Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting vmstat returns good val for cpuIdle put ps shows no active process Post 302113712 by Deal_NoDeal on Monday 9th of April 2007 01:01:49 PM
Old 04-09-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by OFFSIHR
thanks for your reply Deal_NoDeal.

The problem I'm getting is that I get 0.0 returned for all my %CPUs. AARGH!
I decided to use vmstat not mpstat as wasn't that interested in by processor just overal.

When I use vmstat I don't take the first output for the reason you state. I get the latest val output after 2 seconds
Code:
#gets the column that contains the cpu idle val as diff col on diff sys
idColNo=`/usr/bin/vmstat 1 2 | grep id | awk -v idleVal=id -f cpuIdle.awk`
#gets val that corresponds to column
cpuIdleTime=`/usr/bin/vmstat 1 2 | tail -1 | awk -v idColNo=$idColNo '{ split($0, vals); print vals[idColNo]}'`

Do you have ideas?
Thanks for your time
I will try to find out more on this one. Nothing useful hits me now.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

top shows stopped process

When I run the top command, it shows 1 process as being Stopped. This is not a zombie, but simply a stopped process. Unfortunately, I can't figure out how to tell which process this is, nor why it is in a stopped state? Any way of finding this out? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: IrishRogue
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

process grepping returns itself

I am trying to write a script to make a ssh tunnel persist. I am writing it to check the existence of the tunnel on port 3307 and if it is not found start it: #!/usr/local/bin/bash # ~/my_tunnel.sh tunnel_up=`ps ax|grep 3307` if ; then ssh -fNg -C -L 3307:127.0.0.1:3306... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: smtpgeek
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to be sure that's the good Process ?

Hi there, First, must said sorry for my bad english : hope to be understood. I work on HP-UX and need to work with specific processus. In order to migrate to other system with the less work as possible (portability) i must write a script that verify if a processus B is a son of a processus A.... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fung999
0 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Rollover/compress log from ACTIVE process

I have some Solaris processes that run weeks at a time that create rather large log files that I would like to archive/compress daily. Instead of stopping the process, what can be done so that the log file is backed up and shrunk, but the process can still log to the open file handle without major... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: ckmehta
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Q's on Active Process Time

Is it possible to display active processes' Year,Month,Day,Hour,Minute,Second info of process start time ? Preferbly in the format "YYYY/MM/DD HH:MM:SS" ? I tried to do this with the ps command but it only gets the time or date. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Cheers Steve (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: stevefox
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to put FTP process as a background process/job in perl?

Hi, I am using net::ftp for transferring files now i am trying in the same Linux server as a result ftp is very fast but if the server is other location (remote) then the file transferred will be time consuming. So i want try putting FTP part as a background process. I am unaware how to do... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanitham
5 Replies

7. High Performance Computing

showq shows less active nodes as normal

Hi, I am new in system administration. I observe that some nodes in our cluster are not considered as active by showq: 22 active jobs 217 of 257 processors in use by local jobs (84.44%) 15 of 17 nodes active (88.24%) but then I try to log into... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: armando_2011
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Infinite while loop script shows more than one process

Hi, I have a script which triggers an infinite loop. #!bin/bash trig=`ls /home/trig.tch |wc -l` function callj { some commands... } while do callj & done The number of process after doing a ps -ef |grep Mon.sh returns processes even after the script is killed by deleting the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: chetan.c
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Determining if a process is active in UNIX

We have written a bare bones scheduling app using bash scripts. The input to the scheduler is from a mainframe scheduling tool, and the scripts exit code is returned to the MF. The problem is that every now and again I have a script that does not complete and this is left in my Q. I am in the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Charles Swart
1 Replies

10. Solaris

How to find blocked process in vmstat?

Hi, How to find which processes are blocked? b column in vmstat shows higher values some times(approximately 30 min) bash-3.2# vmstat 1 10 kthr memory page disk faults cpu r b w swap free re mf pi po fr de sr m1 m1 m1 m2 in sy cs us... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sureshsun
3 Replies
VMSTAT(8)						   Linux Administrator's Manual 						 VMSTAT(8)

NAME
vmstat - Report virtual memory statistics SYNOPSIS
vmstat [-n] [delay [ count]] vmstat[-V] DESCRIPTION
vmstat reports information about processes, memory, paging, block IO, traps, and cpu activity. The first report produced gives averages since the last reboot. Additional reports give information on a sampling period of length delay. The process and memory reports are instantaneous in either case. Options The -n switch causes the header to be displayed only once rather than periodically. delay is the delay between updates in seconds. If no delay is specified, only one report is printed with the average values since boot. count is the number of updates. If no count is specified and delay is defined, count defaults to infinity. The -V switch results in displaying version information. FIELD DESCRIPTIONS
Procs r: The number of processes waiting for run time. b: The number of processes in uninterruptable sleep. w: The number of processes swapped out but otherwise runnable. This field is calculated, but Linux never desperation swaps. Memory swpd: the amount of virtual memory used (kB). free: the amount of idle memory (kB). buff: the amount of memory used as buffers (kB). Swap si: Amount of memory swapped in from disk (kB/s). so: Amount of memory swapped to disk (kB/s). IO bi: Blocks sent to a block device (blocks/s). bo: Blocks received from a block device (blocks/s). System in: The number of interrupts per second, including the clock. cs: The number of context switches per second. CPU These are percentages of total CPU time. us: user time sy: system time id: idle time NOTES
vmstat does not require special permissions. These reports are intended to help identify system bottlenecks. Linux vmstat does not count itself as a running process. All linux blocks are currently 1k, except for CD-ROM blocks which are 2k. FILES
/proc/meminfo /proc/stat /proc/*/stat SEE ALSO
ps(1), top(1), free(1) BUGS
Does not tabulate the block io per device or count the number of system calls. AUTHOR
Written by Henry Ware <al172@yfn.ysu.edu>. Throatwobbler Ginkgo Labs 27 July 1994 VMSTAT(8)