Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Run a same script in parallel with diffs parameters Post 302111551 by hyennah on Wednesday 21st of March 2007 05:02:44 PM
Old 03-21-2007
Run a same script in parallel with diffs parameters

i have script say some_script.ksh that takes an argument

I need to run some_script.ksh in background parallely at the sametime with different arguments.

Once all the background jobs complete, i need to run this script again in parallel with another 5 set of arguments.

Would really appreciate if someone can help me on this.
The real world scenario is that I have a generic script that unloads table from the database taking the table_name and database server as arguments..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Run a script parallel for a month's worth:

Is there a utility that can be used in a shell script that would run a .sql file for 30 or 31 days in a month at the same time parallely. Please Advice. Thanks SD12. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sd12
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to run same script multiple times in parallel

Hi all, I have a requirement in which a script invokes a Java program. Lets say script ABC invokes a java program with cfg file a parameter. This script takes 10 minutes to execute . Like this ineed to run the program 10 times meaning 100 minutes if i do it sequentially. If i open... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahman_riyaz
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

script - how to prevent in parallel run

I have one shell script which is being accessed by many jobs at same time. I want to make the script such that , other job should wait for the script if script is being used by some other job. Is there any way to implement it in script level ? Gops (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Gopal_Engg
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run a script in parallel

Hey, I am new to UNIX scripting . I have script (ex: start_script) that starts a job in 10 different servers one server after another.Now I want to modify the script so that the script starts the job in all servers parallely (at a time in all servers).and I need the choice of selecting the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mpspsm
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with executing parallel sessions for same shell script with different but fixed parameters

Hi Experts, There is a shell script that accepts positional parameter between 1-25 to execute case statement of script depending upon the parameter passed. Now I need to run all the 25 sessions parallely. In each option of case statement it is connecting with sqlplus and executing a select... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: Opamps123
11 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to run csh environment parameters from k-shell script?

Hi Guys, I need to run an alias from a k-shell script ,for example 10204, which points to : source $ORACLE_BASE/scripts/cshrc/10204/.cshrc Meaning , I need to run in my k-shell script with the env settings parameters of the alias. How to do it in k-shell? Thanks in advance, Nir (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nir_s
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script to run sql query having a long listing of parameters

Hi, I have a query regarding execution of a sql query having long listing of parameters ..I need to execute this query inside a shell script. The scenario is like.... Suppose I have a file abc.txt that has the card numbers..it could be in thousands.. then I need to fire a query like ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: vsachan
12 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Perl Script:how to find how many parameters are required to run the script

How to find how many parameters are required to run a Perl script? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Lakshman_Gupta
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run script in parallel in while loop

Hi I am running a loop which actually runs same script for different argument value passed to it. while read repID do echo "Starting for $repID"; date; perl process_report.pl $repID done<${FILE_TO_READ} However this runs in sequence. I want the loop to not to wait for perl to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dashing201
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Run rest of script after parallel steps have completed

Hello gurus, I produce a number of .loc files in parallel depending on number of .csv in the folder for file in *csv do ./process.sh $file > $file.loc & done then I want to compile all the output from the previous step into a single masterlocfile and then perform the rest of the steps... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: senhia83
2 Replies
shell_builtins(1)                                                                                                                shell_builtins(1)

NAME
shell_builtins, case, for, foreach, function, if, repeat, select, switch, until, while - shell command interpreter built-in commands The shell command interpreters csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1) have special built-in commands. The commands case, for, foreach, function, if, repeat, select, switch, until, and while are commands in the syntax recognized by the shells. They are described in the Commands section of the manual pages of the respective shells. The remaining commands listed in the table below are built into the shells for reasons such as efficiency or data sharing between command invocations. They are described on their respective manual pages. | Command | Shell alias |csh, ksh bg |csh, ksh, sh break |csh, ksh, sh case |csh, ksh, sh cd |csh, ksh, sh chdir |csh, sh continue |csh, ksh, sh dirs |csh echo |csh, ksh, sh eval |csh, ksh, sh exec |csh, ksh, sh exit |csh, ksh, sh export |ksh, sh false |ksh fc |ksh fg |csh, ksh, sh for |ksh, sh foreach |csh function |ksh getopts |ksh, sh glob |csh goto |csh hash |ksh, sh hashstat |csh history |csh if |csh, ksh, sh jobs |csh, ksh, sh kill |csh, ksh, sh let |ksh limit |csh login |csh, ksh, sh logout |csh, ksh, sh nice |csh newgrp |ksh, sh nohup |csh notify |csh onintr |csh popd |csh print |ksh pushd |csh pwd |ksh, sh read |ksh, sh readonly |ksh, sh rehash |csh repeat |csh return |ksh, sh select |ksh set |csh, ksh, sh setenv |csh shift |csh, ksh, sh source |csh stop |csh, ksh, sh suspend |csh, ksh, sh switch |csh test |ksh, sh time |csh times |ksh, sh trap |ksh, sh true |ksh type |ksh, sh typeset |ksh ulimit |ksh, sh umask |csh, ksh, sh unalias |csh, ksh unhash |csh unlimit |csh unset |csh, ksh, sh unsetenv |csh until |ksh, sh wait |csh, ksh, sh whence |ksh while |csh, ksh, sh Bourne Shell, sh, Special Commands Input/output redirection is now permitted for these commands. File descriptor 1 is the default output location. When Job Control is enabled, additional Special Commands are added to the shell's environment. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, sh also uses: : No effect; the command does nothing. A zero exit code is returned. .filename Read and execute commands from filename and return. The search path specified by PATH is used to find the directory con- taining filename. C shell, csh Built-in commands are executed within the C shell. If a built-in command occurs as any component of a pipeline except the last, it is exe- cuted in a subshell. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, csh also uses: : Null command. This command is interpreted, but performs no action. Korn Shell, ksh, Special Commands Input/Output redirection is permitted. Unless otherwise indicated, the output is written on file descriptor 1 and the exit status, when there is no syntax error, is zero. Commands that are preceded by one or two * (asterisks) are treated specially in the following ways: 1. Variable assignment lists preceding the command remain in effect when the command completes. 2. I/O redirections are processed after variable assignments. 3. Errors cause a script that contains them to abort. 4. Words, following a command preceded by ** that are in the format of a variable assignment, are expanded with the same rules as a vari- able assignment. This means that tilde substitution is performed after the = sign and word splitting and file name generation are not performed. In addition to these built-in reserved command words, ksh also uses: * : [ arg ... ] The command only expands parameters. * .file [ arg ..Read the complete file then execute the commands. The commands are executed in the current shell environment. The search path specified by PATH is used to find the directory containing file. If any arguments arg are given, they become the posi- tional parameters. Otherwise, the positional parameters are unchanged. The exit status is the exit status of the last com- mand executed. the loop termination test. intro(1), alias(1), break(1), cd(1), chmod(1), csh(1), echo(1), exec(1), exit(1), find(1), getoptcvt(1), getopts(1), glob(1), hash(1), his- tory(1), jobs(1), kill(1), ksh(1), let(1), limit(1), login(1), logout(1), newgrp(1), nice(1), nohup(1), print(1), pwd(1), read(1), read- only(1), set(1), sh(1), shift(1), suspend(1), test(1B), time(1), times(1), trap(1), typeset(1), umask(1), wait(1), chdir(2), chmod(2), creat(2), umask(2), getopt(3C), profile(4), environ(5) 29 Jun 2005 shell_builtins(1)