Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers "vi"-ing a constantly updated file Post 302115564 by Shell_Life on Wednesday 25th of April 2007 01:44:52 PM
Old 04-25-2007
Percy,
Here is one possible solution:
1) Rename the "work_file" to a "tmp_file" and immediately create a
new "work_file" so that new records can continue to be added to it.
Code:
mv  work_file  tmp_file
touch  work_file

2) "vi" the "tmp_file" and make all changes you want.

2.a) After you are finished with your changes on the "tmp_file",
do not quit yet.

2.b) Go to the end of the "tmp_file" and in the command line type:
Code:
:r work_file

This will read the "work_file" entirely and place it after the last line
of "tmp_file".

2.c) Write and quit the "tmp_file".
As you say the file is very large, if you try to save the work area
as "work_file", it may take a long time and use a lot of memory
and disk space.

3) Immediately rename "tmp_file" back to "work_file".
Code:
mv  tmp_file  work_file

See if this could work for you.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ignore "a line" within /etc/profile only when su'ing

Is there a way to ignore a command within /etc/profile only when su'ing as any particular user. For instance.... As root, if I run "su - oracle -c program" it is running a string in my profile called "echo "^2;$(hostname)-(ABC) @ $(who am i)^G". I don't want the above string to run if I... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: lwif
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

finding the strings beween 2 characters "/" & "/" in .txt file

Hi all. I have a .txt file that I need to sort it My file is like: 1- 88 chain0 MASTER (FF-TE) FFFF 1962510 /TCK T FD2TQHVTT1 /jtagc/jtag_instreg/updateinstr_reg_1 dff1 (TI,SO) 2- ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Behrouzx77
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Permission error when "touch"ing file with different user

Hi, There are 2 users (T886072 & T864764) that need to be provided full (rwx) access to a directory. I made the changes to the directory permissions using chmod and setfacl : root@digidb2:# chmod 700 /u02/ftpfiles/MFRS16/discount_rates/ root@digidb2:# setfacl -s... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: anaigini45
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
return(1T)						       Tcl Built-In Commands							return(1T)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
return - Return from a procedure SYNOPSIS
return ?-code code? ?-errorinfo info? ?-errorcode code? ?string? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
Return immediately from the current procedure (or top-level command or source command), with string as the return value. If string is not specified then an empty string will be returned as result. EXCEPTIONAL RETURN CODES
In addition to the result of a procedure, the return code of a procedure may also be set by return through use of the -code option. In the usual case where the -code option isn't specified the procedure will return normally. However, the -code option may be used to generate an exceptional return from the procedure. Code may have any of the following values: ok (or 0) Normal return: same as if the option is omitted. The return code of the procedure is 0 (TCL_OK). error(1) Error return: the return code of the procedure is 1 (TCL_ERROR). The procedure command behaves in its calling context as if it were the command error result. See below for additional options. return(2) The return code of the procedure is 2 (TCL_RETURN). The procedure command behaves in its calling context as if it were the command return (with no arguments). break(3TCL) The return code of the procedure is 3 (TCL_BREAK). The procedure command behaves in its calling context as if it were the command break. continue(4) The return code of the procedure is 4 (TCL_CONTINUE). The procedure command behaves in its calling context as if it were the command continue. value Value must be an integer; it will be returned as the return code for the current procedure. The -code option is rarely used. It is provided so that procedures that implement new control structures can reflect exceptional condi- tions back to their callers. Two additional options, -errorinfo and -errorcode, may be used to provide additional information during error returns. These options are ignored unless code is error. The -errorinfo option specifies an initial stack trace for the errorInfo variable; if it is not specified then the stack trace left in errorInfo will include the call to the procedure and higher levels on the stack but it will not include any information about the context of the error within the procedure. Typically the info value is supplied from the value left in errorInfo after a catch command trapped an error within the procedure. If the -errorcode option is specified then code provides a value for the errorCode variable. If the option is not specified then errorCode will default to NONE. EXAMPLES
First, a simple example of using return to return from a procedure, interrupting the procedure body. proc printOneLine {} { puts "line 1" ;# This line will be printed. return puts "line 2" ;# This line will not be printed. } Next, an example of using return to set the value returned by the procedure. proc returnX {} {return X} puts [returnX] ;# prints "X" Next, a more complete example, using return -code error to report invalid arguments. proc factorial {n} { if {![string is integer $n] || ($n < 0)} { return -code error "expected non-negative integer, but got "$n"" } if {$n < 2} { return 1 } set m [expr {$n - 1}] set code [catch {factorial $m} factor] if {$code != 0} { return -code $code $factor } set product [expr {$n * $factor}] if {$product < 0} { return -code error "overflow computing factorial of $n" } return $product } Next, a procedure replacement for break. proc myBreak {} { return -code break } SEE ALSO
break(1T), catch(1T), continue(1T), error(1T), proc(1T), source(1T), tclvars(1T) KEYWORDS
break, catch, continue, error, procedure, return ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +--------------------+-----------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Availability | SUNWTcl | +--------------------+-----------------+ |Interface Stability | Uncommitted | +--------------------+-----------------+ NOTES
Source for Tcl is available on http://opensolaris.org. Tcl 7.0 return(1T)