Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers How to set a path for a command? Post 302112703 by ennstate on Thursday 29th of March 2007 02:37:31 PM
Old 03-29-2007
Add PATH in profile

In case if you use Korn Shell add this line to your ~/.profile

HTML Code:
export PATH=/usr/java/jre1.5.0_11/bin/java:$PATH
In case of bash add the above line to ~/.bash_profile

Thanks
Nagarajan Ganesan.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

why the PATH can not be set correctly?

I'm using Linux-Mandrake 8.0 in my laptop. After I logged in as a "root", I added a new path in my .bashrc file (I use bash shell). Then I can observe it has been set correctly by typing echo $PATH. But, when I log in again as a personal account, not "root", then I open my bash shell, and type... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: yishen
5 Replies

2. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

set path so all new users can execute the command in /bin/mycommands

I want to add a default path /bin/mycommands along with others to be loaded as default path for all new accounts created on my system . With out the new accounts not having to change thie manually to /bin/mycommands.Do I change the /etc/profile ? is there any better way? Please throw some... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sravusa
2 Replies

3. Solaris

set path

hi how do i change the default PATH in my system. i log in as root, and i have .profile file in my / directory. ive put the PATH=.:/usr.......... statement, but that doesnt seem to be working i also wanted to know why exactly we need the profile file in etc? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: strider
6 Replies

4. Solaris

Not Able to Set the path

Hi, I want to set the path for my application so I am setting the path as below -- PATH=${PATH}:.:/envs/mldev/tools:/envs/mldev/common/tools:${HOME}:/bin/p4v:/usr/j2se:/usr/j2se/bin:/usr/j2se/lib or PATH="\ /usr/bin:\ /usr/sbin:\ /usr/dt/bin:\ ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: smartgupta
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

need sed command to read a path and set to variable

I have a variable called PATH that contains a path example: /Users/rtipton/Desktop/testusers/test I need a sed command to set a variable called USER to the last directory name in that path PATH="/Users/rtipton/Desktop/testusers/test" and from that PATH i need USER to = test I know sed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: tret
4 Replies

6. Solaris

How to set path for a command

Hi all, I am trying ping command in SUN v240 server but it is not working but when i am using the full path /usr/sbin/ping <ip address> then it is working. how to set the path of ping command so that by simply typing ping <ip address> it should work ? Plz help me out:( (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: saurabh84g
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

PATH set but I can't find where!!!!

Hi, Can anybody help with this? When I log into my user account on my box via ssh and then instantly perform an env command I see that my path has been set as follows: PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin My user account uses the ksh shell. In my home directory there is no... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: Donkey25
7 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How do I set the path

Very new to this type of thing so go easy on me....... I have downloaded a command language for data display. It came as ncl_ncarg-5.2.1.MacOS_10.6_i386_64bit_gcc421.tar.gz and I unzipped/tarred it into my local directory. The new directory, ncl_ncarg-5.2.1.MacOS_10.6_i386_64bit_gcc421,... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: davcra
7 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Path set

Something changed on my unix box. Now when I log in it is showing entire path. It used to show only $ prompt before. I know I need to do something in .profile to show only $ prompt Could you please tell me what I should do, to show only $ prompt. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: raopatwari
4 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Command to see the logical volume path, device mapper path and its corresponding dm device path

Currently I am using this laborious command lvdisplay | awk '/LV Path/ {p=$3} /LV Name/ {n=$3} /VG Name/ {v=$3} /Block device/ {d=$3; sub(".*:", "/dev/dm-", d); printf "%s\t%s\t%s\n", p, "/dev/mapper/"v"-"n, d}' Would like to know if there is any shorter method to get this mapping of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: royalibrahim
2 Replies
JAVA-WRAPPERS(7)						   Java wrappers						  JAVA-WRAPPERS(7)

NAME
java-wrappers - capacities shared by java wrapper scripts DESCRIPTION
Most Java programs are not run directly, but through small shell scripts that take care of various things, such as finding a suitable java environment and looking for libraries. To ease the task of the maintainers, they rely on a library providing runtime detection, library detection and other features. This manual page describes the common features of all those scripts, and to which point you can configure them. This is mainly done via environment variables. ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
java-wrappers understands some environment variables: JAVA_CMD The java command that will be run. If this variable is set, it disables all lookup for a java runtime. JAVA_BINDIR Specifies a directory that will be looked for a java or a jdb executable (depending on the setting of JAVA_DEBUGGER). It has prece- dence over JAVA_HOME but not over JAVA_CMD. JAVA_HOME A path to a java runtime. If this variable is set, all lookup for a java runtime is disabled, except that if no java executable is found in the path, the command java is used. JAVA_FLAVOR A probably more easy-to-use version of the JAVA_HOME variable: instead of specifying the full path of the java runtime, you name it. List of available flavors can be found in the file /usr/lib/java-wrappers/jvm-list.sh. See examples below. JAVA_DEBUGGER If this is set, the wrapper will try to pick up a java debugger rather than a java interpreter. This will fail if the jbd of the runtime found is a stub. JAVA_CLASSPATH Additional classpath, will have priority over the one found by the wrapper. JAVA_ARGS Additional arguments to the java command. They will come before all other arguments. FORCE_CLASSPATH If this variable is set, it will be the only classpath. You'd better know what you are doing. DEBUG_WRAPPER This is probably the most important variable; if it set, the wrapper will print out useful information as it goes by its business, such as which runtime it did find, and which command is run eventually. JAVA_JARPATH The path where the wrappers will go looking for jar archives. If not set, the wrapper will look into the default directory, /usr/share/java. Warning : the wrapper will not look anywhere else than in JAVA_JARPATH. Setting it incorrectly will most probably result in early crashes. EXAMPLES
The examples all rely on rasterizer(1), from the package libbatik-java, but they really apply to all scripts that use java-wrappers. Print out debugging information: DEBUG_WRAPPER=1 rasterizer Limit rasterizer's memory to 80 MB: JAVA_ARGS=-Xmx80m rasterizer Force rasterizer to run with kaffe(1): JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/kaffe rasterizer The same, but using JAVA_BINDIR: JAVA_BINDIR=/usr/lib/kaffe/bin rasterizer Force rasterizer to run with openjdk: JAVA_FLAVOR=openjdk rasterizer Debug rasterizer with Sun's debugger, while printing debugging information from the wrapper: DEBUG_WRAPPER=1 JAVA_CMD=/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/bin/jdb rasterizer BUGS
Care has been taken to make the wrappers bug-free. If that was not the case, please file a bug report against the java-wrappers package. If you wish to submit any problem with a java executable relying on java-wrappers, please also submit the output of the command run with DEBUG_WRAPPER=1. It will save one mail exchange and therefore potentially reduce the time it takes to fix the bug. DEVELOPERS
There is currently no documentation about writing a wrapper script save the comments in /usr/lib/java-wrappers/java-wrappers.sh. If you have to write one, we suggest you base yourself upon, for instance, the rasterizer wrapper script, or any other one (just pick up any direct reverse dependency of java-wrappers and look for scripts). SEE ALSO
java(1), jdb(1) /usr/lib/java-wrappers/java-wrappers.sh AUTHOR
java-wrappers and its documentation were written by Vincent Fourmond <fourmond@debian.org> Version 0.1.16 2010-05-04 JAVA-WRAPPERS(7)