Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ps report (on tru64)
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users ps report (on tru64) Post 302109517 by Perderabo on Tuesday 6th of March 2007 10:11:10 AM
Old 03-06-2007
If a process is waiting for a resource it will almost always be asleep and will be woken by the kernel when the resource is available. CPU's do not simply run processes...it might be running kernel code to make those needed resources available. An idle CPU is looping repeatedly scanning the run queue looking for something to do... no other state is counted as idle.

The exception to sleeping for a resource is spinlocking...just looping until the resource is free (because the resource is expected to be locked very briefly). This happens in the kernel in an SMP environment. 16 cpus is a lot and you probably spend a fair amount of time spinlocked. Spinlocking if why you can't have unlimited numbers of cpu's on an SMP box...you reach a point where you spinlock too much.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

download TRU64

Does anybody know where did I find Tru64 Unix software ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: msudin
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Top in Tru64

Hi all. Anyone know what permissions or anything is needed to give users the privileges to see top statistics information ? I ask this because I have a user on which I execute top from and display just this info load averages: 0.49, 0.47, 0.46 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fidodido
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cannot boot Tru64

Hi, I just got an AlphaServer DS10 in my lap with a note 'Fix it !'. It's just that I'm not very good with unix. Anyways, it seems like the osf_boot file is missing from root. I can boot the server in singel user mode with the Tru64 5.1 cd and from there open a console window. When I checked... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: magher
0 Replies

4. HP-UX

Unix HP Tru64

Hi experts, I hope someone can help me with these simple tasks as I am new in Unix environment. I need to create a file system for backup purpose, therefore I need to know the commands in Unix. 1) What is the command to check my disk drives to see how much available space is not allocated... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingsto88
2 Replies

5. HP-UX

HP-UX and Tru64

I had buy two old workstation: a Digital alpha 21164 and a HP C360... What version of tru64 on alpha and HP-UX on HP C360 run on those boxes? Where i can buy/download a small/workstation-base (if exists) version of those operating system ? Tnx in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: antani
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tru64

hi i am trying to get ssh server on tru64 5.1 can anyone help? thanks ed. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deusprogrammer
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tru64

Two part question, I was told that you can download Tru64 5.1b for free, is this true and if so where? Second part, could I load this on a XP Pro PC with vmware? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Troberts50
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Tru64 vm

Hi, One of our old Digital Alpha Server has died (CPU Failure). I want to recover a file from that server. Backups were done via Networker, however, cross platform recovery is not supported and I don't have any other TRU64 server available. Is there a VM or Emulator available which can get... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mack1982
1 Replies
NOAUTH(5)							AFS File Reference							 NOAUTH(5)

NAME
       NoAuth - Disables authorization checking

DESCRIPTION
       The NoAuth file, if present in a server machine's /var/lib/openafs/local directory, indicates to the AFS server processes running on the
       machine that it is not necessary to perform authorization checking. They perform any action for any user who logs into the machine's local
       file system or issues a remote command that affects the machine's AFS server functioning, such as commands from the AFS command suites.
       Because failure to check authorization exposes the machine's AFS server functionality to attack, there are normally only two circumstances
       in which the file is present:

o   During installation of the machine, as instructed in the OpenAFS Quick Start Guide.

o   During correction of a server encryption key emergency, as discussed in the OpenAFS Administration Guide.

In all other circumstances, the absence of the file means that the AFS server processes perform authorization checking, verifying that the
       issuer of a command has the required privilege.

Create the file in one of the following ways:

o   By issuing the bosserver initialization command with the -noauth flag, if the Basic OverSeer (BOS) Server is not already running.

o   By issuing the bos setauth command with off as the value for the -authrequired argument, if the BOS Server is already running.

To remove the file, issue the bos setauth command with "on" as the value for the -authrequired argument.

The file's contents, if any, are ignored; an empty (zero-length) file is effective.

SEE ALSO
       bos_setauth(8), bosserver(8)

COPYRIGHT
       IBM Corporation 2000. <http://www.ibm.com/> All Rights Reserved.

This documentation is covered by the IBM Public License Version 1.0.  It was converted from HTML to POD by software written by Chas
       Williams and Russ Allbery, based on work by Alf Wachsmann and Elizabeth Cassell.

OpenAFS 							    2012-03-26								 NOAUTH(5)