Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: diff
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers diff Post 302115272 by DeepakS on Monday 23rd of April 2007 04:18:54 PM
Old 04-23-2007
Code:
/usr/bin/diff $F_PATH/$F_NAME1 $F_PATH/$F_NAME2 >> /dev/null 2>&1

if [ $? -eq 0 ] 
then    # NO CHANGE
	rm $F_PATH/$F_NAME1
else	# CHANGE
	rm $F_PATH/$F_NAME2
	uuencode $F_PATH/$F_NAME1 $F_NAME1| mailx -s "$F_NAME1 CHANGED" $NC_EMAIL
fi

That should do basically what you need it to, unless I misunderstood the requirements.

You'll need to add the file transfer bits above that block yourself.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

diff and ed?

I am trying to use the diff command to find the differences between two txt files. From here, I wish to use the ed command to create the first file from the second file. I am fairly new to unix, and I haven't got a clue how to do this. Can anyone help me please? Cheers (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Brototype
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

diff 2 files; output diff's to 3rd file

Hello, I want to compare two files. All records in file 2 that are not in file 1 should be output to file 3. For example: file 1 123 1234 123456 file 2 123 2345 23456 file 3 should have 2345 23456 I have looked at diff, bdiff, cmp, comm, diff3 without any luck! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: blt123
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Diff b/w $@ and $#

Hello, Pls explain the difference between $# and $@, and how its used in shell scripting . Thanks in advance (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: PradeepRed
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simulate SVN diff using plain diff

Hi, svn diff does not work very well with 2 local folders, so I am trying to do this diff using diff locally. since there's a bunch of meta files in an svn directory, I want to do a diff that excludes everything EXCEPT *.java files. there seems to be only an --exclude option, so I'm not sure... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ackbarr
3 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using diff

is there any way to make the diff function compare 1 folder to another instead of just file to file? also, can binary files be compared? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: puzzler
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

diff

OS : SuSE Linux 10 (zOS) I create two files test1 and test2 /home/me # more test1 1 2 3 4 5 /home/me # more test2 1 2 3 I entered the following command on cronjob and its work diff /home/me/test1 /home/me/test2 > /home/me/test3 its created test3. But the output of test3 is as... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sdhn1900
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Diff between more and less

Hi, Can anyone tell me the diff between the two filters "more" and "less"? Many thanks. Regards, Venkat. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: venkatesht
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

.procmailrc and uudeview (put attachments from diff senders to diff folders)

Moderator, please, delete this topic (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: optik77
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

serach diff filename in diff location using shell scripting

Hi, I am new to shell scripting. please help me to find out the solution. I need a script where we need to read the text file(consists of all file names) and get the file names one by one and append the date suffix for each file name as 'yyyymmdd' . Then search each file if exists... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lucky123
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Diff 3 files, but diff only their 2nd column

Guys i have 3 files, but i want to compare and diff only the 2nd column path=`/home/whois/doms` for i in `cat domain.tx` do whois $i| sed -n '/Registry Registrant ID:/,/Registrant Email:/p' > $path/$i.registrant whois $i| sed -n '/Registry Admin ID:/,/Admin Email:/p' > $path/$i.admin... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: kenshinhimura
10 Replies
uuencode(1)						      General Commands Manual						       uuencode(1)

NAME
uuencode, uudecode - Encodes or decodes a binary file SYNOPSIS
uuencode [file] remotefile uudecode [file...] STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: uudecode: XCU5.0 uuencode: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. DESCRIPTION
The uuencode and uudecode commands are used to send a binary file via uucp or other mail. This combination can be used over indirect mail links even when uusend is not available. The uuencode command takes the named file (default standard input) and produces an encoded version on the standard output. The encoding uses only printing ASCII characters, and includes the mode of the file and the name for re-creation on the remote system, specified by remotefile. The uudecode command reads an encoded file, strips off any leading and trailing lines added by mailers, and recreates the original file with the specified mode and name. Filter the encode through the uudecode program. Filtering the file causes the original file to be auto- matically recreated. This is possible on the uucp network by using sendmail or by making rmail be a link to mailx. In each case, an alias must be created in a master file to get the automatic invocation of uudecode. If neither of the preceding facilities is available on a user's system, uudecode can be applied to the file manually by editing the file with any text editor, removing the trailing and leading lines, and changing the mode or remote system name. The encoded file is an ordinary text file. EXAMPLES
In the following example, the ex1 file is encoded; the output is also redirected to the ex1.out file: prompt> uuencode ex1 ex1.en > ex1.out If the source ex1 file is as follows: This example shows how to encode a file using uuencode and how to decode a file using uudecode. The encoded ex1.out file would be as follows: begin 644 ex1.en M5&AI<R!E>&%M<&QE('-H;W=S"G1H92!H;W<@=&@96YC;V1E"F$@9FEL92!U M<VEN9PIU=65N8V]D90IA;F0@:&]W('1O"F1E8V]D92!A(&9I;&4*=7-I;F<@ *=75D96-O9&4N"F]D ` end In the following example, the ex1.out file is decoded: prompt> uudecode ex1.out In this example, the uudecode command decodes the file and puts the output in ex1.en. To package up a source tree using tar, com- press it, uuencode it, and mail it to a user on another system, enter: tar cf - src_tree | compress | uuencode src_tree.tar.Z | mail sys1!sys2!user1 (Enter the command entirely on one line, not on two lines as shown above.) When uudecode is run on the target system, the src_tree.tar.Z file is created; it may then be uncompressed and dearchived with tar. SEE ALSO
Commands: ct(1), cu(1), mailx(1), Mail(1), rmail(1), sendmail(8), tip(1), uucico(8), uucleanup(8), uucp(1), uulog(1), uuname(1), uupick(1), uusched(8), uusend(1), uustat(1), uuto(1), uux(1) Standards: standards(5) uuencode(1)