Sponsored Content
Operating Systems AIX urgent problems with ESS SAN, SDD upgrade on AIX 5.3 server Post 302114915 by djdavies on Thursday 19th of April 2007 10:34:27 AM
Old 04-19-2007
fixed it !!!! miracle

right after alot of messing around i also upgraded the microcode for the fc adapters.

still didnt fix problem.

had another look at the IBM website specifically http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview...=utf-8&lang=en

this has the devices.sdd.53.rte driver but version 1.6.0.0 not 1.6.2.0.

so unmount fs on san
deactivated vg on san
removed vpaths and then hdisks relevant to san
unistalled ver 1.6.2.0 and installed ver 1.6.0.0
cfgmgr -vl fcsX on both my adapters
then cfallvpath

redid the lsvpcfg and got:
vpath0 (Avail pv crm_train_vg) 00623296 = hdisk2 (Avail ) hdisk16 (Avail )
vpath1 (Avail pv crm_train_vg) 00723296 = hdisk3 (Avail ) hdisk17 (Avail )
vpath2 (Avail pv crm_train_vg) 00823296 = hdisk4 (Avail ) hdisk18 (Avail )
vpath3 (Avail pv crm_train_vg) 10723296 = hdisk5 (Avail ) hdisk19 (Avail )
vpath4 (Avail pv crm_train_vg) 10823296 = hdisk6 (Avail ) hdisk20 (Avail )
vpath5 (Avail pv ) 10D23296 = hdisk7 (Avail ) hdisk21 (Avail )
vpath6 (Avail pv crm_train_vg) 20723296 = hdisk8 (Avail ) hdisk22 (Avail )
vpath7 (Avail pv crm_train_vg) 20823296 = hdisk9 (Avail ) hdisk23 (Avail )
vpath8 (Avail pv crm_train_vg) 20923296 = hdisk10 (Avail ) hdisk24 (Avail )
vpath9 (Avail pv ) 20D23296 = hdisk11 (Avail ) hdisk25 (Avail )
vpath10 (Avail pv crm_train_vg) 30723296 = hdisk12 (Avail ) hdisk26 (Avail )
vpath11 (Avail pv crm_train_vg) 30823296 = hdisk13 (Avail ) hdisk27 (Avail )
vpath12 (Avail pv crm_train_vg) 30923296 = hdisk14 (Avail ) hdisk28 (Avail )
vpath13 (Avail pv ) 30D23296 = hdisk15 (Avail ) hdisk29 (Avail )

Now all the vpaths are Avail - LUN id's were always the same so was always looking at the correct data which i'd proved earlier by the fact that the VG was variedon and fs was working.

But now it all looks correct.

What i need to figure out is the difference between the two versions.

1.6.0.0 is supposed to be used if using the VIOS ( Warning: SDD version 1.6.1.0 or later is not supported by the VIOS at this time. )
So i can only assume that i am indeed using the Virtual I/O server although the info for the later drivers i.e 1.6.2.0 says that i should be able to use it with ESS.

Either way it is now working perfect.

thanks for the help anyway though people. Hopefully this will be useful to someone in the future.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

diagnostics for disk problems on an AIX server

There is a TSM server in which iam getting this error Unable to read or write logical volume manager record. PV may be permanently corrupted. Run diagnostics how do i run the diagnostics?? any suggestions will really help. Thanks! karthik (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karthikosu
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

AIX FlashCopy on ESS

Hi We are running AIX5.3 on pseries 570. We have IBM ESS SAN stroage attached. We need to kick off flashcopy backups on the SAN. I have installed the CLI software but am missing a fileset. ibm2105esscli.rte or ibm2105cli.rte This fileset contains the commands that can be issued from AIX to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: terrym
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help with SDD, SAN ESS and AIX 5.3 Host

Hi all, Sorry if this is in the wrong place but needed to make sure lots of people saw this so that hopefully someone will be able to help. Basically i've upgraded a test server from 4.3 to 5.3 TL04. The server has hdisk0 and 1 as rootvg locally but then has another vg setup on our ESS... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: djdavies
1 Replies

4. AIX

AIX SAN configuration problems/oddity

Hi, I have a strange problem. we're trying to connect an IBM pseries, to a Brocade switch, for SAN acess, using a badged emulex card, (IBM FC6239) WE can configure the device to see the fabric. The only problem we have is that the Brocade sees the HBA as storage, and not as a HBA. We've zoned... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: praxis22
1 Replies

5. AIX

Problems AIX and SAN.

Sorry for my english. We have a IBM BLADES JS21. AIX 5.3 update to 6. Our JS21 has 2 FC (fcs0 and fcs1). We have one DS4072, one Disk system with 2 controllers and 2 FC by controllers. This means, all AIX FC see all Disk systems controllers by 2 FC switchs. (one fc two roads) FC AIX... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: fjgonzalez
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Facing problems when FTPING file from server to local (Very Urgent)

Hi, when i am trying to FTP one file (test.txt) from Unix server to my local machine then i am getting the following error, as shown below ftp> binary 200 Type set to I. ftp> put C:\FTP\test.txt C:FTPtest.txt: No such file or directory ftp> The red color text is the error. Can... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sunitachoudhury
3 Replies

7. AIX

AIX with SDD to VIOed SDDPCM?

Hi folks. We want to move a "physical" AIX box to a VIOed LPAR. The physical box is running SDD with disks from a DS8300. I want to be able to reattach those LUNs from the DS8300 to my VIO server which is running SDDPCM and then assigned them back to my AIX LPAR. Any thoughts about this? I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Stephan
1 Replies

8. AIX

AIX SDD

I have sdd driver installed correctly but when I run the command: datapath query adapter No device file found what does it mean.. it is not using vpath or whats wrong? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vit0_Corleone
2 Replies

9. AIX

mq upgrade from version 6 to 7 in aix server

Hi What are the steps to be followed when upgrading MQ version from 6 to 7 in aix server? cbsdbprd01 # oslevel -s 5300-10-01-0921 cbsdbprd01 # lslpp -l | grep -i mq mqm.base.runtime 6.0.2.1 COMMITTED WebSphere MQ Runtime for mqm.base.samples 6.0.2.1 ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: samsungsamsung
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Native AIX TL Upgrade on a VIO Server

What happens if we perform a Native AIX TL Upgrade on a VIO server? I mean instead of updateios I logged into oem_setup_env and ran a update_all to a new TL. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wibhore
2 Replies
ISCSICTL(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					       ISCSICTL(8)

NAME
iscsictl -- program to manage iSCSI instances SYNOPSIS
iscsictl [-d sockdir] command [arguments ...] DESCRIPTION
The iscsictl utility manages iSCSI instances on the local computer. It talks to the iscsid(8) program to perform this management. iSCSI is a method for transferring SCSI commands across a TCP connection. The client which issues the SCSI command is called the initiator, and the device which receives the command and takes action is called the target; this mirrors SCSI devices, although instead of being physi- cally attached to a host, the SCSI commands and responses take place over a network. iSCSI communication is done in sessions. The iSCSI initiator logs in to a target across the network, possibly authenticating itself; this creates an iSCSI session between initiator and target. The initiator can then issue commands to and read responses from the target. Firstly, the iSCSI initiator on the local machine must be made aware of the network location of the target. The add_send_target is used in iscsictl to do this. The targets can be listed using the list_targets command. To login from the initiator to the target, the login command is used; this creates a session between the initiator and target. The sessions can be listed by using the list_sessions command. Global Options -d sockdir Specify the directory where the socket for iscsid(8) lives. Target Address Specification The target address specification for the add_target and add_send_target commands may include a target name, target address (IP or FQDN), TCP port, and group tag. Either the target address or target name is required. (For add_send_target, a target address is required). The address, port, and group tag may optionally be repeated. -a target-address Specify the target address by IP or FQDN. -n target-name Specify the target by name. -p port-num The TCP port to connect to the target on. (Default port is 3260) -g group-tag The group tag, a 16-bit integer. Portal Address Specification The portal address specification for the add_portal command may include an address (IP or FQDN), port, and group tag, plus portal options. -a target-address Specify the target address by IP or FQDN. -p port-num The TCP port to connect to the target on. (Default port is 3260) -g group-tag The group tag, a 16-bit integer. -h Use a CRC32 header digest. -d Use a CRC32 data digest. -l segment-length Specify the max received data segment length. Target Options Target options are as follows: -h Use a CRC32 header digest. -d Use a CRC32 data digest. -w time Time to wait. -r time Time to retain. -e level Error recovery level. -l segment-length Specify the max received data segment length. Authentication Options Authentication options are as follows: -t type Specify authentication type. n indicates no authentication, while c indicates CHAP authentication, and C indicates Mutual CHAP authentication. -u name User name. -s secret Initiator secret. -S secret Target secret. Commands The iscsictl command argument is taken from one of the following options: version return version information from the iscsictl utility and the iscsid(8) daemon. add_target target-address-spec [target-opts] [auth-opts] [-N symbolic-name] A target-address-spec may include name, address, port, and group tag, with address/port/tag possibly repeated. add_portal portal-address-spec [-I -target-id] [-N -symbolic-name] Add a portal to the list of portals. remove_target -I target-id remove_target -n target-name Remove a target by name or ID. slp_find_targets Not implemented. refresh_targets [-I target-id] this command causes the iSCSI initiator to refresh its view of the iSCSI targets to which it is connected. If this command completes successfully, an ``OK'' value is printed. For more context on the exact usage of this command, please see the example below. list_targets Display a list of targets the iSCSI initiator knows about. add_send_target -a target-address [target-address-spec] [target-opts] [auth-opts] [-N symbolic-name] this command allows the iSCSI initiator to connect to an iSCSI target. The subsequent -a target provides the address of the target. This can be provided as a numerical IP address, or as a textual FQDN. For more context on the exact usage of this command, please see the example below. remove_send_target -I target-id remove_send_target -n target-name Remove a send target from the list by name or target-id list_send_targets Display the list of send targets configured. add_isns_server iSNS-address-spec Add an iSNS server using an address specification that may include name, address, and port. remove_isns_server -I isns-server-id remove_isns_server -a isns-server-address find_isns_servers Not Implemented. list_isns_servers refresh_isns [-I id] login [-m] [target-opts] [auth-opts] [-P portal-id] To be able to communicate with the iSCSI target, the initiator must login. This command allows this login to take place. The subse- quent -P session argument provides the session which should be used to perform the login. On successful completion of this command, the session which has been created will be displayed, along with the connection number. For more context on the exact usage of this command, please see the example below. logout [-I session-id] add_connection [-m] [target-opts] [auth-opts] [-P portal-id] remove_connection -I session-id -C connection-id inquiry [-l lun] [-d detail] [-p pag] read_capacity [-I session-id [-l lun]] report_luns [-I session-id] test_unit_ready [-I session-id] add_initiator -a interface-address [-N symbolic-name] remove_initiator -I portal-id list_initiators list_sessions [-c] Once login to the target has taken place, a session will have been created. To list the session information, this command is used. The session number and target information for each of the targets are displayed. If the -c flag is used, connection information is displayed as well. For more context on the exact usage of this command, please see the example below. set_node_name -n initiator-name [-A -alias] [-i isid] Set the initiator name. The default initiator name is iqn.1994-04.org.netbsd:iscsi.<hostname>:<hostid> . An alias can be specified as well as an isid EXAMPLES
iscsictl is intended to be used as follows: The initiator itself can be loaded as a kernel module, and works successfully on 2.0 (the host called "burner"), running against the NetBSD target on a 5.99 host. burner# modload -v -s -p /usr/lkm/iscsi_post.sh /usr/lkm/iscsidrv.o modload: reserving 36864 bytes of memory Module loaded as ID 0 burner# iscsid iSCSI Daemon loaded burner# iscsictl add_send_target -a 172.16.135.133 Added Send Target 1 burner# iscsictl refresh_targets OK burner# iscsictl list_targets 1: iqn.1994-04.org.netbsd.iscsi-target:target0 2: 172.16.135.133:3260,1 burner# iscsictl login -P 2 Created Session 2, Connection 1 burner# iscsictl list_sessions Session 2: Target iqn.1994-04.org.netbsd.iscsi-target:target0 burner# newfs /dev/rsd0a /dev/rsd0a: 100.0MB (204800 sectors) block size 8192, fragment size 1024 using 4 cylinder groups of 25.00MB, 3200 blks, 6144 inodes. super-block backups (for fsck -b #) at: 32, 51232, 102432, 153632, burner# mount /dev/sd0a /mnt burner# df Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Avail Capacity Mounted on /dev/wd0a 4066094 186994 3675795 4% / kernfs 1 1 0 100% /kern /dev/sd0a 99247 1 94283 0% /mnt burner# dmesg | egrep '(scsibus|sd0)' scsibus0 at bha2: 16 targets, 8 luns per target scsibus0: waiting 2 seconds for devices to settle... scsibus1 at iscsi0: 1 target, 16 luns per target sd0 at scsibus1 target 0 lun 0: <NetBSD, NetBSD iSCSI, 0> disk fixed sd0: fabricating a geometry sd0: 100 MB, 100 cyl, 64 head, 32 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 204800 sectors sd0: fabricating a geometry sd0: fabricating a geometry sd0: fabricating a geometry burner# and, on the target end of the iSCSI session: Reading configuration from `/etc/iscsi/targets' target0:rw:0.0.0.0/0 extent0:/tmp/iscsi-target0:0:104857600 DISK: 1 logical unit (204800 blocks, 512 bytes/block), type iscsi fs DISK: LUN 0: 100 MB disk storage for "target0" TARGET: iSCSI Qualified Name (IQN) is iqn.1994-04.org.netbsd.iscsi-target > iSCSI Discovery login successful from iqn.1994-04.org.netbsd:iscsi.burner.cupertino.alistaircrooks.com:0 on 172.16.135.137 disk -1, ISID 70368764559360, TSIH 1 < iSCSI Discovery logout successful from iqn.1994-04.org.netbsd:iscsi.burner.cupertino.alistaircrooks.com:0 on 172.16.135.137 disk -1, ISID 70368764559360, TSIH 1 > iSCSI Normal login successful from iqn.1994-04.org.netbsd:iscsi.burner.cupertino.alistaircrooks.com:0 on 172.16.135.137 disk 0, ISID 70368764559360, TSIH 2 SEE ALSO
iscsid(8) HISTORY
The iscsictl utility appeared in NetBSD 6.0. AUTHORS
Alistair Crooks <agc@NetBSD.org> wrote this manual page. The iscsictl utility was contributed by Wasabi Systems, Inc. BSD
May 26, 2012 BSD