Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: passing variable to function
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers passing variable to function Post 302113278 by Knotty on Wednesday 4th of April 2007 02:05:13 PM
Old 04-04-2007
Hammer & Screwdriver

Yeah thanks reborg. I was thinking that there was something that I was doing wrong. The positional parameter referencing thinglymijig. Thanks again.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing a variable name to be created within a function

Is it possible to pass a variable name, as a parameter to a function, so it can be created within this function ? Something like this: func_uppercase abcdefgh var_name where the 1st parameter is the string I want to convert and the 2nd is the desired variable name... $2=`echo "$1" |... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: 435 Gavea
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Parameter passing in a function

I need to pass a parameter to a function in a script. My parameter is a string. When I display the parameter within my function, I only get the first word from string I pass in. How can I make the function receive the whole string (and not terminate at the first space it encounters)?. part of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: fastgoon
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing string from function with '*'

Hi I have a shell function which returns string(ksh). The string is an sql statement. This statement can have '*' in its content (i.e. select 100 / 2 *100 from dual). When this happens ret_str will have contents of current directry I run the script from build in sql. Is there any way to fix it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: zam
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Passing a unix variable value to a Plsql function

Suppose I have a unix variable called RGNM which is holding a value. Now I want to call a plsql function in my script. THis plsql function takes one IN parameter. I want to pass my UNIX VARIABLE Value to the plsql function. Can i just give it by giving $RGNM in the function after calling sqlplus... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cobroraj
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

passing a variable inside a variable to a function

I would like to know how to pass a variable inside a variable to a function. sample code below -------------- for x in 1 9 do check_null $C$x ##call function to check if the value is null if then echo "line number:$var_cnt,... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: KingVikram
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing global variable to a function which is called by another function

Hi , I have three funcions f1, f2 and f3 . f1 calls f2 and f2 calls f3 . I have a global variable "period" which i want to pass to f3 . Can i pass the variable directly in the definition of f3 ? Pls help . sars (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sars
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing variable content to a function

following on from below link https://www.unix.com/shell-programming-scripting/171076-shell-scripting.html#post302573569 i will be using file reading in while loop say for example while read line123 do echo "line read is $line123" insert_funct $line123 done< mysqldump.sql... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

passing argument from one function to another

Hi all, In the given script code . I want to pass the maximum value that variable "i" will have in function DivideJobs () to variable $max of function SubmitCondorJob(). Any help? Thanks #!/bin/bash ... (55 Replies)
Discussion started by: nrjrasaxena
55 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Passing variable as input & storing output in other variable

I have a below syntax its working fine... var12=$(ps -ef | grep apache | awk '{print $2,$4}') Im getting expected output as below: printf "%b\n" "${VAR12}" dell 123 dell 456 dell 457 Now I wrote a while loop.. the output of VAR12 should be passed as input parameters to while loop and results... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sam@sam
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Passing variable value in a function to be used by another function

Hello All, I would like to ask help from you on how to pass variable value from a function that has been called inside the function. I have created below and put the variables in " ". Is there another way I can do this? Thank you in advance. readtasklist() { while read -r mod ver... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aderamos12
1 Replies
getopt(1)						      General Commands Manual							 getopt(1)

NAME
getopt - parse command options SYNOPSIS
optstring args DESCRIPTION
is used to break up options in command lines for easy parsing by shell procedures and to check for legal options. optstring is a string of recognized option letters (see getopt(3C)). If a letter is followed by a colon, the option is expected to have an argument, which may or may not be separated from it by whitespace. The positional parameters ...) of the shell are reset so that each option is preceded by a and is in its own positional parameter; each option argument is also parsed into its own positional parameter. recognizes two hyphens to delimit the end of the options. If absent, places at the end of the options. The most common use of is in the shell's command (see the example below) where converts the command line to a more easily parsed form. writes the modified command line to the standard output. EXTERNAL INFLUENCES
Environment Variables determines the language in which messages are displayed. If is not specified in the environment or is set to the empty string, the value of is used as a default for each unspecified or empty vari- able. If is not specified or is set to the empty string, a default of "C" (see lang(5)) is used instead of If any internationalization variable contains an invalid setting, behaves as if all internationalization variables are set to "C". See environ(5). International Code Set Support Single-byte and multibyte character code sets are supported. DIAGNOSTICS
prints an error message on the standard error when it encounters an option letter that is not included in optstring. EXAMPLES
The following code fragment processes the arguments for a command that can take the options or and the option which requires an argument: This code accepts any of the following as equivalent: WARNINGS
option arguments must not be null strings nor contain embedded blanks. SEE ALSO
getopts(1), sh(1), getopt(3C). getopt(1)