Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ufsrestore and Exayte 220
Operating Systems Solaris ufsrestore and Exayte 220 Post 302117099 by wilbur on Thursday 10th of May 2007 06:22:12 PM
Old 05-10-2007
ufsrestore and Exayte 220

I have a set of tapes that contain a full system backup done with 'ufsdump' on an Exabyte 220. I don't know how many tapes the backup spans, but I'd guess at least 3-4 tapes (the set is 20, but some of that is subsequent incremental backups). I used 'ufsrestore ilv' and was able to traverse at least some of the directory system on the tape, but not all of it. In particular I can 'cd' into '/home/project' but there is nothing in there. There should be several hundred megabytes of data. What is seems like is that the only part of the directory structure that shows up is that part of the backup that is on the first tape, but if I try to use the 'ufsrestore' command on any other tape I get an error about it not being volume 1.

So what's the deal here? Is it not possible to use the interactive mode if the backup spans multiple tapes or am I just doing something wrong? Is my only solution to extract the entire backup to disk?

6 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ufsrestore -i

Hi there, I have a problem at the moment trying to restore a directory from a Super DLT tape with about 3 weeks worth of backups on it. I need to be able to get the last backup performed on this tape but using ufsrestore -i it only restores the first backup which is no good to me. There is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gerwhelan
4 Replies

2. Solaris

ufsrestore

on sparc solaris 2.8 hosts, HOSTB, after changing to /dir1 need to: connect to tape drive on HostA. change directory to /dir0/dir1 on tape and restore everything under that path to /dir1 directory. could i get help?. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: S26+
1 Replies

3. Solaris

ufsrestore?

I'm trying to restore a server from a backup tape. I've partitioned my drive, and I've run into a problem; After extracting everything from the tape, It seems as if only the directory structure is intact. Here are my steps: 1. booted from cdrom to single user mode boot cdrom -s 2. used... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ECBROWN
3 Replies

4. Solaris

ufsrestore

Hi , I accidentally deleted crontab entries and I need to restore back urgently ! we use a ufsdump with 0cfu option. I like to know how to restrore / retrieve to different location for crontab file only from the backup. Thanks. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: skully
4 Replies

5. Hardware

Canon LiDE 220 Installation

I am trying to install a Canon LiDE 220 scanner on Debian 8.5 64 bit, running on a Dell Latitude E5400 As far as Ubuntu is concerned, it can be installed. I am having no luck with Debian 8.5 This is what I have root@server1:/etc# sane-find-scanner # sane-find-scanner will now... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Meow613
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ufsrestore

Good Afternoon, I'm going to attempt a ufsrestore of a Solaris 9 machine from a connected NAS containing the ufsdumps. The idea is to be able to take ufsdumps of a failed machine (machine 1), and use them to set up a backup machine (machine 2). (I'm testing for disaster recovery) Note... (52 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stellaman1977
52 Replies
TAPELIST(5)						   File formats and conventions 					       TAPELIST(5)

NAME
tapelist - The list of Amanda volumes in use DESCRIPTION
The tapelist file contains the list of tapes in active use. This file is not ordinarily ordinarily edited or examined manually. Its format may change, or it may be removed altogether, in future versions of Amanda. It contains lines of the form: YYYYMMDD label flags [BARCODE:barcode] [META:meta] [#comment] Where YYYYMMDD is the date the tape was written, label is a label for the tape as written by amlabel and flags is one of "reuse" or "no-reuse" and tells Amanda whether the tape may be reused. A non-reusable tape will not be overwritten, even if it is older than dumpcycle dumps. See the reuse options of amadmin(8). The optional barcode is prefixed with 'BARCODE' if the volume have a barcode. The optional meta label is prefixed with 'META' if the volume is on a meta volume. The optional comment is prefixed with a '#' and continues to the end of the line. Amanda will maintain this comment until the tape is overwritten. Note that comments are not allowed on blank lines. The file is sorted such that the most-recently used tape appears on the first line, and the oldest tape appears on the last line. Amdump and amflush will by default refuse to write to an unlabeled tape, or to a labeled tape that is considered active or marked "no-reuse". There must be more tapes in active rotation (see the tapecycle option) than there are runs in the backup cycle (see the dumpcycle option) to prevent overwriting a backup image that would be needed to do a full recovery. SEE ALSO
amanda(8), amanda.conf(5) The Amanda Wiki: : http://wiki.zmanda.com/ AUTHORS
James da Silva <jds@amanda.org> Stefan G. Weichinger <sgw@amanda.org> Dustin J. Mitchell <dustin@zmanda.com> Zmanda, Inc. (http://www.zmanda.com) Amanda 3.3.1 02/21/2012 TAPELIST(5)