Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Find, make and move file based on username Post 302114974 by ghostdog74 on Thursday 19th of April 2007 09:49:30 PM
Old 04-19-2007
not sure,but you could try
Code:
print traceback > "backup.sh" ( single > )

FYI, i am using GNU awk. also make sure write access is granted to TEST directory.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

To find the username in /etc/passwd file

Hi, I need to a shell script to list out only the username in the /etc/passwd file. Regards Siva (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: gsiva
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Move Based on 1st Character of File Name

I need some help with a unix script to mv image files to subdirectories based on the 1st character of the filename. See example below... /images/main 1191.jpg 9999.jpg A101.jpg A102.jpg B201.jpg c333.jpg ... Z999.jpg I would like to move to the following: ... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: srdconsulting
11 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to move a file based on size

Hi All, I have some files in a directory. If the file size is 0 i want to move the file to new directory using unix script. Can anyone help me in this regard Thanks Vinny (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinny81
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move file based on filename

Hi All I need a script to manipulate files based on a filename: example filename: 66600_042706.pdf the script will create a directory 66000 only if this directory is not existing. If that directory is existing it will just move the file to 66000/666000_042706.pdf in addition, i want to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: aemestech
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

move contents from one file to another based on line number or content

I want a script that will move everything beyond a certain line number or beyond a certain content word into another file. For example, if file A has this: first line second line third line forth line fifth line sixth line I want to run a script that will move everything beyond the third... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: robp2175
4 Replies

6. Fedora

Move file based time stamp

Hi all, I've already tired to try to solved this problem. Also search in Internet didn't find anything solution I have a directory like this : # pwd /opt/projects/juventini # ls -al | more total 3627460 drwxr-xr-x 2 app apps 12472320 Sep 24 14:59 . drwxr-xr-x 11 app apps 4096 Jun... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunardo
8 Replies

7. UNIX and Linux Applications

grep file to find unique instances of username

hello - A SystemOut.log file has recurring entries that follow this format: Principal: auth9.nick.al.gov:389/USERNAME Over the course of a day thousands of lines similar to this are produced, with each username represented hundreds of times. I need to create a new file that shows... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: 1075FJ40
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Move input file based on condition

Hello, I have File1 in a directory A, a File2 in a directory B. If the File2 is not empty Then I have to move File1 from directory A to a directory archive Else no action. Is it possible to do this from one command line? Thank you in advance for your answers. Madi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AngelMady
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Move based on date

how to move file based on date in linux (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: syedzoniac
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash to move specific files to directory based on match to file

I am trying to mv each of the .vcf files in the variants folder to the folder in /home/cmccabe/f2 that the .vcf id is found in file. $2 in file will always have the id of a .vcf in the variants folder. The line in blue staring with R_2019 in file up to the -v5.6 will always be an exact match to a... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmccabe
4 Replies
LN(1)								   User Commands							     LN(1)

NAME
ln - make links between files SYNOPSIS
ln [OPTION]... [-T] TARGET LINK_NAME (1st form) ln [OPTION]... TARGET (2nd form) ln [OPTION]... TARGET... DIRECTORY (3rd form) ln [OPTION]... -t DIRECTORY TARGET... (4th form) DESCRIPTION
In the 1st form, create a link to TARGET with the name LINK_NAME. In the 2nd form, create a link to TARGET in the current directory. In the 3rd and 4th forms, create links to each TARGET in DIRECTORY. Create hard links by default, symbolic links with --symbolic. When cre- ating hard links, each TARGET must exist. Symbolic links can hold arbitrary text; if later resolved, a relative link is interpreted in relation to its parent directory. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. --backup[=CONTROL] make a backup of each existing destination file -b like --backup but does not accept an argument -d, -F, --directory allow the superuser to attempt to hard link directories (note: will probably fail due to system restrictions, even for the supe- ruser) -f, --force remove existing destination files -i, --interactive prompt whether to remove destinations -L, --logical make hard links to symbolic link references -n, --no-dereference treat destination that is a symlink to a directory as if it were a normal file -P, --physical make hard links directly to symbolic links -s, --symbolic make symbolic links instead of hard links -S, --suffix=SUFFIX override the usual backup suffix -t, --target-directory=DIRECTORY specify the DIRECTORY in which to create the links -T, --no-target-directory treat LINK_NAME as a normal file -v, --verbose print name of each linked file --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit The backup suffix is `~', unless set with --suffix or SIMPLE_BACKUP_SUFFIX. The version control method may be selected via the --backup option or through the VERSION_CONTROL environment variable. Here are the values: Using -s ignores -L and -P. Otherwise, the last option specified controls behavior when the source is a symbolic link, defaulting to -P. none, off never make backups (even if --backup is given) numbered, t make numbered backups existing, nil numbered if numbered backups exist, simple otherwise simple, never always make simple backups AUTHOR
Written by Mike Parker and David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
Report ln bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> Report ln translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2011 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
link(2), symlink(2) The full documentation for ln is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and ln programs are properly installed at your site, the com- mand info coreutils 'ln invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 8.12.197-032bb September 2011 LN(1)