Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users how to know that a perticular process is started!!! Post 302117891 by bishweshwar on Thursday 17th of May 2007 04:03:18 AM
Old 05-17-2007
Code:
#!/bin/sh
B $$ >/dev/null 1>/dev/null 2>&1 &
exec A.orig $@

It will even give you the pid of the program as an argument.[/QUOTE]

------------------------------------------------------------------------

what does the second line does here....can you explain.

thx
bishweshwar

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

PID of process started in background??

I am having a problem getting the PID of a process I start in the background is a csh. In tcsh and sh it's simple $! give it to you But in csh this just returns Variable syntax From the man page it should work but it doesn't???? Any help. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stilllooking
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

is there any way to know how much time process was running from the moment it started

i have process that was started few days ago , is there way to know by its id how long it was alive in the system ? Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
2 Replies

3. Programming

Child process is not getting started

Hi, When i m trying to run below code,its entering into wait stage. output: In parent pid=2134 // some random value assigned to child process parent waiting..... and then it keeps on waiting for child to get terminate Y this child is not getting... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Crab
5 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Process started on console

Please can someone describe what causes undesired process startup on system console. ps -ef output is like: root 1763 1 0 16:22:24 console 0:00 /bin/sh /usr/System........ process is blocking system console for any access (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zverzak
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get rid of message when script kills process it started?

When I run the following script I get the following error message whcih I would like to suppress when the kill is issued: ./kill.sh: line 13: 31854 Killed nc -l -p 12345 Script: #!/bin/bash echo running nc in the background nc -l -p 12345 & PID=$! echo nc pid: $PID ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cmarkle
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Process id of the exe started with nohup

Hi, I have a strange problem. In my shell script, i am startting another program (a c++ exe) with nohup . I am getting the process id of this started process with using $! I am writing this process id into another file so that i can keep checking for this process ids to check whether the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: parvathi_rd
2 Replies

7. Red Hat

Killing child daemon started by parent process

Hi All, Hope this is right area to ask this question. I have a shell script (bash) "wrapper.sh", which contains few simple shell command which executes a "server.sh" (conatins code to execute a java server) as a daemon. Now what I want to kill this "server.sh" so that the server should... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jw_amp
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

stopping process started with "while"

Hello unix forum ! how do i get rid of this while thing ? if started some where by crontab for example. while ; do ./script > /dev/null ; done & or for example if in terminal while ; do ./script ; done & and the script is outputing and I can't write commands. other... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: max_475
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to check whether a process started at particular time

I want to check whether a particular process has started at 10:00a.m or not. I can check process by ps -fu but dont know how to check it with respect to time. Could anyone help me with this? ---------- Post updated at 11:14 AM ---------- Previous update was at 10:52 AM ---------- can i use... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: kishore kumar
9 Replies

10. Programming

Can someone summarize what exactly this perticular code is doing

#include<stdio.h> #include<string.h> int main() { char a={0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9}; printf("\n--%s-- unable to access values",a); printf("\n--%d %d-- able to access through direct acess",a,a); printf("\n--%d-- but the failing to read the size\n",strlen(a)); return 0; } (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: hk108
2 Replies
asadmin-start-domain(1AS)					   User Commands					 asadmin-start-domain(1AS)

NAME
asadmin-start-domain, start-domain - starts the given domain SYNOPSIS
start-domain [--domaindir install_dir/domains] [--terse=false] [--echo=false] [--verbose=false] [--debug] [domain_name] start-domain starts the specified domain. If there is only one domain in the default domain directory (install_dir/domains), then no oper- and is required to start the domain. However, if there is more than one domain, the domain operand must be specified. This command can only be run locally. OPTIONS
--domaindir directory where the domain is to be started. If specified, path must be accessible in the filesystem. If not speci- fied, the domain is started in the default install_dir/domains directory. --terse indicates that any output data must be very concise, typically avoiding human-friendly sentences and favoring well- formatted data for consumption by a script. Default is false. --echo setting to true will echo the command line statement on the standard output. Default is false. --verbose by default this flag is set to false. If set to true, detailed server startup output is displayed. Press CTRL-C to kill the server. Press CTRL- to print a thread dump. --debug by default this flag is set to false. If set to true, the server is started in debug mode and prints the JPDA port on the console. OPERANDS
domain_name name of the domain. Must be a unique name. Example 1: Using start-domain asadmin> start-domain sampleDomain Starting Domain sampleDomain, please wait. Domain sampleDomain started Where: the sampleDomain domain is started. EXIT STATUS
0 command executed successfully 1 error in executing the command asadmin-create-domain(1AS), asadmin-delete-domain(1AS), asadmin-stop-domain(1AS), asadmin-list-domains(1AS) J2EE 1.4 SDK March 2004 asadmin-start-domain(1AS)