Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Stripping a portion of string from behind!!! Post 302111028 by kumarsaravana_s on Sunday 18th of March 2007 01:05:50 PM
Old 03-18-2007
I want a command to remove any thing like characters,numerals,special characters from the end of a file...

Can anybody help me out??? Can a CUT command do this....I need a one line command so that i can redirect it output to a file too...

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to extract a portion of a string from the whole string

How to extract a portion of a string from a full string using unix. For example: Say source string is = "req92374923.log" I want only the numeric portion of the string say "92374923" how to do that in Unix. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ds_sastry
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

stripping leftmost characters from string

Hi there, if i have some strings ie test_324423 test_242332 test_767667 but I only want the number part (the bolded bit) how do I strip the leftmost 5 characters from the output so that i will have just 324423 242332 767667 any help would be greatly appreciated Gary (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stripping the spaces in a string variable

Hi , i have to strip the spaces in the string which has the following value ABC DEF i want this to appear like this ABC DEF is there any spilt method? please help.... Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rag84dec
3 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

stripping certain characters in at the middle of a string

I am trying to strip out certain characters from a string on both (left & right) sides. For example, line=see@hear|touch, i only want to echo the "hear" part. Well i have tried this approach: line=see@hear|touch templine=${line#*@} #removed "see@" echo ${templine%%\|*} #removed... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcoblefias
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

stripping out digits from a string with sed

i want to parse a string and only display the digits in that string... How would i accomplish this with sed command. For example. input string: " 033434343 dafasdf" output string: 03343434 Thanks (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: timmylita
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove first portion of string

I have a script which currently uses a file containing a list of directories as an argument. The file is read in to an array, and then the array is iterated in a for loop. What I would like to do is cut off the first few directories of the directory path (they won't exist on the server where the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: msarro
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Stripping of a symbol from string not working properly

Hi All, I used this code to strip-off $-symbol from string values. a="$980" b="897" a=`echo "$a" | sed 's/$/ /g'` b=`echo "$b" | sed 's/$/ /g'` echo "$a" echo "$b" but this results in the output: 80 and 897 it works when i use a='$987' b='890' (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: angie1234
13 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to extract portion of a string?

Hi Gurus, Would like to seek some help on how to extract a portion of string from log's output as shown below. Sample of raw data: piece handle=/test123/disk_dump/test123/df0_cntrl_PCPFCI20120404_68498 tag=TAG20120404T180035 comment=NONE piece... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: superHonda123
13 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Checking variable with specific string and stripping number from it.

I am parsing a file and I get differnt results everytime. Sometimes I get 12s sometimes I get 54m and sometime 3h.. v1=12s or v1=54m or v1=3h 12s - 12 seconds 54m - 54 minutes 3h - 3 hour I have to write a script in such a way that it whenever v1 is in minutes, I should strip "m"... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: jayeshpatel
14 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Get portion of string from the end

Hi all, Can anyone suggest a way to get a portion of string from the end? So: $ORACLE_SID=blt10cr1 We can drop the final '1' and end up with: $ORACLE_SID=blt10cr So far I have the following: echo $ORACLE_SID | cut -c1-5 and echo $ORACLE_SID | cut -c1-6 | rev any ideas? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jonnyd
4 Replies
CUT(1)								   User Commands							    CUT(1)

NAME
cut - remove sections from each line of files SYNOPSIS
cut OPTION... [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
Print selected parts of lines from each FILE to standard output. Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too. -b, --bytes=LIST select only these bytes -c, --characters=LIST select only these characters -d, --delimiter=DELIM use DELIM instead of TAB for field delimiter -f, --fields=LIST select only these fields; also print any line that contains no delimiter character, unless the -s option is specified -n (ignored) --complement complement the set of selected bytes, characters or fields -s, --only-delimited do not print lines not containing delimiters --output-delimiter=STRING use STRING as the output delimiter the default is to use the input delimiter --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit Use one, and only one of -b, -c or -f. Each LIST is made up of one range, or many ranges separated by commas. Selected input is written in the same order that it is read, and is written exactly once. Each range is one of: N N'th byte, character or field, counted from 1 N- from N'th byte, character or field, to end of line N-M from N'th to M'th (included) byte, character or field -M from first to M'th (included) byte, character or field With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. AUTHOR
Written by David M. Ihnat, David MacKenzie, and Jim Meyering. REPORTING BUGS
Report cut bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> Report cut translation bugs to <http://translationproject.org/team/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2011 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for cut is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and cut programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'cut invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 8.12.197-032bb September 2011 CUT(1)