Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Gsub and nawk
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Gsub and nawk Post 302117028 by scotty_123 on Thursday 10th of May 2007 05:30:12 AM
Old 05-10-2007
Gsub and nawk

Hello

I have problem with reg-expr and function gsub();

File that I want to preprocess look like this:
int table [variable][variable];
printf(" variable : ", variable) ;

Using nawk I try something like this:
for ( .... )
{
line = $0
reg_expr = "[^\"][ a-zA-Z0-9\+\-\*\/\&\^\%\#\!\~\,\[\]\.\=]*" "" variable "" "[ a-zA-Z0-9\+\-\*\/\&\^\%\#\!\~\,\[\]\.\=]*[^\"]" ;
gsub( reg_expr ,'200',line)
print line
}

After preprocesing it should look like this :

int table[200][200];
printf("variable:", 200);

My program shouldn't change "variable" in function printf.
Main problem is with quotation marks .
After removing expresions like: " .. . . . .." , I can write :
gsub(variable ,'200', line ), and everything is fine .
Second problem with my reg_expr is that it's removes braces and other characters .

How to write proper reg-expr ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with AWK and gsub

Hello, I have a variable that displays the following results from a JVM.... 1602100K->1578435K I would like to collect the value of 1578435 which is the value after a garbage collection. I've tried the following command but it looks like I can't get the > to work. Any suggestions as... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: npolite
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to access values of awk/nawk variables outside the awk/nawk block?

i'm new to shell scripting and have a problem please help me in the script i have a nawk block which has a variable count nawk{ . . . count=count+1 print count } now i want to access the value of the count variable outside the awk block,like.. s=`expr count / m` (m is... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saniya
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk gsub

Hi all I want to do a simple substitution in awk but I am getting unexpected output. My function accepts a time and then prints out a validation message if the time is valid. However some times may include a : and i want to strip this out if it exists before i get to the validation. I have shown... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pxy2d1
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Awk gsub error.

I want to replace comma with space and "*646#" with space. I am using the following code: nawk -F"|" '{gsub(","," ",$3); gsub(/\*646\#/"," ",$3);print}' OFS="|" file I am getting following error: Help is appreciated (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinnacle
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk gsub with variables?

Hey, I would like to replace a string by a new one. Teh problem is that both strings should be variables to be flexible, because I am having a lot of files (with the same structure, but in different folders) for i in daysim_* do cd $i/5/ folder=`pwd |awk '{print $1}'` awk '{ if... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ergy1983
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nesting - two nawk into one nawk

hi people; this is my two awk code: nawk '/cell+-/{r=(NF==8) ? $4FS$5FS$6 : NF==7 ? $4FS$5 : $4 ;c=split(r,rr);for (i=1;i<=c;i++){if(rr != "111111"){printf($3" %d ""\n",(i+3))}}printf("")}' /home/gc_sw/str.txt > /home/gc_sw/predwn.txt nawk -F'*' '{gsub(/ *$/,"")}$0=$1$($NF-2)'... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gc_sw
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to use gsub and array

Hello, i'm searching for a solution to this problem. I have 2 files, the first one is like: <HTML> <HEAD> <TITLE>{$String1}</TITLE> </HEAD> <BODY> <P>{$String2}</P> </BODY> </HTML>and the other one: {$String1}; french {$String2}; italian {$String3}; english ... {$StringN}; I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: heaven25
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

GSUB/Regex Help

I am trying to write my gsub regex to replace a bunch of special characters with spaces, so i can split it to an array and look at each word independently. However, my regex skills are slightly lacking and I appear to be missing a quote or something here. I am trying to replace the following... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: nitrobass24
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk gsub

Hi, I want to print the first column with original value and without any double quotes The output should look like <original column>|<column without quotes> $ cat a.txt "20121023","19301229712","100397" "20121023","19361629712","100778" "20121030A","19361630412","100838"... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ysrini
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nawk Problem - nawk out of space in tostring on

Hi.. i am running nawk scripts on solaris system to get records of file1 not in file2 and find duplicate records in a while with the following scripts -compare nawk 'NR==FNR{a++;next;} !a {print"line"FNR $0}' file1 file2duplicate - nawk '{a++}END{for(i in a){if(a-1)print i,a}}' file1in the middle... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: Abhiraj Singh
12 Replies
set(n)							       Tcl Built-In Commands							    set(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
set - Read and write variables SYNOPSIS
set varName ?value? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Returns the value of variable varName. If value is specified, then set the value of varName to value, creating a new variable if one doesn't already exist, and return its value. If varName contains an open parenthesis and ends with a close parenthesis, then it refers to an array element: the characters before the first open parenthesis are the name of the array, and the characters between the parentheses are the index within the array. Otherwise varName refers to a scalar variable. Normally, varName is unqualified (does not include the names of any containing namespaces), and the variable of that name in the current namespace is read or written. If varName includes names- pace qualifiers (in the array name if it refers to an array element), the variable in the specified namespace is read or written. If no procedure is active, then varName refers to a namespace variable (global variable if the current namespace is the global namespace). If a procedure is active, then varName refers to a parameter or local variable of the procedure unless the global command was invoked to declare varName to be global, or unless a variable command was invoked to declare varName to be a namespace variable. SEE ALSO
expr(n), proc(n), trace(n), unset(n) KEYWORDS
read, write, variable Tcl set(n)