Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem to add the string(without sed & awk) into the middle of file Post 302109298 by blowtorch on Monday 5th of March 2007 08:44:17 AM
Old 03-05-2007
Come on guys, we aren't supposed to be helping with homework. ali hussain, please stop posting homework questions.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sed/awk String problem

I would appreciate it if any one can guide me in using awk perhaps sed in extracting some values from a long string. here is an example. .......some lines here........ ........ aaaa bbbb cccc ddddd eeeee fffff gggg (time:hhhh)........ ......some lines here also.......... How can I extract... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: odogbolu98
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help needed - Replacing all date & time occurrences in a file with a string using Sed

Hi, I am new to using Sed. I have a file containg lines like the following: INFORM----Test.pc:168:10/11/05 12:34:26 > some text goes here.. TRACE-----Test.pc:197:10/11/05 12:34:26 > some text goes here.. My requirement is to replace 10/11/05 12:34:26 with a string <RUNDATE> (including <... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hema_M
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

add a string in the middle of the file

i want to add a string in a very top of a file without using VI or SED or AWK this is what ive done: (echo '0a'; echo 'LINE OF TEXT'; echo '.'; echo 'wq') | ed -s myfile to add astrng right in the middle i could have count the lines of the file and just chenge the address. ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ciroredz
6 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk & sed problem

Hello, I am new to shell scripting. I want to optimize my one of the script. I have one file and i want to remove selected zones for domains from that file.In this file i have almost 3500 zones for domains.Sample data for the file.... named.backup... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: nrbhole
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Add string to middle of a file

Hi, I want to write a script that takes a file and a string as params and adds the string to the middle line of the file. Also, I want to output the results back to the original file passed without using temp files. I am very much new to UNIX so this is all a little like black magic to me at... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Chiefos
15 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK or SED to add string at specific position

Greetings. I don't have experience programing scripts. I need to insert a string in a specific position of another string on another file (last.cfg), for example: File last.cfg before using script: login_interval=1800 lcs.machinename=client04 File last.cfg after using script:... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: vanesuke
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED/AWK file read & manipulation

I have large number of data files, close to 300 files, lets say all files are same kind and have extension .dat , each file have mulitple lines in it. There is a unique line in each file containing string 'SERVER'. Right after this line there is another line which contain a string 'DIGIT=0',... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sal_tx
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the middle character from a string using sed

Input: qwertmyuiop It should print "m". What's the command to do this with sed? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string in XML file with awk/sed with string from another

Sorry for the long/weird title but I'm stuck on a problem I have. I have this XML file: </member> <member> <name>TransactionID</name> <value><string>123456789123456</string></value> </member> <member> <name>Number</name> ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: cozzin
9 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replace string of a file with a string of another file for matches using grep,sed,awk

I have a file comp.pkglist which mention package version and release . In 'version change' and 'release change' line there are two versions 'old' and 'new' Version Change: --> Release Change: --> cat comp.pkglist Package list: nss-util-devel-3.28.4-1.el6_9.x86_64 Version Change: 3.28.4 -->... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Paras Pandey
1 Replies
ALI(1)								     [nmh-1.5]								    ALI(1)

NAME
ali - list mail aliases SYNOPSIS
ali [-alias aliasfile] [-list | -nolist] [-normalize | -nonormalize] [-user | -nouser] [-version] [-help] [aliases ...] DESCRIPTION
Ali searches the named mail alias files for each of the given aliases. It creates a list of addresses for those aliases, and writes that list on standard output. If no arguments are given, ali outputs all alias entries. By default, when an aliases expands to multiple addresses, the addresses are separated by commas and printed on as few lines as possible. If the -list option is specified, then when an address expands to multiple addresses, each address will appear on a separate line. The switch -user directs ali to perform its processing in an inverted fashion: instead of listing the addresses that each given alias expands to, ali will list the aliases that expand to each given address. If the -normalize switch is given, ali will try to track down the official hostname of the address. The files specified by the profile entry "Aliasfile" and any additional alias files given by the -alias aliasfile switch will be read. Each alias is processed as described in mh-alias(5). FILES
$HOME/.mh_profile The user profile /etc/passwd List of users /etc/group List of groups PROFILE COMPONENTS
Path: To determine the user's nmh directory Aliasfile: For a default alias file SEE ALSO
mh-alias(5) DEFAULTS
`aliasfiles' defaults to /etc/nmh/MailAliases `-nolist' `-nonormalize' `-nouser' CONTEXT
None BUGS
The -user option with -nonormalize is not entirely accurate, as it does not replace local nicknames for hosts with their official site names. MH.6.8 11 June 2012 ALI(1)