = 'YYYYMMDD HH24:MI'; set linesize 100 set pagesize 400 ok the above is part of a script..i just wanna know what does sqlplus -S means?? as in why we need to insert the -S behind? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: forevercalz
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Meaning of this line in script

Can anyone explain me the meaning of line #2 in these lines of shell script: if ; then ${EXPR} " ${MACTIONS } " : ".* ${ACTION} " >/dev/null 2>&1 || die "$USAGE" else Sorry in case this is a trivial thing (I am not an expert in this). (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: radiatejava
3 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

Line 2238 Unix V6 Comment: You are not expected to understand this.

Here is the famous line 2238 of Unix V6 which is part of some of the most delicate parts of the kernel, context switching. This comment received huge publicity and just may be the the most famous source code comment in computing history. 2230 /* 2231 * If the new process paused because it... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

meaning of !*

can someone please tell what !* means in shell syntax. Regards, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: busyboy
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

meaning of <<!

Hi all, I wanna know the meaning of the last word "<<! " sudo su - user <<! please help on this !!!! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sudharson
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help to understand multi-line

This code cat <<'EOF' Red Green Blue EOF gives output to screen Red Green Blue Same output as echo "Red" echo "Green" echo "Blue" (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jotne
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Meaning

Please let me know the meaning for the below statements in shell scripting. 1) exit -99 -------------------------------- 2) set prgdir = `pwd` set runFlag = runFlag:FALSE ------------------------------------- 3) if (-f $prgdir/maillst.eml) then set distEmail = `cat $prgdir/maillst.eml`... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lg123
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is meaning of given line?

Hello Guys, I was study some links, where I was unable to understand below line, please enhance me these code. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaditya321
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to understand how the line in perl program works as shell commend

I have a file with two line, one is header, the other actual value: TYPCD|ETID2|ETID|LEG ID|PTYP|PTYP SUB|TRD STATUS|CXL REASON|CACT|CACTNM|ENCD|ENC D NM|TRDR|ASDT|TRDT|MTDT|STDT|LS|SECID|SECID TYP|SECNM|PAR|STCC|MARKET PRICE|DIS MARKET PRICE|MARKET PRICE CURRENCY|SRC OF SETTLEMENT... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: digioleg54
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to understand special character for line reading in bash shell?

I am still learning shell scripting. Recently I see a function for read configuration. But some of special character make me confused. I checked online to find answer. It was not successful. I post the code here to consult with expert or guru to get better understanding on these special characters... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: duke0001
3 Replies
basename(3C)															      basename(3C)

NAME
basename(), dirname() - extract components of a path name SYNOPSIS
DESCRIPTION
takes the path name pointed to by path and returns a pointer to the final component of the path name, deleting any trailing '/' characters. If the string consists entirely of '/' characters, returns a pointer to the string "/". If path is a null pointer or points to the empty string, returns a pointer to the string ".". takes the path name pointed to by path and returns a pointer to a string that is a path name of the parent directory of that file. If path is a null pointer, points to the empty string, or does not contain a '/' character, then returns a pointer to the string ".". RETURN VALUE
returns a pointer to the final component of path. returns a pointer to a string that is the parent directory of path. EXAMPLES
The following code fragment calls and WARNINGS
and may overwrite path. and in non-threaded applications currently use a static buffer in each function to hold the result string. Any subsequent calls to and may overwrite the static buffer. At some release after HP-UX 11i Version 1, HP may use to allocate the buffers. Once allocated, those buffers will be reused and their addresses will not change; however, if the fails, and would return "." and would be set to AUTHOR
and were developed by HP. SEE ALSO
basename(1), thread_safety(5). STANDARDS CONFORMANCE
basename(3C)