Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Windows XP backup utility
Special Forums Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions Windows XP backup utility Post 302118568 by Perderabo on Wednesday 23rd of May 2007 12:14:36 AM
Old 05-23-2007
The recovery diskette is just a bootable disk to get the ball rolling. I have never used Microsoft's backup utility, so I don't really know how well it works. I backup to writable dvd's using the Acronis backup utility. It's not free, but I have used it to restore my entire system after a disk swap.

Actually, I wonder how you can backup to a thumb drive. You must have a small C drive or a very big thumb drive.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Backup To Windows Box

Hi, We have one server (RedHat 7.1) in our department that has websrvr and dB. We do not have a b/u device for this server. I have been tasked with backing up one of our databases to a shared folder on a windows box. That box is backed up via Veritas NetBackup to our DLT jukebox (which I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vancouver_joe
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

backup unix files from a windows machine

hello guys , Is there a way to backup unix files from a windows 2003 server i have a tape drive in the unix box but just for extra security what would be the best way to backup unix files . Thanks a lot (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: josramon
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

NOHUP utility in windows / DOS

Hi is there any similar nohup utility in DOS / Windows as in unix ?. If yes plz let me know the implememntation soon. Its very urgent. Regards Aru (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aarora_98
2 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

Utility for Multiple windows

Iam looking for a utility in which i can run the same command in mutliple servers at the same time in multiple windows. I remember somebody mentioned to me about that,i would like to know if its available for unix servers as a windows application. I tried google for it but couldn't find any. Can... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Jartan
8 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

backup through batch file in windows

Hi, I would like to backup particular files from unix to windows for every day through ftp to my desktop. For that anyone tell me syntax for create batch file in windows. Regards, Arulkumar (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: arulkumar
0 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix / Linux Dialog Utility - how to open 2+ more dialog windows ?

Hi, example of Unix / Linux dialog utility is below. I am going to use dialog as simple GUI for testing of a modem. So I need to combine some dialog boxes into one. I need to have input box, output box, info box, dialog box, radiobox as in any standard program with graphical user... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jack2
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Best unix incremental backup utility?

Hello everyone. Could you please advise of what would be the best Unix (Debian 4) program for regular (daily or weekly) incremental backups? I'm not sure whether the backups will be stored on a "backup" drive on the same system or on an external "backup" system, but we would like to have a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nottrobin
2 Replies

8. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Backup apps for Windows server, linux clients?

Hi guys. What would you recommend me a software running on Windows, and it is capable for backing up Windows and Linux (unix is optional) machines? The application should have following features: - Encryption. - Authentication - Open source if possible :) ... I found Amanda, but it... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bsddaemon
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Create a backup utility

hi there, looking for a tad assistance if at all possible, im trying to create a backup that will backup all files with a particular .ext to a new folder with the same file name but also with the last modified time and date in the file name ie so if the file information.txt was last modified at... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: jgraham95
3 Replies

10. AIX

Listing tape in AIX | backup taken from windows

Hi, We have backup on LTO-3 tape it was taken from windows via windows backup utility, now the issue is that we want to list the content of tape in aix 6.1. Kindly help. Regards Salman (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: salmanraza
3 Replies
BACKUP_STATUS(8)					       AFS Command Reference						  BACKUP_STATUS(8)

NAME
backup_status - Reports a Tape Coordinator's status SYNOPSIS
backup status [-portoffset <TC port offset>] [-localauth] [-cell <cell name>] [-help] backup st [-p <TC port offset>] [-l] [-c <cell name>] [-h] DESCRIPTION
The backup status command displays which operation, if any, the indicated Tape Coordinator is currently executing. OPTIONS
-portoffset <TC port offset> Specifies the port offset number of the Tape Coordinator for which to report the status. -localauth Constructs a server ticket using a key from the local /etc/openafs/server/KeyFile file. The backup command interpreter presents it to the Backup Server, Volume Server and VL Server during mutual authentication. Do not combine this flag with the -cell argument. For more details, see backup(8). -cell <cell name> Names the cell in which to run the command. Do not combine this argument with the -localauth flag. For more details, see backup(8). -help Prints the online help for this command. All other valid options are ignored. OUTPUT
The following message indicates that the Tape Coordinator is not currently performing an operation: Tape coordinator is idle Otherwise, the output includes a message of the following format for each running or pending operation: Task <task_ID>: <operation>: <status> where <task_ID> Is a task identification number assigned by the Tape Coordinator. It begins with the Tape Coordinator's port offset number. <operation> Identifies the operation the Tape Coordinator is performing, which is initiated by the indicated command: Dump The backup dump command. Restore The backup diskrestore, backup volrestore, or backup volsetrestore commands. Labeltape The backup labeltape command. Scantape The backup scantape command. SaveDb The backup savedb command. RestoreDb The backup restoredb command. <status> Indicates the job's current status in one of the following messages. number Kbytes transferred, volume volume_name For a running dump operation, indicates the number of kilobytes copied to tape or a backup data file so far, and the volume currently being dumped. number Kbytes, restore.volume For a running restore operation, indicates the number of kilobytes copied into AFS from a tape or a backup data file so far. [abort requested] The backup kill command was issued, but the termination signal has yet to reach the Tape Coordinator. [abort sent] The operation is canceled by the backup kill command. Once the Backup System removes an operation from the queue or stops it from running, it no longer appears at all in the output from the command. [butc contact lost] The backup command interpreter cannot reach the Tape Coordinator. The message can mean either that the Tape Coordinator handling the operation was terminated or failed while the operation was running, or that the connection to the Tape Coordinator timed out. [done] The Tape Coordinator has finished the operation. [drive wait] The operation is waiting for the specified tape drive to become free. [operator wait] The Tape Coordinator is waiting for the backup operator to insert a tape in the drive. If the Tape Coordinator is communicating with an XBSA server (a third-party backup utility that implements the Open Group's Backup Service API [XBSA]), the following message appears last in the output: <XBSA_program> Tape coordinator where <XBSA_program> is the name of the XBSA-compliant program. EXAMPLES
The following example shows that the Tape Coordinator with port offset 4 has so far dumped about 1.5 MB of data for the current dump operation, and is currently dumping the volume named "user.pat.backup": % backup status -portoffset 4 Task 4001: Dump: 1520 Kbytes transferred, volume user.pat.backup PRIVILEGE REQUIRED
The issuer must be listed in the /etc/openafs/server/UserList file on every machine where the Backup Server is running, or must be logged onto a server machine as the local superuser "root" if the -localauth flag is included. SEE ALSO
backup(8), butc(8) COPYRIGHT
IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved. This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0. It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell. OpenAFS 2012-03-26 BACKUP_STATUS(8)