Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Very simple argument in scripting question Post 302112245 by Dhruva on Tuesday 27th of March 2007 02:47:27 AM
Old 03-27-2007
yes as raghram said pasting full source will help.
The echo is printing -n on screen means you dont have -n option available so you can use \c(escape seq) to solve the same prob.
Code:
echo "this is test\c"
read x

will do same as
Code:
echo -n "this is test"
read x

pls note read -n option is available with ksh shell and echo -n is with csh.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with simple scripting actions

Hi, I am a beginner in unix shell scripting. I wanted simple information like 1- How to know what are the number of command line options given for the script file? 2- How to check if a variable value is interger or string? 3- How to use awk to replace value of a variable For example I... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nads
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

simple scripting question

I am new to scropting and I am just trying to work on a few simple things.... Using sh I want to do something similar to the follwoing run a simple command like a dig then I want it to get the server that it is authorotative and return it to me saying somehting like xx.xx is authorotative. I am... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gennaro
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ok simple question for simple knowledge...

Ok what is BSD exactly? I know its a type of open source but what is it exactly? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Corrail
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple Scripting Problem

Hi there, I was trying to add a line of text in the middle line of a file. I have counted the lines in the file, and then I divide it into 2, after that I am stuck on how am I suppose to append the line on that file? When I tried to use this command 'second line >> filename' it appends it at... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: felixwhoals
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with simple korn scripting

Hi, The logic is very simple but I can't seem to make this work in Korn shell. I need to check two files to make sure there is no errors. Each of the file will have number. For example, first file btt.txt will have 112 which is good. Second file bgg.txt will have 6 which is also good. If I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: samnyc
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Simple scripting.

echo "what is your username?" read username echo $username echo /home/$username $backup="backup" $restore="restore" # # if then echo "No username provided" else echo "hi $username would you like to backup or restore?" read userrequest echo $userrequest if then ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: EwanD
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help :: Simple Shell Scripting

Hello, I want to find the "IP-OF-SERVER" in /etc/squid/squid.conf And replace it with The IP of server. I know this command returns the IP of server : ifconfig | grep 'inet addr:'| grep -v '127.0.0.1' | cut -d: -f2 | awk '{ print $1}' And I can replace with sed. : sed -i... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ghadamyari
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

help with shell scripting argument

#!/bin/bash echo "enter a file or directory name" read name if then echo " argument is file " ls -l $name | awk '{print $1,}' elif echo " argument is a directory" ls -l $name | awk '{print $1}' fi what i am trying to do. get input... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: iluvsushi
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect Scripting Loop Argument Desperately Needed!

I am trying to create an Expect script that does the following: 1) Telnets to an IP address and logs in with user ID and Password 2) Issue a CLI command to the server that will output data of which I am particularly interested in a DS1 clock 'Slips' value. I want to be able to keep issuing... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dwightlaidler
0 Replies

10. Red Hat

Syslog.conf: looking for a simple answer on a simple question

Cheers! In /etc/syslog.conf, if an error type is not specified, is it logged anywhere (most preferable is it logged to /var/log/messages) or not? To be more precise I am interested in error and critical level messages. At default these errors are not specified in syslog.conf, and I need to... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dr1zzt3r
6 Replies
ckkeywd(1)							   User Commands							ckkeywd(1)

NAME
ckkeywd - prompts for and validates a keyword SYNOPSIS
ckkeywd [-Q] [-W width] [-d default] [-h help] [-e error] [-p prompt] [-k pid [-s signal]] keyword [...] DESCRIPTION
ckkeywd prompts a user and validates the response. It defines, among other things, a prompt message whose response should be one of a list of keywords, text for help and error messages, and a default value (which will be returned if the user responds with a carriage return). The answer returned from this command must match one of the defined list of keywords. All messages are limited in length to 70 characters and are formatted automatically. Any white space used in the definition (including new- line) is stripped. The -W option cancels the automatic formatting. When a tilde is placed at the beginning or end of a message definition, the default text will be inserted at that point, allowing both custom text and the default text to be displayed. If the prompt, help or error message is not defined, the default message (as defined under NOTES) will be displayed. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -d default Defines the default value as default. The default is not validated and so does not have to meet any criteria. -e error Defines the error message as error. -h help Defines the help messages as help. -k pid Specifies that process ID pid is to be sent a signal if the user chooses to abort. -p prompt Defines the prompt message as prompt. -Q Specifies that quit will not be allowed as a valid response. -s signal Specifies that the process ID pid defined with the -k option is to be sent signal signal when quit is chosen. If no signal is specified, SIGTERM is used. -W width Specifies that prompt, help and error messages will be formatted to a line length of width. OPERANDS
The following operand is supported: keyword Defines the keyword, or list of keywords, against which the answer will be verified. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 Successful execution. 1 EOF on input, or negative width on -W option, or no keywords from which to choose, or usage error. 3 User termination (quit). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
attributes(5) NOTES
The default prompt for ckkeywd is: Enter appropriate value [keyword,[...],?,q]: The default error message is: ERROR: Please enter one of the following keywords: keyword,[...],q The default help message is: keyword,[...],q When the quit option is chosen (and allowed), q is returned along with the return code 3. SunOS 5.11 14 Sep 1992 ckkeywd(1)