Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Unix Shell Archives
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Unix Shell Archives Post 302115530 by cfajohnson on Wednesday 25th of April 2007 09:59:24 AM
Old 04-25-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visage
I have a few small files that I need to put into a shar file called endshar. It'd be nice to get a little help in getting this to work, I can't really find any documentation on the internet and the bits I can find aren't really helpful. Any help would be great. Smilie
Did you read the man page?

Code:
shar file1 file2 ... > endshar

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar archives

I have a tar archive which I believe may be corrupted, produced on an HP-UX 10.x box and written to a 4mm DDS-3 tape. I understand that gnu tar has a -W (--verify) option which will attempt to verify the archive after it has been created. Am I right in saying that this option cannot be used to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam_pointer
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

segmenting tar archives

assuming i need to create a tar archive which would turn out to be bigger than 2gb, how could i segment the archive into say, 1 gb parts? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: crudealien
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Jumpstart and Flash Archives

Ladies and Gentlemen: I am short on time and need to get up to speed fast on the use of flash archives. I am very familiar with Jumpstart and have used it successfully for the past 5 years. The current project I am working on requires optimization of time and speed when deploying systems which is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rambo15
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

flash archives

HI, are you supposed to run flarcreate in multi user mode? or should you do it in single user? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: BG_JrAdmin
1 Replies

5. Solaris

zfs and flash archives

i had a situation where an app i was running just didn't have enough resources on a proliant dl365 (running sol10x86). so i ended up building out a dl385g2. the dl365 had zfs root file system which was managing the whole disk (smart array taking the raid 1+0). anyway, i figured i could migrate the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: pupp
2 Replies

6. Web Development

unzip archives on the server

hi, what's the command to unzip zip files on the server ? thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aneuryzma
2 Replies

7. Solaris

Flash Archives - A little bit of help :-)

Hi all Okay, I know how to make flash archives, and I even know how to split them and extract files. But, Ive never used one to restore an OS drive and I might have to. Ive search around google, and seen different ideas / ways, but havent really come to a definate answer. So, lets... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sbk1972
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Apply script to several archives in several Folders.

Hello. I'm here again. I have a script in python and bash, and I need execute this script over all files in all folders. Example: Folder: CMDB Subfolders: router1 router2 switch1 switch2 and in this folders exists a file called... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: bobbasystem
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Merge two archives, command line

this has been a script, that I'd like to run as a command line now, anyway, it worked in a simpler way, but now the terminal complains about the delimiter to the command "cut" that should be a single character. The aim is to join two files or archives, one with about 8 thousand files merging with... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1in10
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tar archives monthly

Hi, I want to archive files by month, is there anyway of this code looks better? find /tmp/w/ -type f -newermt '2014-01-01' ! -newermt '2014-02-01' | xargs tar -czvf files01.tar find /tmp/w/ -type f -newermt '2014-02-01' ! -newermt '2014-03-01' | xargs tar -czvf files02.tar find... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: prpkrk
9 Replies
UNSHAR(1)						      General Commands Manual							 UNSHAR(1)

NAME
unshar - unpack a shar file SYNOPSIS
unshar [ options ] [ file ... ] DESCRIPTION
Unshar scans mail messages looking for the start of a shell archive. It then passes the archive through a copy of the shell to unpack it. It will accept multiple files. If no files are given, standard input is used. OPTIONS
Options have a one letter version starting with - or a long version starting with --. The exception is --help and --version, which does not have a short version. --version Print the version number of the program on standard output, then immediately exits. --help Print a help summary on standard output, then immediately exits. -d DIRECTORY --directory=DIRECTORY Change directory to DIRECTORY before unpacking any files. -c --overwrite Passed as an option to the shar file. Many shell archive scripts (including those produced by `shar' 3.40 and newer) accepts a -c argument to indicate that existing files should be overwritten. -e --exit-0 This option exists mainly for people who collect many shell archives into a single mail folder. With this option, `unshar' isolates each different shell archive from the others which have been put in the same file, unpacking each in turn, from the beginning of the file towards its end. Its proper operation relies on the fact that many shar files are terminated by a `exit 0' at the beginning of a line. Option -e is internally equivalent to -E "exit 0". -E STRING --split-at=STRING This option works like -e, but it allows you to specify the string that separates archives if `exit 0' isn't appropriate. For example, noticing that most `.signatures' have a `--' on a line right before them, one can sometimes use `--split-at=--' for splitting shell archives which lack the `exit 0' line at end. The signature will then be skipped altogether with the headers of the following message. -f --force The same as -c. SEE ALSO
shar(1) DIAGNOSTICS
Any message from the shell may be displayed. AUTHORS
The shar and unshar programs is the collective work of many authors. Many people contributed by reporting problems, suggesting various improvements or submitting actual code. A list of these people is in the THANKS file in the sharutils distribution. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-gnu-utils@gnu.org>. Please put sharutils in the subject line. It helps to spot the message. September 10, 1995 UNSHAR(1)