Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris USB Console access on Solaris 9 x86 Post 302109081 by com2com on Friday 2nd of March 2007 04:33:53 PM
Old 03-02-2007
USB Console access on Solaris 9 x86

Hi Guys,

I installed solaris 9 on my laptop(x86). I want to access the solaris console by attaching another laptop to this. But i do not have a Serial Port on the laptop on which I installed Solaris. I was wondering whether there was an option of console access through a USB2USB or using USB2Serial.

com2com

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

Access with console.

hi, is it possible to have a console access on a HP UX system without Web Console ? If yes, how ??? Many thanks in advance. :D (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: liliput
3 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Mounting USB Drives in Solaris 9 x86

I'm trying to moun my external USB Mass Storage Drive (80GB) in my Solaris 9 box, I am new to Solaris, and kind of new to linux / unix variants. The external HD contains windows files, but I will be using it as a central storage area for my windows/ linux clients. Thanks -- N:confused:C (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: N0C717
1 Replies

3. Solaris

x86 - cant access server as root

Hi does anyone got idea on this x4600 machine error? WARNING: rpcmod:svc_default_stksize is set more than once in /etc/system. "set r pcmod:svc_default_stksize = 0x6000" applied as the current setting. SunOS Release 5.10 Version Generic_125101-02 64-bit Copyright 1983-2006 Sun Microsystems,... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: incredible
14 Replies

4. Solaris

Installing Solaris x86 through an external DVD drive through the USB port...

Is there a way to install Solaris 10 x86 with an external DVD drive that connects through the USB port? I would think I would run GRUB off of a floppy disk and somehow use that to make it look to the USB port to boot from but I don't know how to do that. Can anyone help me out? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Bradj47
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to access console of a switch having rj45 on switch side to db 9 female on pc side console cable

hi, how to access console of a switch having rj45 on switch side to db 9 female on pc side console cable which needs to be connected to one console server having rj11 on its side and db 9 female on other end.i.e. on switch side,console cable has rj45 and db 9 pin female connector on other side of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: pankajd
1 Replies

6. AIX

P550 Unable to access Console

I have recently aquired the following machine: IBM,9113-550 Up until yesterday we could connect a dumb terminal to serial port 1 and get console login. However the dumb terminal died. We are now using a laptop with a null modem cable attached to serial port 1. This works perfectly for all of... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rsw7724
1 Replies

7. AIX

How to access console for P650 server.

Hi Everyone, we had a one IBM P650 standalone server, planning to install AIX OS on top of it, I don't have HMC, is their a way to access to console of the server using serial cable or any other option for installing OS on top of it. Thanks, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bobby320
1 Replies

8. Solaris

Installing Solaris 10 x86 from USB flash drive

Dear friends, I have the DVD image of solaris 10 but I don't have DVD writer to burn it onto a dvd R. I was wondering if I could install Solaris from my 4gb usb flash drive as my PC supports booting from usb. I have installed Windows 7 this way recently, I have no idea about Solaris. Could you... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: gabam
2 Replies

9. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Solaris: Not able to access E2900 console

Hi, I have a scheduled activity to reboot E2900 server. But suddenly I came to know that console ip is not pinging, not connecting via telnet, as it used to connect. I already checked with my onsite person and he changed cable, still no luck. Network person checked his switch, which is showing... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: solaris_1977
8 Replies

10. Solaris

Usbcopy fails with the error message sol-11_1-live-x86.usb is not a multiple of 512

I am trying to create a live image of solaris 11.1. I have used #pkg image-update to upgrade from 11 to 11.1 already. (since only 11.1 can make images of 11.1 due to using new grub) then from within 11.1 I used pkg install install distribution-constructor to get latest usbcopy that should be... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: taltamir
1 Replies
LAPTOP_MODE(8)						      System Manager's Manual						    LAPTOP_MODE(8)

NAME
/usr/sbin/laptop_mode - apply laptop mode settings SYNOPSIS
/usr/sbin/laptop_mode [ cmd ] [ force ] DESCRIPTION
This manual page documents briefly the /usr/sbin/laptop_mode command. laptop_mode is a program that applies the settings given in the /etc/laptop-mode/laptop-mode.conf configuration file. The primary use is to control the laptop mode feature included in Linux kernels with versions 2.6.6 and higher, and 2.4.23 and higher. This feature increases battery life by letting your hard drive spin down. This is achieved by grouping disk write activity into "chunks" that are spaced at larger intervals than they normally would be. In addition to sup- porting the Linux kernel's laptop mode feature, /usr/sbin/laptop_mode also supports various power saving modules which are configured through configuration files in the /etc/laptop-mode/conf.d directory. It is not recommended to call /usr/sbin/laptop_mode directly to start or stop laptop mode, except in hardware event handlers. To apply new configuration settings from laptop-mode.conf, call the laptop-mode service init script with the reload parameter. COMMANDS
Specify force as the second parameter to force laptop_mode to re-apply a state even if the computer is already in that state. These are the values that are allowed for cmd : auto Enable or disable laptop mode based on the current power state. Note that this will not do anything if the laptop-mode service has not been started! status Display a status report about everything that laptop_mode affects. SEE ALSO
laptop-mode.conf(8). AUTHOR
This manual page was written by Bart Samwel (bart@samwel.tk) for the Debian system (but may be used by others). Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU General Public License, Version 2 any later version published by the Free Software Foundation. On Debian systems, the complete text of the GNU General Public License can be found in /usr/share/common-licenses/GPL. LAPTOP_MODE(8)