Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: How to get rid of last line
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How to get rid of last line Post 302118664 by anbu23 on Wednesday 23rd of May 2007 12:29:50 PM
Old 05-23-2007
Code:
sed "/last_line_pattern/{$ d;}" filename >temp
mv temp filename

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

getting rid of $ when entered at the command line

Hi everyone, Can someone possibly help me with this problem I am having please. I wrote a Korn shell script to manipulate currency amounts in a way that a person could use this script to determine the minimum number of coins required to make a certain amount. for example when entered on the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bashirpopal
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get rid of blank line in a flat text file

Hi, I have a flat text file which contains blank line between each text line. Is there any command to get rid of it? Thanks for your help (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: xfang
11 Replies

3. Solaris

getting rid of ^H

Hello everybody I have a very annoying problem on my Solaris (Unix in general) servers. When I open a shell and press the backspace button, it results in a ^H character being printed on screen. I can resolve it by typing stty erase <backspace>, but does anyone know how I can prevent the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: soliberus
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to get rid of ==>

ok the assignment question: That English paper you were writing on the works of Lewis Carroll is due in a few hours and you have forgeotten the name of the text file in which you has written a number of quotations to use in your paper. Luckily, you know that the file is somewhere in your... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mek86
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to get rid of ^M in the file

Hi I have a file wich contains ^M characters, looks like these are from DOS, Is there a way to get rid of them? Thanks -A (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aoussenko
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to get rid of ^[[D

Hi All, Im selecting a large record from a table and putting it in a file in the unix box. The file has a hidden character "^[[D " present in it. Can any one help me in getting rid of the character Thanks in advance, (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: madhan@29
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get rid of the 7th character of each line if this is a space

I have a text file like this ... B 16 1.340E+05 A 18 3.083E+02 Wu123 1.365E+02 ... I would like to get rid of the 7th character of each line if this is a space character. Thank you, Sarah (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: f_o_555
5 Replies

8. Linux

How to get rid of ^m

Hi all, I am new to unix....pls help me with this. I have a binary file generating output by passing arguments in bash.when i open the output file in VI i can see that ^m is included in between most of lines,as a result when i pass this file to my java application it dosent parse the data... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asheshrocky
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Getting rid of ^M

I have a text file with hundreds of 32-character hash codes in it, each terminated with a linefeed (/l, or ^M). 185ead08e45a5cbb51e9f7b0b384aaa2 57643e1a17252a9fc746d49c3da04168 60cba11d09221d52aaabb5db30f408a2 2b75ee6e5c2efc31b4ee9a190d09a4df ...... etc. I want to create a file for each... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: teledon
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Trying to get rid of a duplicate output line...

Hi folks, I'm trying to work on a script that will grab a router interface report and generate the numbers of "in use" and "un-used" ports per device. Right now, I've got a cut down of the report as follows: sing /usr/apps/siteName/etc/DCAFT-9K.cmds for send text Connecting using... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Marc G
11 Replies
ARP(8)							    BSD System Manager's Manual 						    ARP(8)

NAME
arp -- address resolution display and control SYNOPSIS
arp [-n] hostname arp [-nv] -a arp [-v] -d -a arp [-v] -d hostname [proxy] arp -s hostname ether_addr [temp] [pub [proxy]] arp -f filename DESCRIPTION
The arp program displays and modifies the Internet-to-Ethernet address translation tables used by the address resolution protocol (arp(4)). With no flags, the program displays the current ARP entry for hostname. The host may be specified by name or by number, using Internet dot notation. Available options: -a The program displays all of the current ARP entries. -d A super-user may delete an entry for the host called hostname with the -d flag. If the proxy keyword is specified, only the pub- lished ``proxy only'' ARP entry for this host will be deleted. If used with -a instead of a hostname, it will delete all arp entries. -f Causes the file filename to be read and multiple entries to be set in the ARP tables. Entries in the file should be of the form hostname ether_addr [temp] [pub] with argument meanings as described below. -n Show network addresses as numbers (normally arp attempts to display addresses symbolically). -s hostname ether_addr Create an ARP entry for the host called hostname with the Ethernet address ether_addr. The Ethernet address is given as six hex bytes separated by colons. The entry will be permanent unless the word temp is given in the command. If the word pub is given, the entry will be "published"; i.e., this system will act as an ARP server, responding to requests for hostname even though the host address is not its own. If the word proxy is also given, the published entry will be a ``proxy only'' entry. -v Display verbose information when adding or deleting ARP entries. SEE ALSO
inet(3), arp(4), ifconfig(8) HISTORY
The arp command appeared in 4.3BSD. BSD
January 31, 2006 BSD