Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Add non-integers using ksh
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Add non-integers using ksh Post 302115776 by anbu23 on Friday 27th of April 2007 06:45:29 AM
Old 04-27-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2dumb
Thank for the replies! Both examples look good I just have not tried them yet. I will let you know once I do. Would there be something similar used to multiply, divide, and subtract? If so could you give an example?
Use * , / or - instead of + in the above code

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how do you represent non integers in a shell script?

am trying to write a script that test that the load average which is taken from the uptime command's output to make sure it doesn't pass a certain limit. each time I execute the script, it complains about interger errors. if (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TRUEST
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

integers in the if statement

hi, im trying to compare two variables in csh to put in an if statement, eg: set a = $firstnum set b = $secondnum if ($a -ge $b) echo $a But I get an error ("if: Expression syntax"). How can I make csh see my variables as integers? thanks in advance! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deanne
5 Replies

3. Programming

Using write() with integers in C

I'm trying to write an integer to a file using the write() function, but write() requires the parameter to be written to be a const void*. How would I go about doing this? also: using itoa() produces a " warning: implicit declaration of function 'itoa' " even though i have #included stdlib.h (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: h@run
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

integers, floats and text

I am using gawk in a dos shell in windows xp and want to read a datafile and reformat it. The datafile consists of columns of integers, floating point numbers and text strings. Each column is a fixed width and each column contains the same data type, eg all integers, all text. I am looking for a... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: lookingfor help
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cancel down 2 integers

Wonderful evening to all of you! My problem has to possible starting points. Well, not really, but getting to either one is no problem at all. So i got either a string in the format of "1920x1080" or simply the integers X = 1920 and Y = 1080. When I am done, I would like to have an output... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jakunar
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparison treating strings as zero integers

I'm trying to write a bash script to perform basic arithmetic operations but I want to run a comparison on the arguments first to check that they're a number greater than zero. I want an error to pop up if the arguments args aren't >= 0 so I have: if ! ]; then echo "bad number: $1" fi ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: TierAngst
14 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep float/integers but skip some integers

Hi, I am working in bash in Mac OSX, I have following 'input.txt' file: <INFO> HypoTestTool: >>> Done running HypoTestInverter on the workspace combined <INFO> HypoTestTool: The computed upper limit is: 11 +/- 1.02651 <INFO> HypoTestTool: expected limit (median) 11 <INFO> HypoTestTool: ... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Asif Siddique
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Integers/String

Hy friends, I am newbie to bash scripting, can anyone explain how b=${a/23/BB} # Substitute "BB" for "23". this line converts "b" into string and and "d" into Integer. Thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Qazi
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Strings to integers?

Hi, I'm totally new at this, so help will be appreciated. I have a directory with a bunch of files in it. The files are named xinteger_yinteger_zinteger.vtk (eg, x3_y0_z-1.vtk). I want to read the filenames and then assign the integers to variables that I then can use in expressions. So, for... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: jhsinger
6 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Comparing Integers (I think)

Hi, I can't figure out what I'm missing. I'm running a query to see if there are any streams recording on my DVR before starting a scripted update. I'm guessing that it is viewing $VIDEO as a string instead of an int. I've tried everything I saw on google but it still comes back as $VIDEO is... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rhysers
8 Replies
UNITS(1)						      General Commands Manual							  UNITS(1)

NAME
units - conversion program SYNOPSIS
units [ -v ] [ file ] DESCRIPTION
Units converts quantities expressed in various standard scales to their equivalents in other scales. It works interactively in this fash- ion: you have: inch you want: cm * 2.54 / 0.393701 A quantity is specified as a multiplicative combination of units and floating point numbers. Operators have the following precedence: + - add and subtract * / x -:- multiply and divide catenation multiply 2 3 ^ exponentiation | divide ( ... ) grouping Most familiar units, abbreviations, and metric prefixes are recognized, together with a generous leavening of exotica and a few constants of nature including: pi,n ratio of circumference to diameter c speed of light e charge on an electron g acceleration of gravity force same as g mole Avogadro's number water pressure head per unit height of water au astronomical unit The is a unit of mass. Compound names are run together, e.g. British units that differ from their US counterparts are prefixed thus: Cur- rency is denoted etc. The complete list of units can be found in /lib/units. A file argument to units specifies a file to be used instead of /lib/units. The -v flag causes units to print its entire database. EXAMPLE
you have: 15 pounds force/in2 you want: atm * 1.02069 / .97973 FILES
/lib/units SOURCE
/sys/src/cmd/units.y BUGS
Since units does only multiplicative scale changes, it can convert Kelvin to Rankine but not Centigrade to Fahrenheit. Currency conversions are only as accurate as the last time someone updated /lib/units. UNITS(1)