Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: floating point problem
Top Forums Programming floating point problem Post 302109650 by jim mcnamara on Wednesday 7th of March 2007 08:40:50 AM
Old 03-07-2007
Two things:

floating point numbers do not always represent a given number exactly - which you are encountering - the 0.0099998 result from division.

limits.h defines the limit of precision for each datatype, and the smallest number that can be represented. Implementations vary. FLT_DIG - the number of significant digits in a float is defined to be at least 6 for POSIX, FLT_MIN <= 10^-38.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with floating point numbers in awk

hi all, i have the following problem using awk in a script i want to read the values from a column with real numbers and calculate the mean.the problem is that when i use a statement such as this num = $4 i cant find a way to convert the variable from string to floating point to perform... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kanagias
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

floating point addition

hi, :) I have a file like this 10.456 123.567 456.876 234.987 ........ ....... What i want to do is ia have to add all those numbers and put the result in some other file. Any help pls. cheers RRK (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi raj kumar
8 Replies

3. Linux

Floating point exception !!!

Hi, I have linux fedora 4 ver., 2.6 kernal. And qmail & mysql & samba servers are already configured on this server. When I try to install any package like squidguard ,dansguardian,webmin,rsnapshots with command rpm -ivh . It is giving error as “Floating point exception" Snap View is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ssk01
3 Replies

4. Linux

Floating Point Exception

Hi, I am compiling "HelloWorld" C progam on 32-bit CentOS and i want to execute it on 64-bit CentOS architecture. For that i copied the a.out file from 32-bit to 64-bit machine, but while executing a.out file on 64bit machine I am getting "Floating point exception error". But we can run... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mandar123
3 Replies

5. Programming

Floating point Emulator

what is floating point emulator(FPE)? where and why it is used? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pgmfourms
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to compare 2 floating point no.

Hi, Could any one tell me how to compare to floating point no. using test command. As -eq option works on only intergers. i=5.4 if then echo "equal" else echo "not equal" fi here output will be equal even though no. are unequal. Thanks, ravi (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: useless79
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

floating point numbers in if

# if > then > echo "1" > else > echo "2" > fi -bash: How can i compare floating point numbers inside statement? (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
15 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

floating point number problem

Hello folks I Hope everyone is fine. I am calculating number of bytes calculation from apache web log. awk '{ sum += $10 } END { print sum }' /var/httpd/log/mydomain.log 7.45557e+09 it show above number, what should i do it sow number like 7455, i mean if after decimal point above 5 it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: learnbash
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem with floating point number loops

Hey, I guess I am just to stupid and am not seeing the "wood for the trees", but I am always getting strange errors. I want to create a mesh with coordinates like: x y z 3.1 3.0 0.75 0 0 1 3.1 2.9 0.75 0 0 1 3.1 2.8 0.75 0 0 1 3.1 2.7 0.75 0 0 1 3.0 ... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ergy1983
10 Replies

10. Programming

Floating Point

Anyone help me i cant found the error of floating point if needed, i added the code complete #include <stdio.h> #include <string.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <ctype.h> typedef struct { int hh; int mm; int ss; char nom; int punt; }cancion; typedef struct... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: Slasho
9 Replies
float.h(3HEAD)							      Headers							    float.h(3HEAD)

NAME
float.h, float - floating types SYNOPSIS
#include <float.h> DESCRIPTION
The characteristics of floating types are defined in terms of a model that describes a representation of floating-point numbers and values that provide information about an implementation's floating-point arithmetic. The following parameters are used to define the model for each floating-point type: s sign (+-1) b base or radix of exponent representation (an integer >1) e exponent (an integer between a minimum emin and a maximum emax) p precision (the number of base-b digits in the significand) fk non-negative integers less than b (the significand digits) In addition to normalized floating-point numbers (f1>0 if x!=0), floating types might be able to contain other kinds of floating-point num- bers, such as subnormal floating-point numbers (x!=0, e=emin, f1=0) and unnormalized floating-point numbers (x!=0, e=emin, f1=0), and val- ues that are not floating-point numbers, such as infinities and NaNs. A NaN is an encoding signifying Not-a-Number. A quiet NaN propagates through almost every arithmetic operation without raising a floating-point exception; a signaling NaN generally raises a floating-point exception when occurring as an arithmetic operand. The accuracy of the library functions in math.h(3HEAD) and complex.h(3HEAD) that return floating-point results is defined on the libm(3LIB) manual page. All integer values in the <float.h> header, except FLT_ROUNDS, are constant expressions suitable for use in #if preprocessing directives; all floating values are constant expressions. All except DECIMAL_DIG, FLT_EVAL_METHOD, FLT_RADIX, and FLT_ROUNDS have separate names for all three floating-point types. The floating-point model representation is provided for all values except FLT_EVAL_METHOD and FLT_ROUNDS. The rounding mode for floating-point addition is characterized by the value of FLT_ROUNDS: -1 Indeterminable. 0 Toward zero. 1 To nearest. 2 Toward positive infinity. 3 Toward negative infinity. The values of operations with floating operands and values subject to the usual arithmetic conversions and of floating constants are evalu- ated to a format whose range and precision might be greater than required by the type. The use of evaluation formats is characterized by the architecture-dependent value of FLT_EVAL_METHOD: -1 Indeterminable. 0 Evaluate all operations and constants just to the range and precision of the type. 1 Evaluate operations and constants of type float and double to the range and precision of the double type; evaluate long double operations and constants to the range and precision of the long double type. 2 Evaluate all operations and constants to the range and precision of the long double type. The values given in the following list are defined as constants. o Radix of exponent representation, b. FLT_RADIX o Number of base-FLT_RADIX digits in the floating-point significand, p. FLT_MANT_DIG DBL_MANT_DIG LDBL_MANT_DIG o Number of decimal digits, n, such that any floating-point number in the widest supported floating type with pmax radix b digits can be rounded to a floating-point number with n decimal digits and back again without change to the value. DECIMAL_DIG o Number of decimal digits, q, such that any floating-point number with q decimal digits can be rounded into a floating-point number with p radix b digits and back again without change to the q decimal digits. FLT_DIG DBL_DIG LDBL_DIG o Minimum negative integer such that FLT_RADIX raised to that power minus 1 is a normalized floating-point number, emin. FLT_MIN_EXP DBL_MIN_EXP LDBL_MIN_EXP o Minimum negative integer such that 10 raised to that power is in the range of normalized floating-point numbers. FLT_MIN_10_EXP DBL_MIN_10_EXP LDBL_MIN_10_EXP o Maximum integer such that FLT_RADIX raised to that power minus 1 is a representable finite floating-point number, emax. FLT_MAX_EXP DBL_MAX_EXP LDBL_MAX_EXP o Maximum integer such that 10 raised to that power is in the range of representable finite floating-point numbers. FLT_MAX_10_EXP DBL_MAX_10_EXP LDBL_MAX_10_EXP The values given in the following list are defined as constant expressions with values that are greater than or equal to those shown: o Maximum representable finite floating-point number. FLT_MAX DBL_MAX LDBL_MAX The values given in the following list are defined as constant expressions with implementation-defined (positive) values that are less than or equal to those shown: o The difference between 1 and the least value greater than 1 that is representable in the given floating-point type, b**1 - p. FLT_EPSILON DBL_EPSILON LDBL_EPSILON o Minimum normalized positive floating-point number, b**emin**-. FLT_MIN DBL_MIN LDBL_MIN ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
complex.h(3HEAD), math.h(3HEAD), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.10 17 Dec 2003 float.h(3HEAD)