Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Determining type of file
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Determining type of file Post 302114997 by ghostdog74 on Friday 20th of April 2007 03:11:02 AM
Old 04-20-2007
i think you need the "file" command
Code:
# file myfile

check the man page of file.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Determining file length

How can I determine what UNIX thinks the record size of any given file is?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jbrubaker
1 Replies

2. Programming

array type has incomplete element type

Dear colleagues, One of my friend have a problem with c code. While compiling a c program it displays a message like "array type has incomplete element type". Any body can provide a solution for it. Jaganadh.G (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jaganadh
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem determining file

I got the following code, it partially works. Can someone tell me why it partially doenst work? #!/bin/sh file=$1 if then echo "File is a directory" else echo "File is not a directory!" fi heres the output: philip@philip-laptop:~/Desktop$ sh exFive.sh test.java File is... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: philmetz
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Determining position in a tab delimited file

hi, I want to determine the position of specific values over a cutoff. So I have a string of values that are mainly negative in number and I want to print the rare few that are positive. Specifically I want to know the position of the value along the string. The position is based from right to... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: phil_heath
11 Replies

5. Programming

Determining file access perms for current process

Stupid question, but is there an ANSI C stdlib function that will do this for me? I want to pass the function a path and determine if the current process can read/write/execute on the path. I suppose I can whip something up using fstat and then determining the current process's user/group IDs and... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: DreamWarrior
6 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Determining file size for a list of files with paths

Hello, I have a flat file with a list of files with the path to the file and I am attempting to calculate the filesize for each one; however xargs isn't playing nicely and I am sure there is probably a better way of doing this. What I envisioned is this: cat filename|xargs -i ls -l {} |awk... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: joe8mofo
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Efficient method of determining if a string is in a file.

Hi, I was hoping someone could suggest an alternative to code I currently have as mine takes up far too much processor time and it to slow. The situation: I have a programme that runs on some files just before they are zipped up and archived, the program appends a one line summary of the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RECrerar
4 Replies

8. Linux

Determining Values for NIce and Priority items in limits.conf file

I've been looking online trying to find the correct value nice and priority can take in the limits.conf file. ON the man page it says; Does this mean priority can be any negative number and any positive? Then Does this mean any number between -20 and 19 also what does the definition of nice... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: matthewfs
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to read file and check file type

Hi, I have a file with few values in it. I need script help to read file line by line and check: 1/if it's a file (with extension eg .java .css .jar etc ) or 2/if it's a file without extension and treat it as a directory and then check if the directory exists in working copy else create one... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: iaav
6 Replies
gitaction(1)						      General Commands Manual						      gitaction(1)

NAME
gitaction - GNU Interactive Tools - per file type action script SYNTAX
gitaction directory file .gitaction directory file DESCRIPTION
gitaction is a script that executes a different action for each file type specified. It is called by the gitfm program when pressing F2 or ^Xa (see the gnuitrc.TERM configuration files in the gnuit manual). The first parameter is the current directory name and the second one is the file name to be matched against the default patterns. The matching is done using the shell 'case' statement. If you press F2 or ^Xa on a *.html file, gitfm will invoke a browser to view it, if you press F2 or ^Xa on a *.tar.gz file, gitfm will list the tar archive contents, if you press the same keys on a *.gz file, gitfm will display its uncompressed contents on the screen, etc ... If you press F2 or ^Xa on a *.gif file or *.jpg file and you have the zgv utility installed, you will be able to see it. If you want to change the gif/jpeg viewer, all you need to do is to change its name in the gitaction script. There are many more file types and viewers that gitaction knows about. In addition, if you are running under GNOME, gnome-open is used, and on MacOS, open(1) is used. see(1) and metamail(1) are also used as fallbacks. If all else fails, the file is displayed using $GNUIT_PAGER. Feel free to change this. If you want to find out what the default action for each file type is (or if you want to modify it), just read/modify the gitaction script. The script can be easily enhanced. Just read it. The .gitaction script is a local version of the gitaction script. When started, gitaction tries to search a script called .gitaction in the current directory and, if it finds it, it starts it. If .gitaction's exit code is 0 ( .gitaction couldn't find a matching pattern), gitac- tion starts its own case statement trying to match the current file name (the second parameter) against its default patterns. The .gitaction script *must* be executable. An example of .gitaction can be found in the directory gitfm is installed into. (usually /usr/local/bin or /usr/bin) Debian users can find it in /usr/share/doc/gnuit/examples/. You should copy the example to the current direc- tory or your home directory and then modify it. BUGS
Please send bug reports to: gnuit-dev@gnu.org SEE ALSO
gitfm(1) gitps(1) gitview(1) gitmount(1) gitkeys(1) gitrgrep(1) gitunpack(1) AUTHORS
Tudor Hulubei <tudor@cs.unh.edu> Andrei Pitis <pink@pub.ro> Ian Beckwith <ianb@erislabs.net> (current maintainer). gitaction(1)