Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Grabing the username
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Grabing the username Post 302111250 by rkumar28 on Tuesday 20th of March 2007 10:54:14 AM
Old 03-20-2007
Grabing the username

Hi,
Is there a way to grab the username who is running the shell script. I am trying to do is:

$ who am i
Peterd123 pts/5 Mar 20 09:30 (H0021563.xyz.com)

Is there a way to display only the user name above, which is"Peterd123".

Thanks
Raj
rkumar28

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grabing a file from a directory

Hi guys: I need to grab a particular file(s) from a directory. the file name is abc.xyz.2006020101200 I need to grab it based on the bold numbers. The bolded numbers are the date and such files are created everyday. My initial script was to grab the listing of that directory and then cut... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: geomonap
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get username in script

how would i go about getting the username of the person currently logged in, and then using the username in a shell script? i've tried variations of user=whoami , 'whoami' , $whoami , and none of the above work :( lol I'd like to get the username to then mount a network share such that the... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: willc0de4food
9 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grabing Date from filename and adding to the end of each line in the file.

Hi, I have 24 .dat files something like below. The file name starts with “abc” followed by two digit month and two digit year. Is there a way to grab the month and year from each filename and append it to the end of each line. Once this is done I want to combine all the files into file... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rkumar28
1 Replies

4. Solaris

Using all numeric for username

Hello, We have a Solaris 9 machine and recently our client want to create username based on staff numbers (all numeric). Is there any limitation in Solaris regarding creating username with numeric values (eg: 13598029)? Thanks & Regards Aryawarman Mahzar (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aryamahzar
5 Replies

5. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Username change

Hello Moderator, My login name is govindts. I wanted to rename this login id to shrinika Would you be able to do this? Thanks (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: govindts
1 Replies

6. AIX

Cannot delete a username

Hi experts! While I am deleting a username via smitty or by command line with userdel or rmuser y get the following error: Error committing changes to "luke" : Value is invalid. Also when adding a user I get the same error, do you know experts how to solve this issue? I'm using AIX 5.3... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: agasamapetilon
5 Replies

7. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

username

Is it possible to change my username in this site or is thre a way to delete my account and then create a new one with a diffrent user name (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: floresr
2 Replies

8. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

How to change my username?

Moderators, I want to change my username. I tried but unable to find a way to do that. Can you please assist? Thanks & Regards Abedi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: katherine2008
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grabing the same timestamp from files that are ZIPPED

Hi, I am zipping more than 20 files that has same timestamp in all of them. I need to create the zip file with the same timestamp as in the files that are zipped. So I have files: Dummytest_20140601W110515_file1.txt Dummytest_20140601W110515_file2.txt ....... .......... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Saanvi1
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Why does "ps -[u|U] username" not list processes when username is numeric?

Greetings, The title pretty much says it all. I've snooped everywhere and can't find anything on this. Since our organization went to numeric usernames, using the u|U option for ps returns no processes. Example passwd entry: 320074:DjZAJKXun8HBs:10129:6006:Joe Y:/cadhome/analysis/jy:/bin/bash... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: crimso
4 Replies
UPSRW(8)						      Network UPS Tools (NUT)							  UPSRW(8)

NAME
upsrw - UPS variable administration tool SYNOPSIS
upsrw ups upsrw -h upsrw -s variable [-u username] [-p password] ups DESCRIPTION
upsrw allows you to view and change the read/write variables inside your UPS. It sends commands via the server upsd(8) to your driver, which configures the hardware for you. The list of variables that allow you to change their values is based on the capabilities of your UPS equipment. Not all models support this feature. Typically, cheaper hardware does not support any of them. Run upsrw with a UPS identifier to see what will work for you. OPTIONS
-h Display the help message. -s variable Specify the variable to be changed inside the UPS. For unattended mode such as in shell scripts, use the format VAR=VALUE to spec- ify both the variable and the value, for example: -s HIGHXFER=129 Without this argument, upsrw will just display the list of the variables and their possible values. Some variables are strings, and can be set to any value within the length limit. Others are enumerated types and can only be set to one of those values. Refer to the list to know what's available in your hardware. -u username Set the username for the connection to the server. This is optional, and you will be prompted for this when using the -s option if you don't specify -u on the command line. -p password Set the password to authenticate to the server. This is also optional like -u, and you will be prompted for it if necessary. ups View or change the settings on this UPS. The format for this option is [upsname@]hostname[:port]. UNATTENDED MODE
If you run this program inside a shell script or similar to set variables, you will need to specify all of the information on the command line. This means using -s VAR=VALUE, -u and -p. Otherwise it will put up a prompt and your program will hang. This is not necessary when displaying the list, as the username and password are not required for read-only mode. DIAGNOSTICS
upsrw can't set variables on your UPS unless you provide a valid username and password. If you get "access denied" errors, make sure that your upsd.users(5) has an entry for you, and that the username you are using has permissions to SET variables. HISTORY
This program used to be called upsct2, which was ambiguous and confusing. SEE ALSO
upsd(8), upscmd(8) Internet resources: The NUT (Network UPS Tools) home page: http://www.exploits.org/nut/ NUT mailing list archives and information: http://lists.exploits.org/ Sat Aug 31 2002 UPSRW(8)