Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers redirection in unix, '<' as opposed to '>' Post 302112001 by alikun on Saturday 24th of March 2007 12:16:29 AM
Old 03-24-2007
perderabo, thanks a lot, you're a good man...

The way i was taught about script files is to first make them executable with: chmod +x filename; then execute them with: ./ filename.

Does your statement about script mean that the < symbol can be used instead of the chmod + x, ./ commands?.

Thanks a bunch,
-a

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Unix redirection to '&-'

Hi UF family members, I am intermediate in Unix language and scripting.I know the redirection systems in unix,but the below statement confuses me: #!/bin/ksh . $HOME/.profile 2>&- Actually this is an extract from a unix script which was trying to set the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: DILEEP410
6 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Unix command redirection

Hi all,, Is there any way to redirect the command o/p directaly to a memory location instead of redirecting it to the file?? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: swap007
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

redirection

Hi, The code below works, it's a part of a bash shell script that serve to search a pattern $pattern_da_cercare in the files contained in a directory $directory_iniziale. Now the proble is: How can I redirect stderr to a file? PS: so I want to redirect ALL the errors to a file. I tryed... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: DNAx86
9 Replies

4. Programming

Java with Unix (Redirection + Piping)

Hi, To explain this question I will have to go into a bit of detail. I hope you don't mind. currently I have a log handler (an already compiled c++ version) and what it does is makes a log file and writes all the unix output (echo, etc) of a script to that log file. To me the log_handler is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fluke_perf
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unix shell output redirection help

Hi all, Actually i need to know whether there is any way to redirect the output of shell operations into any file without pipe . Actually my problem is , i run some command & its result is displayed on shell after some calculations on shell, so if i redirect its output to file, it is not... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sarbjit
5 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help with Redirection

Hi Guys, I m new to UNIX and new to this forum. Was wondering if someone can help me understand redirection (standard input output pipeline etc) for starters, not too sure what this would mean who | sort > sortedfile | pr | lp im starting to understand common commands but when throwing... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jmack123
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Output Redirection of a Unix Shell Script

Hi Guys, I have a script for which the stdout and stderr should be redirected to a log file, they should not be printed on the screen. Could you please let me know the procedure to redirect the output of the script to a log file. Thanks in advance. --- Aditya (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: chaditya
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Effect of using eval to execute a command as opposed to writing it on the commandline

cmd='date | wc' or cmd="date | wc" $cmdIf this script is executed, an error is generated. The reason written was that "The execution fails because the pipe is not expanded and is passed to date as an argument". What is meant by expansion of pipe. When we execute date | wc on the command line, it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: daudiam
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

redirection in unix

how to redirect a output value to a file (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pratima.kumari
1 Replies

10. UNIX and Linux Applications

Rescue "LiveCD" for UNIX (as opposed to Linux)

Background is I am attempting to recover/rescue an HP DL380 G5 which is running SCO Unixware 7.11. It has 3 partitions in a RAID 5 Configuration and is unable to boot with a Stage 3 boot load error. .. Client has no emergency rescue disk. System is old and redundant except they suddenly need some... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: BernP
4 Replies
GZEXE(1)						      General Commands Manual							  GZEXE(1)

NAME
gzexe - compress executable files in place SYNOPSIS
gzexe name ... DESCRIPTION
The gzexe utility allows you to compress executables in place and have them automatically uncompress and execute when you run them (at a penalty in performance). For example if you execute ``gzexe /usr/bin/gdb'' it will create the following two files: -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1026675 Jun 7 13:53 /usr/bin/gdb -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 2304524 May 30 13:02 /usr/bin/gdb~ /usr/bin/gdb~ is the original file and /usr/bin/gdb is the self-uncompressing executable file. You can remove /usr/bin/gdb~ once you are sure that /usr/bin/gdb works properly. This utility is most useful on systems with very small disks. OPTIONS
-d Decompress the given executables instead of compressing them. SEE ALSO
gzip(1), znew(1), zmore(1), zcmp(1), zforce(1) CAVEATS
The compressed executable is a shell script. This may create some security holes. In particular, the compressed executable relies on the PATH environment variable to find gzip and some standard utilities (basename, chmod, ln, mkdir, mktemp, rm, sleep, and tail). BUGS
gzexe attempts to retain the original file attributes on the compressed executable, but you may have to fix them manually in some cases, using chmod or chown. GZEXE(1)