Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting How do one evaulate a variable's value if it is number or not Post 302114980 by suman_jakkula on Friday 20th of April 2007 01:03:41 AM
Old 04-20-2007
How do one evaulate a variable's value if it is number or not

How do one evaulate a variable's value if it is number or not. say
var1=1234;
I want to check if $var1 contains a number or not. Is there any built-in command or combination of commands available?

Thanks,
Suman

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Check if variable is a number

If I have a variable $X, how do I check it is a number? Many thanks. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: handak9
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

check whether variable number or string

I am passing an argument to a file and i wanna check whether the argument is a number or string ? how can i do this? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rolex.mp
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Export variable as number

Hi Guys, I am using the korn shell. I have an environments files where I have defined a variable export START_TIME=060000 export END_TIME=220000 I source this environments file into one of my scripts. The problem is that when I try to use this variable, I cannot get to use this variable as a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zeus101
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

declare number variable in csh

Hi frind, i="1" while do echo "i is $i" data_file=$HYP_ROOT/import/efcextr$i.txt echo "$data_file" i=`expr $i + 1` done This is woring finly in ksh but not in ksh. in ksh it showing error i=1: Command not found i: Undefined variable Kindly help me ...why it is showing the error... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deep_kol
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

appending variable number of files

In a particular path of a server I have number of files.The files are generated every date with a date_mth stap on this.There are different files for different clients. For example in /data1 path i have X_0416_Score Y_0416_Score Z_0417_Score X_0417_Score A_0417_Score If i will run the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dr46014
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to add Loop number to variable name?

Hi there, I need to add a sequence of numbers to existing variables within the script to be able to call the variable automatically. Somehow it's just printing the loop number. Here's what I've got so far. :eek: #!/bin/sh FOLDER1=foo FOLDER2=bar FOLDER3=beer for ((a=1; a <= 3 ; a++))... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siul0_0
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Counting number of commas(,) in a variable

Hi all, I am having problems counting commas (,) from a variable in shell scripting.. the variable contains similiar to: ID@NAME@DESCRIPTION,ID@NAME@DESCRIPTION, ..... It can go on and on.. So i need to count the number of sets i.e.( ID@NAME@DESCRIPTION is one set) and process the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: faelric
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Number lines of file and assign variable to each number

I have a file with a list of config files numbered on the lefthand side 1-300. I need to have bash read each lines number and assign it to a variable so it can be chosen by the user called by the script later. Ex. 1 some data 2 something else 3 more stuff which number do you... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: glev2005
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

trying to accumulate a number in the same variable

Hello, I trying to accumulate the same number in a variable: #!/usr/bin/sh infile="$1/$2" if ] then #echo "file is not readable: $infile" exit 1 fi awk ' { num_cols=NF; # the number of columns in the current line temp_cols=temp_cols+num_cols #add up... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: script_op2a
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get letter from number and assign to a variable

Hi to all in forum, I'm trying to convert the letter number between 1 (A) and 26 (Z), that part is working, my issue is how to assign the printf output to a variable:LetterNumber=10 printf "\x$(printf %x $((${LetterNumber}+64)))" $ J #The problem, how to assign printf output (J in this... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ophiuchus
8 Replies
STAPDYN(8)						      System Manager's Manual							STAPDYN(8)

NAME
stapdyn - systemtap dyninst runtime SYNOPSIS
stapdyn [ OPTIONS ] MODULE [ MODULE-OPTIONS ] DESCRIPTION
The stapdyn program is the dyninst back-end of the Systemtap tool. It expects a shared library produced by the front-end stap tool, when run with --dyninst. Splitting the systemtap tool into a front-end and a back-end allows a user to compile a systemtap script on a development machine that has the debugging information (need to compile the script) and then transfer the resulting shared objevct to a production machine that doesn't have any development tools or debugging information installed. Please refer to stappaths(7) for the version number, or run rpm -q systemtap (fedora/red hat) apt-get -v systemtap (ubuntu) OPTIONS
The stapdyn program supports the following options. Any other option prints a list of supported options. -v Verbose mode. -V Print version number and exit. -w Suppress warnings from the script. -c CMD Command CMD will be run and the stapdyn program will exit when CMD does. The '_stp_target' variable will contain the pid for CMD. -x PID The '_stp_target' variable will be set to PID. -o FILE Send output to FILE. If the module uses bulk mode, the output will be in percpu files FILE_x(FILE_cpux in background and bulk mode) where 'x' is the cpu number. This supports strftime(3) formats for FILE. -C WHEN Control coloring of error messages. WHEN must be either "never", "always", or "auto" (i.e. enable only if at a terminal). If the op- tion is missing, then "auto" is assumed. Colors can be modified using the SYSTEMTAP_COLORS environment variable. See the stap(1) manual page for more information on syntax and behaviour. var1=val Sets the value of global variable var1 to val. Global variables contained within a script are treated as options and can be set from the stapdyn command line. ARGUMENTS
MODULE is either a module path or a module name. If it is a module name, the module will be looked for in the following directory (where 'VERSION' is the output of "uname -r"): /lib/modules/VERSION/systemtap $ stap --dyninst -p4 -m mod1 -e 'global var1="foo"; probe begin{printf("%s ", var1); exit()}' Running this with an additional module argument: $ stapdyn mod1.so var1="HelloWorld" HelloWorld Spaces and exclamation marks currently cannot be passed into global variables this way. EXAMPLES
See the stapex(3stap) manual page for a collection of sample scripts. Here is a very basic example of how to use stapdyn. First, use stap to compile a script. The stap program will report the pathname to the resulting module. $ stap --dyninst -p4 -e 'probe begin { printf("Hello World! "); exit() }' /home/user/.systemtap/cache/85/stap_8553d83f78c_265.so Run stapdyn with the pathname to the module as an argument. $ stapdyn /home/user/.systemtap/cache/85/stap_8553d83f78c_265.so Hello World! SAFETY AND SECURITY
Systemtap, in DynInst mode, is a developer tool, and runs completely unprivileged. The Linux kernel will only permit one's own processes to be accessed, which is enforced by the ptrace(2) system call. See the stap(1) manual page for additional information on safety and secu- rity. SEE ALSO
stap(1), stapprobes(3stap), stap-server(8), staprun(8), stapex(3stap) BUGS
Use the Bugzilla link of the project web page or our mailing list. http://sourceware.org/systemtap/, <systemtap@sourceware.org>. STAPDYN(8)