Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: setting a variable
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers setting a variable Post 302109624 by sb008 on Wednesday 7th of March 2007 05:34:39 AM
Old 03-07-2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacoden
ls -ltd will give long list display of directory entries sorted by modification time..

Ex:

u142115@linux2alm:~/aps/aps4/product/den> ls -ltd day*
drwxr-xr-x 2 u142115 users 48 2006-12-05 10:14 day8
drwxr-xr-x 2 u142115 users 312 2006-12-05 10:03 day7
drwxr-xr-x 2 u142115 users 224 2006-11-29 12:08 day4
drwxr-xr-x 2 u142115 users 200 2006-11-28 19:27 day6
drwxr-xr-x 2 u142115 users 400 2006-11-28 11:42 day3
drwxr-xr-x 2 u142115 users 160 2006-11-28 10:00 day5

"ls -ltd sales12" will display ONLY a long listing of "sales12".

"ls -ltd day*" will display a list of files/directories because of the wildcard.

Why you need a long listing if you are only interested in the name ("awk '{print $11}'"? There aren't even 11 fields in that output.

"ls -td day*" will display exactly the same without the need to parse the output with "awk".

Last, but not least, if your "ls" command produces a list, then "var1" will also contain a list of sizes, and not a single value.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

setting CC variable

I am trying to install GCC-3.1.1 on an SGI Indigo2. I already have MIPSpro 7.2.1 installed. However, when I try to configure GCC-3.1.1, I get the message "cc ERROR: cc -o conftest -g failed, You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler." What is the name of the MIPSpro c++... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mdbanas
1 Replies

2. Programming

setting CC variable

I am trying to install GCC-3.1.1 on an SGI Indigo2. I already have MIPSpro 7.2.1 installed. However, when I try to configure GCC-3.1.1, I get the message "cc ERROR: cc -o conftest -g failed, You must set the environment variable CC to a working compiler." What is the name of the MIPSpro c++... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mdbanas
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting a variable

I want to set a variable to be any number of dashes. Rather than doing the following: MYVAR="------------------" I'd like to be able to set the variable to, say, 80 dashes but don't want to have to count 80 dashes. Is there a way to do this? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: photh
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable setting help please

L=0 cat test.sh | while read line do L='expr $1 + 1' echo $L done echo $l >>> the echo $L at the end produces 0 but i actually want it to produce the number of lines - any idea why this is happening? (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: penfold
16 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting a variable (need syntax help)

I need some syntax help (working in a bash shell) I have a variable which is a filename with an extension, and I need to create another variable with the same name but a different extension To explain, the input file should be called something like "filename.L1" and the output file should be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Slanter
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting variable

How do you set a varible with information that contains a string and also another variable? For example: subject="Attention: $name / This $type needs your attention" The $xxxx are of course other variables that I instantiated earlier. Is it like Java where you have to use double quotes and... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: briskbaby
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with setting a variable!

I am working within a while loop and i am trying to set a variable that will read out each count of the files. the problem is the count variable i have set up gives me a total and not the individual count of each file. in the data area there is 4 abc.dat and 1 def.dat. how can i do this??? ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Pablo_beezo
2 Replies

8. Programming

Setting Environment variable..!

Hi, I already have one CPP program which invokes the C program.And the C program contains whole function definitions..!This is a working program..I have to enable the logs in both CPP as well as in the C program ..!So I am reading the enviornmental variable log path from the CPP and doing the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kattoor
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Setting a variable within if block

Hi, i have a variable which i would like to set inside an if block for example IS_VAR=0 if then IS_VAR=1 fi echo IS_VAR the last echo statement gives 0.So setting variables in the if block doesnt have effect outside the block?Is there any workaround for this? Thanks , Padmini (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: padmisri
11 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Setting a variable in unix

Hi , Whenever i want to start tomcat server I need to go to <tomcatdir>\bin and execute startup.sh file. How would i make this happen whenever i start my machine? Also want to know How would i set the variable at startup. for example I want to set JAVA_HOME and JRE_HOME whenever the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pinga123
3 Replies
FTP_RAWLIST(3)								 1							    FTP_RAWLIST(3)

ftp_rawlist - Returns a detailed list of files in the given directory

SYNOPSIS
mixed ftp_rawlist (resource $ftp_stream, string $directory, [bool $recursive = false]) DESCRIPTION
ftp_rawlist(3) executes the FTP LIST command, and returns the result as an array. PARAMETERS
o $ftp_stream - The link identifier of the FTP connection. o $directory - The directory path. May include arguments for the LIST command. o $recursive - If set to TRUE, the issued command will be LIST -R. RETURN VALUES
Returns an array where each element corresponds to one line of text. Returns FALSE when passed $directory is invalid. The output is not parsed in any way. The system type identifier returned by ftp_systype(3) can be used to determine how the results should be interpreted. EXAMPLES
Example #1 ftp_rawlist(3) example <?php // set up basic connection $conn_id = ftp_connect($ftp_server); // login with username and password $login_result = ftp_login($conn_id, $ftp_user_name, $ftp_user_pass); // get the file list for / $buff = ftp_rawlist($conn_id, '/'); // close the connection ftp_close($conn_id); // output the buffer var_dump($buff); ?> The above example will output something similar to: array(3) { [0]=> string(65) "drwxr-x--- 3 vincent vincent 4096 Jul 12 12:16 public_ftp" [1]=> string(66) "drwxr-x--- 15 vincent vincent 4096 Nov 3 21:31 public_html" [2]=> string(73) "lrwxrwxrwx 1 vincent vincent 11 Jul 12 12:16 www -> public_html" } SEE ALSO
ftp_nlist(3). PHP Documentation Group FTP_RAWLIST(3)