Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Variable for User Comment
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Variable for User Comment Post 302110013 by gseyforth on Friday 9th of March 2007 01:01:16 PM
Old 03-09-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perderabo
I have never seen a variable like that. But try awk rather than grep:
awk -F: '$1 == "'$USER'" { print $5}' < /etc/passwd

Cut and paste to be you get the quoting right.

I kinda thought that too, but I gave it a shot ... Smilie

Thanks Perderabo ... that works beautifully.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace variable with a user defined variable

I have a file that has a list of entries in a column x z z z x y z The column can have any length and any number of any strings. I need to replace each unique string with a user defined number. I can filter the unique entries out using awk '{if (NF==5) print $2}' file | uniq | nl >... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ce124
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How do you take what a user types in and convert it into a variable to be used

I am a newbie to programming on the unix Command Line*, and was wondering how you take what a user types in and convert it into a variable to be used in the script? *I always used it for file editing, but nothing more. Then I began to use BBedit. :confused: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: signebedi
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

use awk to search a file using variable given from user

Hi! I want to print selected lines from a file using awk.The file contains 6 columns(dates,time,title,description,location and attendees). So i ask the user to insert the date that he wants to display and then search the file for the matching dates so i can print the line. echo Give the date... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: DDoS
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Unable to add user defined variable

Hi, I have a user defined variable _TIME1=xxx I am using awk command for pattern matching. cat $_LOCATION/catalina.txt | awk '/^`$_TIME1`:??:??/' It not taking the value of $_TIME! eg:I am using the command to get all the patter from 12:00:00 to 12:59:59 The user defined variable... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: ahamed
2 Replies

5. Programming

how to user get unix variable USER in C

in a C program, how do you access the unix environment variable USER for example? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: omega666
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

User interaction that passes the answer to a variable

Please tell me how to write a bash script that asks the user to enter a word and that passes the entered word to a variable. echo "Type a word and press the Enter key:" myVar=`cat` echo "You entered $myVar" The above code is very awkward, because it requires the user to enter... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: LessNux
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

print user variable input

this may be basic thing for everyone here, but i cant push awk to print the variable user input which is INS, please help. code: INS=$1 printf '\n' symdg list | grep $INS-clone | awk -v i=$INS '{ID=substr($4,9,4)}{print "Device Group: "$1,"at Array "ID,i}' output: $ ./test.sh patty ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: prodigy06
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to prompt user to define a variable?

Hi everyone, Is it possible to define blank vaianbles and prompt user to fill them during the script execution? A very simple example: INPUT= OUTPUT= cut -f1-4 $INPUT | sed 's/hello/goodbye/g' | sort -uV > $OUTPUTThank you in advance! Best wishes (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lsantome
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

[BASH] Read value of variable, but not comment on the same line

Heyas So while i'm trying to increase security/usability of my TUI commands, i'm currently at tui-conf-get. There was also a bug, i wanted to fix, but sadly that bugfix is more insecure - but twice as fast as my current buggy method. I've added a getopts toggle, '-s' to toggle beSecure,... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
8 Replies

10. Solaris

How to get user environment variable for smf daemon?

I am new to smf...I am trying to create new smf service and starting a Python daemon script. The python daemon script will call few other scripts internally as subprocess. The scripts which are called by daemon are unknown of user environment variables. How can I execute smf service in user... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Sivaramakrishna
1 Replies
PPI::Token::Comment(3)					User Contributed Perl Documentation				    PPI::Token::Comment(3)

NAME
PPI::Token::Comment - A comment in Perl source code INHERITANCE
PPI::Token::Comment isa PPI::Token isa PPI::Element SYNOPSIS
# This is a PPI::Token::Comment print "Hello World!"; # So it this $string =~ s/ foo # This, unfortunately, is not :( bar /w; DESCRIPTION
In PPI, comments are represented by "PPI::Token::Comment" objects. These come in two flavours, line comment and inline comments. A "line comment" is a comment that stands on its own line. These comments hold their own newline and whitespace (both leading and trailing) as part of the one "PPI::Token::Comment" object. An inline comment is a comment that appears after some code, and continues to the end of the line. This does not include whitespace, and the terminating newlines is considered a separate PPI::Token::Whitespace token. This is largely a convenience, simplifying a lot of normal code relating to the common things people do with comments. Most commonly, it means when you "prune" or "delete" a comment, a line comment disappears taking the entire line with it, and an inline comment is removed from the inside of the line, allowing the newline to drop back onto the end of the code, as you would expect. It also means you can move comments around in blocks much more easily. For now, this is a suitably handy way to do things. However, I do reserve the right to change my mind on this one if it gets dangerously anachronistic somewhere down the line. METHODS
Only very limited methods are available, beyond those provided by our parent PPI::Token and PPI::Element classes. line The "line" accessor returns true if the "PPI::Token::Comment" is a line comment, or false if it is an inline comment. SUPPORT
See the support section in the main module. AUTHOR
Adam Kennedy <adamk@cpan.org> COPYRIGHT
Copyright 2001 - 2011 Adam Kennedy. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of the license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.16.2 2011-02-25 PPI::Token::Comment(3)