Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: wildcards with if statement?
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting wildcards with if statement? Post 302109326 by Perderabo on Monday 5th of March 2007 11:49:11 AM
Old 03-05-2007
Example:
Code:
#! /usr/bin/ksh

needval=1

while ((needval)) ; do
        read val?'Enter a number - '
        if [[ $val = ?(+|-)+([0-9]) ]] ; then
                needval=0
        else
                echo $val is not an integer
        fi
done

echo val = $val
exit 0

This is the reverse of what you want, but it's a good example. An integer is some digits possibly preceded by one minus sign or one plus sign. We loop until we get what we want.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I put wildcards in an if statement that uses variables?

With the if statement: if How can I make it so it accepts a wildcard after the ${CURR_DAY_MONTH} variable? Putting a -f /webtrends/SUN/mrw2/access.${CURR_DAY_DAY}${CURR_DAY_MONTH}* won't work, right? I think I need some kind of special character so it knows the wildcard is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LordJezo
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

How can I make an if [ -f ] statement with wildcards?

Normally you would have something like.. if then foo bar fi but what if you wanted to do something like if then foo bar fi How do I get Unix to accept anything that matches a pattern of FILENAME with anything after it during an in if statement? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: LordJezo
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wildcards

when writing a shell script (bourne) and using a unix command like 'ls' is there anything special you need to do to use a wildcard (like *)? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: benu302000
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

ls with wildcards

ok, I'm trying to write a script file that lists files with specific elements in the name into a txt file, it looks like this ls s*.dat > file_names.txt can't figure out whats wrong with that line, any ideas? thanks in advance (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: benu302000
10 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

wildcards NOT

Hi All Please excuse another straightforward question. When creating a tar archive from a directory I am attempting to use wildcards to eliminate certain filetypes (otherwise the archive gets too large). So I am looking for something along these lines. tar -cf archive.tar * <minus all *.rst... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: C3000
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

wildcards in "if then" statement

Hello, I would like to use a simple "if then" test to check if an argument to a command begins with "http://" as follows: if http://* ]; then command fi but the wildcard just seems to be ignored, ie., it will only execute the command if the expression is strictly "http://" with nothing... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: Allasso
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

wildcards in "if then" statement

Hello, I would like to use a simple "if then" test to check if an argument to a command begins with "http://" as follows: if http://* ]]; then command fi but the wildcard just seems to be ignored, ie., it will only execute the command if the expression is strictly "http://" with... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Allasso
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using wildcards in "if" statement

hey guys, what i am doing is that i would like the program to check if there was anything inputted. If nothing is imputed, it is suppose to display a message. echo -n "Enter Author:" read Author #echo -n "Enter Title:" #read Title if ] ; then echo "you enter something" else echo... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: gregarion
9 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Wildcards

These 2 websites do a GREAT job of explaining different types of wildcards. I learned about the categories of characters which I never knew about at all. GNU/Linux Command-Line Tools Guide - Wildcards GREP (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Convert Update statement into Insert statement in UNIX using awk, sed....

Hi folks, I have a scenario to convert the update statements into insert statements using shell script (awk, sed...) or in database using regex. I have a bunch of update statements with all columns in a file which I need to convert into insert statements. UPDATE TABLE_A SET COL1=1 WHERE... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: dev123
0 Replies
Num(3)								   OCaml library							    Num(3)

NAME
Num - Operation on arbitrary-precision numbers. Module Module Num Documentation Module Num : sig end Operation on arbitrary-precision numbers. Numbers (type num ) are arbitrary-precision rational numbers, plus the special elements 1/0 (infinity) and 0/0 (undefined). type num = | Int of int | Big_int of Big_int.big_int | Ratio of Ratio.ratio The type of numbers. === Arithmetic operations === val (+/) : num -> num -> num Same as Num.add_num . val add_num : num -> num -> num Addition val minus_num : num -> num Unary negation. val (-/) : num -> num -> num Same as Num.sub_num . val sub_num : num -> num -> num Subtraction val ( */ ) : num -> num -> num Same as Num.mult_num . val mult_num : num -> num -> num Multiplication val square_num : num -> num Squaring val (//) : num -> num -> num Same as Num.div_num . val div_num : num -> num -> num Division val quo_num : num -> num -> num Euclidean division: quotient. val mod_num : num -> num -> num Euclidean division: remainder. val ( **/ ) : num -> num -> num Same as Num.power_num . val power_num : num -> num -> num Exponentiation val abs_num : num -> num Absolute value. val succ_num : num -> num succ n is n+1 val pred_num : num -> num pred n is n-1 val incr_num : num Pervasives.ref -> unit incr r is r:=!r+1 , where r is a reference to a number. val decr_num : num Pervasives.ref -> unit decr r is r:=!r-1 , where r is a reference to a number. val is_integer_num : num -> bool Test if a number is an integer === The four following functions approximate a number by an integer : === val integer_num : num -> num integer_num n returns the integer closest to n . In case of ties, rounds towards zero. val floor_num : num -> num floor_num n returns the largest integer smaller or equal to n . val round_num : num -> num round_num n returns the integer closest to n . In case of ties, rounds off zero. val ceiling_num : num -> num ceiling_num n returns the smallest integer bigger or equal to n . val sign_num : num -> int Return -1 , 0 or 1 according to the sign of the argument. === Comparisons between numbers === val (=/) : num -> num -> bool val (</) : num -> num -> bool val (>/) : num -> num -> bool val (<=/) : num -> num -> bool val (>=/) : num -> num -> bool val (<>/) : num -> num -> bool val eq_num : num -> num -> bool val lt_num : num -> num -> bool val le_num : num -> num -> bool val gt_num : num -> num -> bool val ge_num : num -> num -> bool val compare_num : num -> num -> int Return -1 , 0 or 1 if the first argument is less than, equal to, or greater than the second argument. val max_num : num -> num -> num Return the greater of the two arguments. val min_num : num -> num -> num Return the smaller of the two arguments. === Coercions with strings === val string_of_num : num -> string Convert a number to a string, using fractional notation. val approx_num_fix : int -> num -> string See Num.approx_num_exp . val approx_num_exp : int -> num -> string Approximate a number by a decimal. The first argument is the required precision. The second argument is the number to approximate. Num.approx_num_fix uses decimal notation; the first argument is the number of digits after the decimal point. approx_num_exp uses scien- tific (exponential) notation; the first argument is the number of digits in the mantissa. val num_of_string : string -> num Convert a string to a number. Raise Failure num_of_string if the given string is not a valid representation of an integer === Coercions between numerical types === val int_of_num : num -> int val num_of_int : int -> num val nat_of_num : num -> Nat.nat val num_of_nat : Nat.nat -> num val num_of_big_int : Big_int.big_int -> num val big_int_of_num : num -> Big_int.big_int val ratio_of_num : num -> Ratio.ratio val num_of_ratio : Ratio.ratio -> num val float_of_num : num -> float OCamldoc 2014-06-09 Num(3)