Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers echo is too slow. HELP with Awk Post 302117085 by eja on Thursday 10th of May 2007 12:22:08 PM
Old 05-10-2007
Thank you very much this works just fine.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to echo ???

Hi All, I have the below command. awk 'BEGIN {printf("%1s","cat")}' > temp.txt can i do the same using echo ?If So, how? Thanks JS (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jisha
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using echo in AWK

Hello, I have written the script below to extract specific data from a text file and then use the data extracted as parameters for another shell script call 'loto_tsim'. Everytime I run my script it complains about the 'echo' line. Am I missing something? I have spent hours and still cannot solve... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: jermaine4ever
10 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

The builtin split function in AWK is too slow

I have a text file that contains 4 million lines, each line contains 2 fields(colon as field separator). as shown: 123:444,555,666,777,888,345 233:5444,555,666,777,888,345 623:454,585,664,773,888,345 ...... Here I have to split the second field(can be up to 40,000 fields) by comma into an... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: kevintse
14 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cut, sed, awk too slow to retrieve line - other options?

Hi, I have a script that, basically, has two input files of this type: file1 key1=value1_1_1 key2=value1_2_1 key4=value1_4_1 ... file2 key2=value2_2_1 key2=value2_2_2 key3=value2_3_1 key4=value2_4_1 ... My files are 10k lines big each (approx). The keys are strings that don't... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: fzd
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Improve performance of echo |awk

Hi, I have a script which looks like this. Input file data1^20 data2^30 #!/bin/sh file"/home/Test.txt" while read line do echo $line |awk 'BEGIN { FS = "^" } ; { print $2 }' echo $line |awk 'BEGIN { FS = "^" } ; { print $1 }' | gzip | wc -c done <"$file" How can i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chetan.c
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Making a faster alternative to a slow awk command

Hi, I have a large number of input files with two columns of numbers. For example: 83 1453 99 3255 99 8482 99 7372 83 175 I only wish to retain lines where the numbers fullfil two requirements. E.g: =83 1000<=<=2000 To do this I use the following... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: s052866
10 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with writing to output - awk, echo

Hello all, I wrote this command line for some calculation on my given input files based on another input file which is a txt file. while read BAM REGION; do samtools view $BAM $REGION | awk '{if ($2==0) print $0}' | wc -l >>log.txt; echo "$REGION"; done >> log.txt <regions.txt It takes... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: @man
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combining echo and awk

i have a script that has many lines similar to: echo $var | awk -F"--" '{print $2}' as you can see, two commands are being run here. echo and awk. id like to combine this into one awk statement. i tried: awk -F"--" "BEGIN{print $var; print $2}" but i get error messages. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Echo awk output from its variable

Stumped with the formatting of the awk output when used with variables, e.g.: awk -F, 'BEGIN {OFS=","} print {$2,$3,$4}' $infile1 produces the desired output (with rows), but when echoing the variable below, the output is one continuous line var1=$(awk -F, 'BEGIN {OFS=","} print... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ux4me
4 Replies

10. OS X (Apple)

Slow FFT in ksh93 and awk.

Well i set myself a challenge to have an FFT function using nothing but ksh93 and awk. It took some serious jiggery pokery and concentration with all the brackets and '$' characters but here is the result. It is RADIX 2 only, but hey, show me another UNIX shell script that does it. It IS SLOW but... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
17 Replies
bup-newliner(1) 					      General Commands Manual						   bup-newliner(1)

NAME
bup-newliner - make sure progress messages don't overlap with output SYNOPSIS
<any command> 2>&1 | bup newliner DESCRIPTION
bup newliner is run automatically by bup. You shouldn't need it unless you're using it in some other program. Progress messages emitted by bup (and some other tools) are of the form "Message ### content", that is, a status message containing a vari- able-length number, followed by a carriage return character and no newline. If these messages are printed more than once, they overwrite each other, so what the user sees is a single line with a continually-updating number. This works fine until some other message is printed. For example, progress messages are usually printed to stderr, but other program mes- sages might be printed to stdout. If those messages are shorter than the progress message line, the screen will be left with weird looking artifacts as the two messages get mixed together. bup newliner prints extra space characters at the right time to make sure that doesn't happen. If you're running a program that has problems with these artifacts, you can usually fix them by piping its stdout and its stderr through bup newliner. BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-newliner(1)