Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting need help converting string to number for calculation Post 302114134 by tpatput on Thursday 12th of April 2007 05:47:28 PM
Old 04-12-2007
thank you for your response shell_life.

I modified the test script to this and it worked under sh shell
Code:
#!/bin/sh
echo "enter a number:"
read num
echo "you entered $num"
num=`expr $num + 1`
echo the result is $num

execution:
Quote:
sh-2.05$ ./test.sh
enter a number:
you entered 12
the result is 13
sh-2.05$ echo $0
/bin/sh
I couldn't run just num=$num+1. Maybe I'm getting screwed up with the login shell and the script shell.

is there a way to do this in csh (or tcsh)?

Thanks again for your help.
Tom

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

converting character string to hex string

HI Hi I have a character string which contains some special characters and I need it to display as a hex string. For example, the sample i/p string: ×¥ïA Å gïÛý and the o/p should be : D7A5EF4100C5010067EFDBFD Any pointers or sample code pls. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: axes
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Converting Stirngs to number

I have written a script to compare the values of string (which actually are numbers) but it is not giving the expected output. Please suggest for the script. #!/usr/bin/ksh sysdate=20071009 echo $sysdate currfile=20071008 echo $currfile if ; then echo "Equal" else echo "Not... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: raman1605
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed in converting number to bit

Hi, I have the following file input:- 542 4795 61 543 4795 61 544 0 0 545 292 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahjiefreak
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in converting number in shell script

Hi All, I am writing a shell script in which I want to convert a number like : Suppose the number is "98487657" and we have to convert it to "98000000", what I want to do is to retain first 2 digits and convert all remaining digits to "0". Number could be of any length (length... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amitanshu.verma
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Average calculation based on number of rows

Dear users, I need your support, I have a file like this: 272134.548 6680572.715 272134.545 6680572.711 272134.546 6680572.713 272134.548 6680572.706 272134.545 6680572.721 272134.543 6680572.710 272134.544 6680572.715 272134.543 6680572.705 272134.540 6680572.720 272134.544... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gery
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Performing a calculation on string to be replaced

Hi, I have a file with occurances of the string "TO_DATE(<number here>,'J')" at random places. I need minus 2400000 from the number and replace the string with "convert(date, dateadd(dd, <new number here>,'16 Nov 1858')". I'm finding this difficult as the string isn't necessarily in the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: user_invalid
9 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

KSH SHELL: problem calculation number of lines inside compressed file

Hi Gurus, I am working with a korn shell script to simplify some operations of calculation number of lines inside compressed file. The called function (inside a cycle) is the following: ######################################### # F.ne: CheckCount #########################################... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: GERMANICO
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

converting string to number in shell script

Hi, I am having a problem in converting a string to number so I can preform arithmetic operations. timeTot=0 timeTmp=$(cat idsOutput | grep 'Run time' | cut -c 36-39) timeTot=$ #This is line 28 echo "total RunTime=" $timeTot this is the error msg: ./ids2.sh: line 28: 0+1.35: syntax... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: turki_00
8 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Decimal number calculation problem

I have a below snippet of code from my perl script and its causing a problem when the output of $lTAX is 0 (zero) its getting displayed as -0.00. I want output to be 0 not -0.00. Any help would be appreciated. #!/usr/bin/perl my $lTotA = 50.94; my $lVatA = 8.49; my $lAllocD; my $lAdjNr =... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Devesh5683
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Converting negative number to positive in a file

Hi ALL, I am having semi column separated file as below. I am having negative values for the records starting with 11095. How can I convert that positive number I tried this below seems not working sed 's/ \(*\)$/ -\1/;t;s/\(.*\)-/\1/ myfile myfile... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
6 Replies
Num(3o)                                                            OCaml library                                                           Num(3o)

NAME
Num - Operation on arbitrary-precision numbers. Module Module Num Documentation Module Num : sig end Operation on arbitrary-precision numbers. Numbers (type num ) are arbitrary-precision rational numbers, plus the special elements 1/0 (infinity) and 0/0 (undefined). type num = | Int of int | Big_int of Big_int.big_int | Ratio of Ratio.ratio The type of numbers. === Arithmetic operations === val (+/) : num -> num -> num Same as Num.add_num . val add_num : num -> num -> num Addition val minus_num : num -> num Unary negation. val (-/) : num -> num -> num Same as Num.sub_num . val sub_num : num -> num -> num Subtraction val ( */ ) : num -> num -> num Same as Num.mult_num . val mult_num : num -> num -> num Multiplication val square_num : num -> num Squaring val (//) : num -> num -> num Same as Num.div_num . val div_num : num -> num -> num Division val quo_num : num -> num -> num Euclidean division: quotient. val mod_num : num -> num -> num Euclidean division: remainder. val ( **/ ) : num -> num -> num Same as Num.power_num . val power_num : num -> num -> num Exponentiation val abs_num : num -> num Absolute value. val succ_num : num -> num succ n is n+1 val pred_num : num -> num pred n is n-1 val incr_num : num Pervasives.ref -> unit incr r is r:=!r+1 , where r is a reference to a number. val decr_num : num Pervasives.ref -> unit decr r is r:=!r-1 , where r is a reference to a number. val is_integer_num : num -> bool Test if a number is an integer === The four following functions approximate a number by an integer : === val integer_num : num -> num integer_num n returns the integer closest to n . In case of ties, rounds towards zero. val floor_num : num -> num floor_num n returns the largest integer smaller or equal to n . val round_num : num -> num round_num n returns the integer closest to n . In case of ties, rounds off zero. val ceiling_num : num -> num ceiling_num n returns the smallest integer bigger or equal to n . val sign_num : num -> int Return -1 , 0 or 1 according to the sign of the argument. === Comparisons between numbers === val (=/) : num -> num -> bool val (</) : num -> num -> bool val (>/) : num -> num -> bool val (<=/) : num -> num -> bool val (>=/) : num -> num -> bool val (<>/) : num -> num -> bool val eq_num : num -> num -> bool val lt_num : num -> num -> bool val le_num : num -> num -> bool val gt_num : num -> num -> bool val ge_num : num -> num -> bool val compare_num : num -> num -> int Return -1 , 0 or 1 if the first argument is less than, equal to, or greater than the second argument. val max_num : num -> num -> num Return the greater of the two arguments. val min_num : num -> num -> num Return the smaller of the two arguments. === Coercions with strings === val string_of_num : num -> string Convert a number to a string, using fractional notation. val approx_num_fix : int -> num -> string See Num.approx_num_exp . val approx_num_exp : int -> num -> string Approximate a number by a decimal. The first argument is the required precision. The second argument is the number to approximate. Num.approx_num_fix uses decimal notation; the first argument is the number of digits after the decimal point. approx_num_exp uses scien- tific (exponential) notation; the first argument is the number of digits in the mantissa. val num_of_string : string -> num Convert a string to a number. === Coercions between numerical types === val int_of_num : num -> int val num_of_int : int -> num val nat_of_num : num -> Nat.nat val num_of_nat : Nat.nat -> num val num_of_big_int : Big_int.big_int -> num val big_int_of_num : num -> Big_int.big_int val ratio_of_num : num -> Ratio.ratio val num_of_ratio : Ratio.ratio -> num val float_of_num : num -> float OCamldoc 2012-06-26 Num(3o)