Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Unix Shell Scripting Standards Post 302112203 by janmolby on Monday 26th of March 2007 04:32:11 PM
Old 03-26-2007
Unix Shell Scripting Standards

Would anyone have details of pre-existing Unix shell scripting standards. I've been asked to prepare a document outlining standards when writing korn shell scripts & don't really know where to start. Thanks.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Coding Standards

Hi, I am looking for some coding standards for Unix Shell Scripting. Can anyone help me out in this? Regards, Himanshu (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: himanshu_s
3 Replies

2. UNIX IEEE Std 1003.1-2001 (POSIX.1)

Link to the Open Group (UNIX Standards)

Click HERE to learn about The Single UNIX Specification, Version 3 Or: Here is another link to the UNIX IEEE Standard, an Open Group Technical Standard, Issue 7 Keywords UNIX® is a registered trademark of The Open Group (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Neo
0 Replies

3. Programming

UNIX version standards

I'm new to UNIX programming. I'm used to starting my program's versions at 1.0, but I look at all the UNIX programs out there and see things like 0.000.1 or 3.3.000 and I'm wondering what these things really mean. Do people just type anything they feel in there? Are things in pre-release... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hirni
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

difference between AIX shell scripting and Unix shell scripting.

please give the difference between AIX shell scripting and Unix shell scripting. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: haroonec
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix shell scripting

Hi, we are writing this fields dynamically retrieved from database and writing into the file. $bmpRec = $bmpRec.'|'.$cust_id; # sp4 $bmpRec = $bmpRec.'|'.$serv_id; # sp5 $bmpRec = $bmpRec.'|'.$site_id; # sp6 $bmpRec = $bmpRec.'|'.$loc_id; # sp7 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maruthi Kunnuru
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix Shell Scripting

Hi All, Greetings!! I am trying to write a script that will get me the syslog.log file output of last week... That is ...my cron will run on Monday and will get me the syslog output of previous week , last monday-last sunday. I tried using date formatting and tail..but did not succeed.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: premamadhuri
4 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Need your Help on Unix Shell Scripting.........

Hi Friends, 1. Bash Shell Scrpt to take backup at evening 2. I need a bash shell script for killing all processes. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: vinayraj
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Secure coding standards for Shell Programming

Hi, Can anyone point me to Secure coding standards for shell programming guides, links etc etc... Thanks and regards, Vamsi K Surampalli. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: vamsisurampalli
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix Shell Scripting( Calling from Unix to PLSQL)

Hello Experts, I have the following questions to be discussed here at this esteemed discussion forum. I have two Excel sheets which contain Unix Commands llike creating directory the structure/ftp/Copy/Zip etc to basically create an environment. I need help in understanding some of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: faizsaadq
1 Replies
read(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   read(1)

NAME
read - Reads a line from standard input SYNOPSIS
read [-r] var... STANDARDS
Interfaces documented on this reference page conform to industry standards as follows: read: XCU5.0 Refer to the standards(5) reference page for more information about industry standards and associated tags. OPTIONS
Do not treat a backslash character in any special way. Consider each backslash to be part of the input line. Note The -r option is included to enable read to subsume the purpose of the obsolete line utility. OPERANDS
The name of an existing or non-existing shell variable. DESCRIPTION
The read utility reads a single line from standard input. By default, unless the -r option is specified, backslash () acts as an escape character. If standard input is a terminal device and the invoking shell is interactive, read prompts for a continuation line in the following cases: The shell reads an input line ending with a backslash, unless the -r option is specified. A here-document is not terminated after a newline character is entered. The line is split into fields as in the shell (see the sh(1) reference page); the first field is assigned to the first variable var, the second field to the second variable var, and so forth. If there are fewer var parameters specified than there are fields, the leftover fields and their intervening separators are assigned to the last var. If there are fewer fields than vars, the remaining vars are set to empty strings. The setting of variables specified by the var parameters affects the current shell execution environment. If read is called in a subshell or separate utility execution environment, such as one of the following, it does not affect the shell variables in the caller's environ- ment: (read foo) nohup read ... find . -exec read ... ; NOTES
The -r option is included to enable read to subsume the purpose of the obsolete line utility. RESTRICTIONS
The results are undefined if an end-of-file is detected following a backslash at the end of a line when -r is not specified. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: Successful completion. End-of-file was detected or an error occurred. EXAMPLES
The following command prints a file with the first field of each line moved to the end of the line: while read -r xx yy do printf "%s %s " "$yy" "$xx" done < input_file ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES
The following environment variables affect the execution of read: Determines the internal field separators used to delimit fields. Pro- vides a default value for the internationalization variables that are unset or null. If LANG is unset or null, the corresponding value from the default locale is used. If any of the internationalization variables contain an invalid setting, the utility behaves as if none of the variables had been defined. If set to a non-empty string value, overrides the values of all the other internationalization vari- ables. Determines the locale for the interpretation of sequences of bytes of text data as characters (for example, single-byte as opposed to multibyte characters in arguments). Determines the locale used to affect the format and contents of diagnostic messages written to standard error. Determines the location of message catalogues for the processing of LC_MESSAGES. Provides the prompt string that an interactive shell will write to standard error when a line ending with a backslash is read and the -r option was not specified, or if a here-document is not terminated after a newline character is entered. SEE ALSO
Commands: line(1) Functions: fread(3) Standards: standards(5) read(1)