Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Help me in this variable problem Post 302112866 by cfajohnson on Saturday 31st of March 2007 02:47:32 PM
Old 03-31-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by SankarV
suppose i declare

a=b
b=30

echo $(echo $a)

i need to get the value as 30

i dont know if im right but it prints only 'b' as output.

How can i get the value referred by 'b' through the value of 'a'
Code:
eval "echo \$$a"

In bash, you can do:
Code:
echo "${!a}"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with variable type

Dear All, I am trying to write an script to calculate geometric centre of selected residues of a protein structure. Say I have a PDB file (a text containing the x, y, and z coordinates of atoms of a protein). I want to extract the X coordinates of the atoms belonging to the interested residues... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: siavoush
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

grep for a variable problem

I am trying to use two files and walk through the first one to see if a value from each record resides in the other file. I am reading the file record by record and awking out the first field into a varaiable. That is working fine. When I try to write my grep command it gives me an error. ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: MizzGail
7 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with variable use

Hi, I need a little help with variable use: I have the a file with follow format: Type: Test Profile: 010 84240 27 15 84900 11 09 84993 55 44 84762 12 12 I need to look the value in the line containing "Profile" and put in front of the lines containing numbers... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem wit the $? variable

Hi Friends, I have a problem when i run this piece of script, and do echo $? it always gives me value 0, even if the string "CCRCWebServerINSTALLDIR" is not present in that file. Why is that so, can you give me suggestion to the changes i need to make? $find... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: asirohi
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with variable value

Can anyone help me?...I don't know why the second 'echo $contador' always shows 0 (zero): 1 #!/bin/bash 2 contador=0 3 while read linea 4 do 5 echo 6 echo "$linea" | while IFS="" read -n 1 caracter 7 do 8 contador=$((${contador}+1)) 9 echo $contador... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: albertogarcia
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem in storing value to variable

#bash curVer=`cat /var/sadm/clsversion | cut -f 2 -d "_"` echo "CurVer:$curVer" ls |grep -v tar| grep -v sh| grep -v log|cut -f 1 -d "_" | sort -u >tmp1 for line in $(cat tmp1) do ver=`echo $line_$curVer` ls $line* |sort >tmp2 grep -n ${ver} tmp2 >/dev/null ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajamohan
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk variable problem

Hi How are you people .. I am facing another problem regarding awk below is my code -bash-3.00$ export a=10 -bash-3.00$ echo $a 10 -bash-3.00$ echo "" | nawk -v var=$a ' { if(var=10) { print "abc" } else { print "def"} } ' abc -bash-3.00$ echo "" | nawk -v var=$a ' { if(var==10)... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aishsimplesweet
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in variable comparision

Hi All, I need to compare the string variable with input value which have more than one word which also should be case insensitive. #!/bin/sh echo "please choose your choice: " read choice if ` ] then echo "correct" else echo "wrong" fi but i am getting the output for first word... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kalai
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with a variable withing a variable

hello there, basically im screwed with a variable that should take the last modification date of a file. my code is fileCreationTime=$(( `ls -l $fileName | tr -s " " | cut -d " " -f6` )) my problem arise coz when the code is executed and stored in a file the return value is 1993 and not... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: thurft
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in assigning value to variable have value fo other variable

my script is some thing like this i11="{1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,}" echo "enter value" read value ..............suppose i11 x="$value" echo "$($value)" .............the echo should be {1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,} but its showing "i11" only. plz help me out to get desired... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagar_1986
10 Replies
MSSQL_NUM_FIELDS(3)													       MSSQL_NUM_FIELDS(3)

mssql_num_fields - Gets the number of fields in result

SYNOPSIS
int mssql_num_fields (resource $result) DESCRIPTION
mssql_num_fields(3) returns the number of fields in a result set. PARAMETERS
o $result - The result resource that is being evaluated. This result comes from a call to mssql_query(3). RETURN VALUES
Returns the number of fields, as an integer. EXAMPLES
Example #1 mssql_num_fields(3) example <?php // Connect to MSSQL and select the database $link = mssql_connect('KALLESPCSQLEXPRESS', 'sa', 'phpfi'); mssql_select_db('php', $link); // Select some data from our database $data = mssql_query('SELECT [name], [age] FROM [php].[dbo].[persons]'); // Construct a table echo '<table border="1">'; $header = false; // Iterate through returned results while ($row = mssql_fetch_array($data)) { // Build the table header if (!$header) { echo '<thead>'; echo '<tr>'; for ($i = 1; ($i + 1) <= mssql_num_fields($data); ++$i) { echo '<td>' . ucfirst($row[$i]) . '</td>'; } echo '</tr>'; echo '</thead>'; echo '<tbody>'; $header = true; } // Build the row echo '<tr>'; foreach($row as $value) { echo '<td>' . $value . '</td>'; } echo '</tr>'; } // Close table echo '</tbody>'; echo '</table>'; // Clean up mssql_free_result($data); mssql_close($link); ?> SEE ALSO
mssql_query(3), mssql_fetch_field(3), mssql_num_rows(3). PHP Documentation Group MSSQL_NUM_FIELDS(3)