Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris [ID 702911 mail.warning] gethostbyaddr(ip address) failed Post 302117957 by sysgate on Thursday 17th of May 2007 10:36:31 AM
Old 05-17-2007
This happens when someone is trying to send a mail. It seems that one of more of the IP addresses configured on your system does not have a matching entry in /etc/hosts. sendmail does a "reverse" lookup (input IP address, output hostname) when it starts up, generating the error. You can either fix /etc/host and your Nameservice, or ignore the message.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Sendmail [279] [ID 702911 mail.alert] ERROR!!!

Why do I heep getting this error: I do have another domain name on the network "ciscolab.com" And it is a windows server. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: louisd11
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to use gethostbyaddr() function

i meet a question. i don't know how to use struct hostent *gethostby(const void *addr, size_t length, int type) function to get remote computer hostent struct information.:) #include <sys/socket.h> #include <sys/time.h> #include <netinet/in.h> #include <netdb.h> #include <stdio.h>... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rebort
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Pull E-mail address from file, send e-mail

Hello, I am new to perl and need to create a script that will read a file and pull a name from the file and send e-mail. How can I use the following awk statement in a perl script? grep UNIXadmins /root/mail.conf | awk '{ print $2}' and use the output to send a e-mail. Any help would... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DC Heard
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problem with Mail command: exec failed. errno=2.

I am trying to send email using the "mail" command. I keep getting an "exec failed. errno=2." message. Here is one the commands I have tried: mail test@mycompany.com < test1.out Any ideas what may be causing this error msg? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: hawkman2k
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

mail using mail address in a file

I have a file which contains few email address. I have few scripts which use the same mail address. so if any change in mail id like if any user do not want to receive the mail i can just edit a single file instead of many scripts. So i want the scripts to use that file. How can this be done. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gpk_newbie
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sendmail[1234]: [ID 702911 mail.alert] dowork: sl_hrtob failed

When changing my server back as the mail server, I get the following error: sendmail12345]: dowork: sl_hrtob failed When looking at previous posts similar to my issue, none of them work. I do not have DNS and have ensured that the mail domain is correct. Can anyone else help out with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: PuterGirl5
2 Replies

7. Linux

Received disconnect from IP address: too many failed userauth_requests

Hi i am getting below error when doing ssh to the destination server. Please assist (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: prash358
1 Replies

8. Red Hat

How to send mail with sender mail address and name?

Hi, I am trying to send a mail using "mail" command in unix. I wanted to give sender name and sender address. I tried different options ,but still it shows only mail address(No name). mail -s "Alert mail : Nothing running !!!" $email -- -F"Mail Alert" -fno-reply@alert.com But I am getting... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaggy
4 Replies

9. Forum Support Area for Unregistered Users & Account Problems

Further to my query re: failed attempt to change email address on existing account

Neo Thanks for your reply to my original post, entitled "Problem changing the email address associated with my unix.com account". I am unable to reply to you in that thread, as I am unable to log-on to unix.com! From what you said about purging dormant accounts, it is likely that my account... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: irb
1 Replies