Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux SuSE root folders group changed in SUSE linux Post 302112307 by napster_san on Tuesday 27th of March 2007 08:05:29 AM
Old 03-27-2007
root folders group changed in SUSE linux

The group of the /root folder has been changed and then logged out
I am not able to log in to the /root user as it is saying Xsession log in not allowed
Is there any way that the group of the /root folder be changed?

4 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

what impact root gid changed from other to root is?

> id root 0(root) 1(other) From CIS scanning result"it should make sure the root's gid is equal to 0", so I don't know what's the impact for that change to whole system? BTW, why is there a group named other under solaris? what does group "other" do ? Thanks very much! (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: a2156z
3 Replies

2. SuSE

Resize Root Filesystem in SUSE Linux

Hello Experts, I am very new to unix environment. Root filesystem in one of our Linux boxes has almost reached 100%. is there a procedure/ way to resize the root filesystem. ****************************************************** ld8331:/ # df -h|more Filesystem Size Used... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ashok1784
2 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

SuSE-11 Ownership of files having root got changed

Hi Experts, I have create a new user with uid and gid as 0 in SuSE-11 Server. After that all the files having root owner ship are showing as new user name as owner. If I login as root, and type 'id' command, it also shows the new user. Sample output from my server. host:~ # id uid=0(test)... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vipinable
4 Replies

4. AIX

Root password changed but old one still works

Hello i am running AIX 6.1. i recently changed the root password using passwd and pwdadm. while the new password works fine, i am still able to login using the old password. is there anyway this can disabled\fixed thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dnlsingh
5 Replies
NEWGRP(1)                                                          User Commands                                                         NEWGRP(1)

NAME
newgrp - log in to a new group SYNOPSIS
newgrp [-] [group] DESCRIPTION
The newgrp command is used to change the current group ID during a login session. If the optional - flag is given, the user's environment will be reinitialized as though the user had logged in, otherwise the current environment, including current working directory, remains unchanged. newgrp changes the current real group ID to the named group, or to the default group listed in /etc/passwd if no group name is given. newgrp also tries to add the group to the user groupset. If not root, the user will be prompted for a password if she does not have a password (in /etc/shadow if this user has an entry in the shadowed password file, or in /etc/passwd otherwise) and the group does, or if the user is not listed as a member and the group has a password. The user will be denied access if the group password is empty and the user is not listed as a member. If there is an entry for this group in /etc/gshadow, then the list of members and the password of this group will be taken from this file, otherwise, the entry in /etc/group is considered. CONFIGURATION
The following configuration variables in /etc/login.defs change the behavior of this tool: SYSLOG_SG_ENAB (boolean) Enable "syslog" logging of sg activity. FILES
/etc/passwd User account information. /etc/shadow Secure user account information. /etc/group Group account information. /etc/gshadow Secure group account information. SEE ALSO
id(1), login(1), su(1), sg(1), gpasswd(1), group(5), gshadow(5). shadow-utils 4.5 01/25/2018 NEWGRP(1)