Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting communicating wth another user aside from "wall" and "write" Post 302117124 by Deanne on Thursday 10th of May 2007 11:43:18 PM
Old 05-11-2007
Thanks TinWalrus!

I already have the script for determining the specific user (in a specific host) and the file, so I just have to find a way to send.

# write the file to all sessions of the user
#
for u in $(who | grep "^${user} " | awk '{print $1":"$2}'); do
a=$(echo "${u}" | cut -d: -f1,1)
b=$(echo "${u}" | cut -d: -f2,2)
cat ${file} |write $a $b
done

# remove temp file if exists
#
if [ -f $0.$$ ]; then
rm $0.$$
fi

This is very helpful. Will translate this to cshell and play around with it.

Question. The for-loop uses "who" and "write"... it means sender should be remotely logged in to the same host of the receiver ? What part determines the host to which to send the message?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Need info:"talk,write and wall"

hi nu 2 this forum., can any one tell me how to 'talk' to a person on other system who is connected in a network(LAN) via terminal....... and when to use wall,write and talk.. regards leenus :) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mr.anilbabu
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to remove a string

logs: "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to get the following result: abc abc xyz xyz xyz (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: timmywong
8 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems with "write" and "wall"

Hello, I am using VirtualBox to simulate a small network with two Linux computers, the host is Mac OS X. My problem is that I can't send "write" and "wall" messages from the host to one of those Linux computers. Here is what works: - The virtual Linux computer answers "ping" messages that have... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: 123_abc
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

What is the significance of sh -s in ssh -qtt ${user}@${host} "sh -s "${version}"" < test.sh?

Please can you help me understand the significance of providing arguments under sh -s in > ssh -qtt ${user}@${host} "sh -s "${version}"" < test.sh (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Sree10
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies

9. AIX

Apache 2.4 directory cannot display "Last modified" "Size" "Description"

Hi 2 all, i have had AIX 7.2 :/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -v Server version: Apache/2.4.12 (Unix) Server built: May 25 2015 04:58:27 :/#:/# /usr/IBMAHS/bin/apachectl -M Loaded Modules: core_module (static) so_module (static) http_module (static) mpm_worker_module (static) ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: penchev
3 Replies
wall(1M)						  System Administration Commands						  wall(1M)

NAME
wall - write to all users SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/wall [-a] [-g grpname] [filename] DESCRIPTION
wall reads its standard input until an end-of-file. It then sends this message to all currently logged-in users preceded by: Broadcast Message from ... If filename is given, then the message is read in from that file. Normally, pseudo-terminals that do not correspond to rlogin sessions are ignored. Thus, when using a window system, the message appears only on the console window. However, -a will send the message even to such pseudo-terminals. It is used to warn all users, typically prior to shutting down the system. The sender must be superuser to override any protections the users may have invoked See mesg(1). wall runs setgid() to the group ID tty, in order to have write permissions on other user's terminals. See setuid(2). wall will detect non-printable characters before sending them to the user's terminal. Control characters will appear as a " ^ " followed by the appropriate ASCII character; characters with the high-order bit set will appear in "meta" notation. For example, `03' is dis- played as `^C' and `372' as `M-z'. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -a Broadcast message to the console and pseudo-terminals. -g grpname Broadcast to the users in a specified group only, per the group database (see group(4)). ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
If the LC_* variables (LC_CTYPE, LC_TIME, LC_COLLATE, LC_NUMERIC, and LC_MONETARY) are not set in the environment, the operational behav- ior of wall for each corresponding locale category is determined by the value of the LANG environment variable. See environ(5). If LC_ALL is set, its contents are used to override both the LANG and the other LC_* variables. If none of the above variables are set in the envi- ronment, the "C" (U.S. style) locale determines how wall behaves. FILES
/dev/tty* ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------------------------------------+ |ATTRIBUTE TYPE ATTRIBUTE VALUE | |Availability SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------------------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mesg(1), write(1), setuid(2), attributes(5), environ(5) NOTES
wall displays ``Cannot send to ...'' when the open on a user's tty file fails. SunOS 5.11 13 Jul 1994 wall(1M)