Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming to get the correct value with unsigned int Post 302113924 by manoj.rana on Wednesday 11th of April 2007 06:29:50 AM
Old 04-11-2007
struct size

Hi ,
the solution given above is right but i want to correct at one point.
c = b - (unsigned int )sizeof(struct a);
printf("%d\n",c); will print -2
because any struct occupy the memory in chunk of words. and for linux word is 4 bytes. so for char it occupies 4 bytes give one byte to char and pad the rest 3 bytes so sizeof(struct a) gives 12 as size
Smilie

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

Unsigned int

How can I store and/or print() a number that is larger than 4 294 967 295 in C? is int64_t or u_int64_t what I need ? if, so how can I printf it to stdout? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nimnod
2 Replies

2. Programming

difference between int ** func() and int *& func()

What is the difference between int** func() and int*& func(). Can you please explain it with suitable example. Thanks, Devesh. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: devesh
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

int open(const char *pathname, int flags, mode_t mode) doubt...

hello everybody! I want to create a file with permissions for read, write, and execute to everybody using C, so I write this code: #include <stdio.h> #include <sys/types.h> #include <sys/stat.h> #include <fcntl.h> int main(){ int fileDescriptor; fileDescriptor =... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: csnmgeek
2 Replies

4. Red Hat

cast from const void* to unsigned int loses precision

Hello everey one, here i am attempting to compile a c++ project .it's throughing the following errors. my machine details are as follows: Linux chmclozr0119 2.6.18-53.el5 #1 SMP Wed Oct 10 16:34:19 EDT 2007 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux errors: ===== Generating... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: mannam srinivas
0 Replies

5. Programming

Handle int listen(int sockfd, int backlog) in TCP

Hi, from the manual listen(2): listen for connections on socket - Linux man page It has a parameter called backlog and it limits the maximum length of queue of pending list. If I set backlog to 128, is it means no more than 128 packets can be handled by server? If I have three... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sehang
3 Replies

6. Programming

Help with understanding ( int, char, long, short, signed, unsigned etc.... )

My question is simple: When should I use a long, int, char, unsigned/signed variables?? When I declare a variable "unsigned;" what did I do it??? Why would I delcare an integer "long" or "short" ( unsigned or signed)?? Any examples of when things like "unsigned", "long", "short" etc...... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cpp_beginner
6 Replies

7. Programming

Comparing unsigned char bits.

/******************************************************************************/ /* Printing an unsigned character in bits */ #include <stdio.h> void display_bits ( unsigned char ); int main() { unsigned char x; /*... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: robin_simple
15 Replies

8. Programming

Signed and unsigned intergers

when a date type is considered signed and unsigned is that simple referring to - for signed and positive numbers for unsigned? Further if that is the case would mutiplying and dividing ect where 2 signed numbers, like (-2)*(-2) = 4 result in a unsigned. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fingerz
3 Replies

9. Programming

Unable to assign zero to unsigned character array

Hi, I am unable to assign value zero to my variable which is defined as unsigned char. typedef struct ABCD { unsigned char abc; unsigned char def; unsigned char ghi; } ABCD; typedef ABCD *PABCD; In my Por*C code, i assign the values using memcpy like below ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gthangav
3 Replies

10. OS X (Apple)

Unsigned to signed, error?...

Hi guys... Macbook Pro, 13", circa August 2012, OSX 10.7.5, default bash terminal. I require the capability to convert +32767 to -32768 into signed hex words... The example piece code below works perfectly except... #/bin/bash # sign.sh # Unsign to sign... while true do # I have used... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wisecracker
2 Replies
bup-margin(1)						      General Commands Manual						     bup-margin(1)

NAME
bup-margin - figure out your deduplication safety margin SYNOPSIS
bup margin [options...] DESCRIPTION
bup margin iterates through all objects in your bup repository, calculating the largest number of prefix bits shared between any two entries. This number, n, identifies the longest subset of SHA-1 you could use and still encounter a collision between your object ids. For example, one system that was tested had a collection of 11 million objects (70 GB), and bup margin returned 45. That means a 46-bit hash would be sufficient to avoid all collisions among that set of objects; each object in that repository could be uniquely identified by its first 46 bits. The number of bits needed seems to increase by about 1 or 2 for every doubling of the number of objects. Since SHA-1 hashes have 160 bits, that leaves 115 bits of margin. Of course, because SHA-1 hashes are essentially random, it's theoretically possible to use many more bits with far fewer objects. If you're paranoid about the possibility of SHA-1 collisions, you can monitor your repository by running bup margin occasionally to see if you're getting dangerously close to 160 bits. OPTIONS
--predict Guess the offset into each index file where a particular object will appear, and report the maximum deviation of the correct answer from the guess. This is potentially useful for tuning an interpolation search algorithm. --ignore-midx don't use .midx files, use only .idx files. This is only really useful when used with --predict. EXAMPLE
$ bup margin Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 40 40 matching prefix bits 1.94 bits per doubling 120 bits (61.86 doublings) remaining 4.19338e+18 times larger is possible Everyone on earth could have 625878182 data sets like yours, all in one repository, and we would expect 1 object collision. $ bup margin --predict PackIdxList: using 1 index. Reading indexes: 100.00% (1612581/1612581), done. 915 of 1612581 (0.057%) SEE ALSO
bup-midx(1), bup-save(1) BUP
Part of the bup(1) suite. AUTHORS
Avery Pennarun <apenwarr@gmail.com>. Bup unknown- bup-margin(1)