Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: File Handler in TCL
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting File Handler in TCL Post 302115318 by sumitgarg on Tuesday 24th of April 2007 01:40:44 AM
Old 04-24-2007
two ways to do this....

one is:

set fhndl [open "filename" r]
gets $fhndl line
while {$line != ""} {
puts $line
gets $fhndl line
}
close $fhndl

other is:

set fhndl [open "filename" r]
set all [read $fhndl]
set lines [split $all "\n"]
foreach line $lines {
# do line processing here
}
close $fhndl

REST ALL YOU CAN BUILD AROUND THIS.....

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Reading line from file - TCL

I Have output of ps -ef in file. while reading from file, it reads one word but i want to read the full line. Is there any way to set IFS in TCL as we set in Shell. Thanks Ajay Kumar (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aju_kup
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing a file handler and an array from Perl to Shell Script

Hi there, I am trying to call a shell script from a Perl script. here is the code: @args = ("sh", "someshellprg.sh", "a file handler", "an array"); system(@args) == 0 or die "system @args failed: $?"; in the shell program, I examine if the arguments exits using: if then echo... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinkgladiator
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

TCL Reading file from Server

I'm nearly finished developing my app, im programming it in tcl/tk. I just need to get 1 last thing done. When my app starts, i ask the user for username and password. These are stored on a file on a unix server. My problem is how do i read a file from a unix server, i've tried everything but... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Phi01
3 Replies

4. Programming

Parsing a text file in Tcl

Hi all, I need to parse through a text file searching for a specific string, then after I find this string read in remaining data off the line to a variable. I've tried various things and can't seem to get any to work. Any help would be much appreciated. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: caboose57
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

File Format in TCL

Hi, Can anyone please guide me in writing a TCL script. I want to have a procedure to recreate an existing file and backup its copy and rename it by time of the updates are made. Eg: I have file xyz.tcl (which on recreation is saved as xyz_11jan_15_30_11.tcl) So when I do % ls... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mail2leo
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

File Handler of an Output

Hi Guys, I hope anyone could help me on my problem: (perl or shell) I have this command: ns cluster "ns snmp show status" all Then the output is: Command was launched from partition 0. ------------------------------------------------ Executing command in server server6 Event Text... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rymnd_12345
3 Replies

7. Programming

TCL reading file

This is the code i have to read and display each line every time. please let me know the bug in this.. am not getting the output set fp set file_data close $fp set data foreach line $data { puts $data } content of abc.txt is ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Syed Imran
1 Replies

8. Programming

File handling in TCL

Hi, I have n number of files in a directory with extension .PGM i need to store the full path name in a variable and only the file name with extension in another variable. Each time i'll be using the next file name for manipulation. Please help me out to do this using TCL thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Syed Imran
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to call tcl function from other file !!

Hi, Can a function written in tcl in some other file be called in unix scripts ? Like this ? This is my code now--- shell.sh: #!/bin/bash tclsh snmpv2-conf-sam.tcl $SERVER $NODESYSIP $SPASSWD but i need this in a different way like , without having a .tcl file i want the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: giri_luck
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

TCL script to insert some text on a file

Hi All , I am looking to create one TCL script to insert one text based on some regular expression match on one file as stated below Input File module (mem1 ,mem2 , bist1 , ten2 , sen1 , land2 , taane2 , ran1 , ran2 , tri2 , tri8 , fly1 , fly2 , san2 ); output ran1 , ran2 , tri2 ,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kshitij
1 Replies
gets(n) 						       Tcl Built-In Commands							   gets(n)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
gets - Read a line from a channel SYNOPSIS
gets channelId ?varName? _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
This command reads the next line from channelId, returns everything in the line up to (but not including) the end-of-line character(s), and discards the end-of-line character(s). ChannelId must be an identifier for an open channel such as the Tcl standard input channel (stdin), the return value from an invocation of open or socket, or the result of a channel creation command provided by a Tcl extension. The channel must have been opened for input. If varName is omitted the line is returned as the result of the command. If varName is specified then the line is placed in the variable by that name and the return value is a count of the number of characters returned. If end of file occurs while scanning for an end of line, the command returns whatever input is available up to the end of file. If chan- nelId is in nonblocking mode and there is not a full line of input available, the command returns an empty string and does not consume any input. If varName is specified and an empty string is returned in varName because of end-of-file or because of insufficient data in non- blocking mode, then the return count is -1. Note that if varName is not specified then the end-of-file and no-full-line-available cases can produce the same results as if there were an input line consisting only of the end-of-line character(s). The eof and fblocked commands can be used to distinguish these three cases. EXAMPLE
This example reads a file one line at a time and prints it out with the current line number attached to the start of each line. set chan [open "some.file.txt"] set lineNumber 0 while {[gets $chan line] >= 0} { puts "[incr lineNumber]: $line" } close $chan SEE ALSO
file(n), eof(n), fblocked(n), Tcl_StandardChannels(3) KEYWORDS
blocking, channel, end of file, end of line, line, nonblocking, read Tcl 7.5 gets(n)