Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: ps report (on tru64)
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users ps report (on tru64) Post 302109469 by yakari on Tuesday 6th of March 2007 04:25:54 AM
Old 03-06-2007
ps report (on tru64)

hi,
i have 10 processes running on a tru64
machine with 16 cpu. when i am checking the states of these processes
with ps command, i saw that almost never more than 3 of them are in the
R(unning) state. (generally they are in the S(leeping) state).

although there are many other processes running on the same machine,
my expectation is to see most of my processes in the running state,
because top reports generally we have 20%-50% idle cpu,

even if they are waiting for some resource (e.g: io), they should be
in U(ninterruptable) state, am i wrong?

how can this sleeping state problem can be explained?

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

download TRU64

Does anybody know where did I find Tru64 Unix software ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: msudin
2 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Top in Tru64

Hi all. Anyone know what permissions or anything is needed to give users the privileges to see top statistics information ? I ask this because I have a user on which I execute top from and display just this info load averages: 0.49, 0.47, 0.46 ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: fidodido
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Cannot boot Tru64

Hi, I just got an AlphaServer DS10 in my lap with a note 'Fix it !'. It's just that I'm not very good with unix. Anyways, it seems like the osf_boot file is missing from root. I can boot the server in singel user mode with the Tru64 5.1 cd and from there open a console window. When I checked... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: magher
0 Replies

4. HP-UX

Unix HP Tru64

Hi experts, I hope someone can help me with these simple tasks as I am new in Unix environment. I need to create a file system for backup purpose, therefore I need to know the commands in Unix. 1) What is the command to check my disk drives to see how much available space is not allocated... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingsto88
2 Replies

5. HP-UX

HP-UX and Tru64

I had buy two old workstation: a Digital alpha 21164 and a HP C360... What version of tru64 on alpha and HP-UX on HP C360 run on those boxes? Where i can buy/download a small/workstation-base (if exists) version of those operating system ? Tnx in advance (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: antani
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tru64

hi i am trying to get ssh server on tru64 5.1 can anyone help? thanks ed. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: deusprogrammer
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Tru64

Two part question, I was told that you can download Tru64 5.1b for free, is this true and if so where? Second part, could I load this on a XP Pro PC with vmware? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Troberts50
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

[Solved] Tru64 vm

Hi, One of our old Digital Alpha Server has died (CPU Failure). I want to recover a file from that server. Backups were done via Networker, however, cross platform recovery is not supported and I don't have any other TRU64 server available. Is there a VM or Emulator available which can get... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Mack1982
1 Replies
UPTIME(1)							   User Commands							 UPTIME(1)

NAME
uptime - Tell how long the system has been running. SYNOPSIS
uptime [options] DESCRIPTION
uptime gives a one line display of the following information. The current time, how long the system has been running, how many users are currently logged on, and the system load averages for the past 1, 5, and 15 minutes. This is the same information contained in the header line displayed by w(1). System load averages is the average number of processes that are either in a runnable or uninterruptable state. A process in a runnable state is either using the CPU or waiting to use the CPU. A process in uninterruptable state is waiting for some I/O access, eg waiting for disk. The averages are taken over the three time intervals. Load averages are not normalized for the number of CPUs in a system, so a load average of 1 means a single CPU system is loaded all the time while on a 4 CPU system it means it was idle 75% of the time. OPTIONS
-p, --pretty show uptime in pretty format -h, --help display this help text -s, --since system up since, in yyyy-mm-dd HH:MM:SS format -V, --version display version information and exit FILES
/var/run/utmp information about who is currently logged on /proc process information AUTHORS
uptime was written by Larry Greenfield <greenfie@gauss.rutgers.edu> and Michael K. Johnson <johnsonm@sunsite.unc.edu> SEE ALSO
ps(1), top(1), utmp(5), w(1) REPORTING BUGS
Please send bug reports to <procps@freelists.org> procps-ng December 2012 UPTIME(1)