Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: mksysb backup testing
Operating Systems AIX mksysb backup testing Post 302114592 by dlundh on Tuesday 17th of April 2007 06:53:47 AM
Old 04-17-2007
The way we restore all AIX machines is by booting on CD with same ML as the OS on mksysb tape. After CD-boot just install from the mksysb tape.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

AIX + backup or mksysb (yes i did a search)

Whats up guys. I dont ask many questions but this time i need a quick one answerd. NOS: AIX 4.3.3 and 4.3.2 BOX: RS/6000 F50 i have 12 pv's (mirrored) and 2 vg's and i want them both backed up @ once on one tape drive so i can do it via cron. I have looked at mksysb and backup. my main... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Optimus_P
5 Replies

2. AIX

mksysb backup

How I can to obtain a full Backup of a AIX server with the command "mksysb"?? what is the correct form? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: granador
1 Replies

3. AIX

mksysb backup

hi guys, i just want to take my server's mksysb backup through dvd-rom.but am having the doubt that, while am taking the mksysb backup in image it shows 8GB. So can i confirm that it takes 2 dvds and after writing in 1st cd it will ask for 2nd cd?????? please help me out. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rrlog
1 Replies

4. AIX

Question about restoring from mksysb backup

Hello, Last night I applied a DB2 fix pack which is now causing problems with the application that uses db2. Prior to applying the fix pack I did a mksysb(rootvg) which includes the file system that has db2 installed on it. If I do a restore from this will it restore the db2 version back to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jyoung
1 Replies

5. AIX

How to restore from mksysb backup

system is not booting ... i want to restore from mksysb backup. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: AIXlearner
2 Replies

6. AIX

Need to take MKSYSB backup

Hi, Can any one suggest me how to take the mksysb backup in CD (VCD/DVD). I have tried like #mkcd -d /dev/cd0, but its not working. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: oprakash
3 Replies

7. AIX

mksysb backup

hi we are having one rootvg in that we created one lv named mksysb_backuplv and normally script will run accordingly to take the backup in the cron,here i just want to know if any rootfilesystem was correpted like /usr or /tmp ,then how could i restore the particular filesystme from the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: senmak
1 Replies

8. AIX

MKSYSB backup

Hi, Currently we are taking mksysb backup through smitty mksysb command and directing the backup to happen on a tape.We have inbuilt tape drives in the AIX servers. Can we take the mksysb backup through 3rd party software tool (Symantec netbackup of IBm TSM). If yes what is the procedure and... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dwiravi
4 Replies

9. AIX

Need help with mksysb backup on a DVD

i have an AIX server and planning to upgrade the operating system, before that i want to take a system backup which can be used in case of upgrade failure. i dont have NIM server t hold the mksysb backups. so i have the only option of taking the backup on DVD. i have the following optical drive... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: saikiran_1984
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Installation through mksysb image backup

Hi Experts, I am very new to AIX, I have a mksysb image in one of my aix server (V6), I would like to install this mksysb image on newly lpar. Is it possible without tape and NIM? Advice would be appreciated. Regards, Rockie (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: aix.rockie
11 Replies
st(1M)																	    st(1M)

NAME
st - shared tape administration SYNOPSIS
device_file DESCRIPTION
The command provides users with a command-line interface to check the status of a shared tape device or to reclaim a shared tape device from a host system that has failed while holding a reservation on the shared tape device. The command can also be used for the same pur- pose on shared library robotic devices. To use the command you must have root user id. Please see examples below for usage. Options recognizes the following options and arguments: Specifies the tape device file or sctl/esctl pass-through device file for the shared tape/library device. This parameter is mandatory and will report an error if device_file is omitted. Allows the user to reclaim a shared tape device or shared library robotic device in the case where a host failed while holding a reservation on the shared device. This option causes a bus device reset to be issued to the device specified by the option. Prints out the current status of the shared tape/library device specified by the option. RETURN VALUE
returns 0 upon successful completion and 1 otherwise. EXAMPLES
The following shows three examples of output from the above command. The above output indicates that the shared device is reserved by another host and is therefore unavailable at this time. The above output indicates that the shared device is not ready for use at this time. The above output indicates that the shared device is ready for use at this time. To reclaim a shared tape/library device from a failed host, the following command can be used: WARNINGS
The option must be used with care. When reclaiming devices, it must be ensured that the host from which the device is being reclaimed has in fact failed, as data may be lost as the result of reclaiming a device that is currently in use by another host. AUTHOR
was developed by Hewlett-Packard. SEE ALSO
mt(1), scsi(7), scsi_ctl(7). st(1M)