Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Formatting the Log file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Formatting the Log file Post 302108210 by hegemaro on Saturday 24th of February 2007 08:21:12 AM
Old 02-24-2007
Perhaps this is more to your point:

Create a "stub" script to which you will pass the command you want to execute complete with options. It will initially display the data you desire then call the specified command.

/usr/local/bin/logit.ksh

Code:
#!/bin/ksh

echo "$(date +'%y%m%d'):$$:$1:\c"

exec $*

In the calling script:

/usr/local/bin/logit.ksh ls -l /var/log

will output something like this:

070224:11245:ls:total 36
-rw------- 1 root sys 0 Sep 30 2005 authlog
-rw-r--r-- 1 root other 639 Feb 14 2006 sysidconfig.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 root other 5375 Feb 24 06:59 syslog
-rw-r--r-- 1 root sys 8319 Sep 3 08:02 syslog.0
-rw-r----- 1 root sysadmin 1325 Feb 24 07:47 tcplog

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with formatting of file.

I have a file with following file format - DMCRH|||83000171|||14022008||0430|||8956612.23|J|||3571235|1378452|23468|6894|9234| DMCRH|||83000215|||15092007||0480|||121.33|J|||LineID003|RefNumSP003|RefNumMem003|0004|0003| What i need done is - 1. Cut the firt four digits of the date (eg 1402... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: divz
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Formatting a file.

I want to format a file to limit record length = 100, in each line. Any idea how i can do this? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: abhilasha
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with file formatting

Hi, I have a file with below contents: AAA pqr,jkl,mnop,abcd BBB abc,pqrs,xyz,uvw, efgh,uvw, rpk CCC 123,456,789 Need output file as below: AAA,pqr,jkl,mnop,abcd BBB,abc,pqrs,xyz,uvw,efgh,uvw,rpk (18 Replies)
Discussion started by: prvnrk
18 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting a file....

Hi, I have written a script which directs output of vmstat to a file... The file consists of 15 lines in all..... Through scripting I would like to re-format the file excluding first 4 lines... I donot wish to use vi editor and manually delete lines but i want this process to be... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: EmbedUX
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Formatting

Hi, Need to delete all the records prior to pattern (INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE). If ' is available, then need to retain it. Input ====================== l_s := ' INSERT INTO TEST' l_P PD := ' UPDATE INTO TEST' l_D := ' DELETE INTO TEST' This is test Input ======================... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saurabhbaisakhi
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

File Formatting

Hi, Need to delete all the records prior to pattern (INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE). If ' is available, then need to retain it. Input ====================== l_s := ' INSERT INTO TEST' l_P PD := ' UPDATE INTO TEST' l_D := ' DELETE INTO TEST' This is test Output ======================... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: saurabhbaisakhi
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting file data to another file (control character related)

I have to write a program to read data from files and then format into another file. However, I face a strange problem related to control character that I can't understand and solve. The source file is compose of many lines with such format: T_NAME|P_NAME|P_CODE|DOCUMENT_PATH|REG_DATE ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: hk6279
3 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

HP IML log formatting

HP hardware Linux SLES version 10 shell script, ksh or sh I am taking the output of the IML log and ultimately want to find only entries 30 days old. I am getting some unexpected results along the way. hpasmcli -s "SHOW IML" Event: 4 Added: 06/12/2012 13:56 INFO: Maintenance Note -... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: snoman1
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Formatting a file

Hi Experts I have a file which looks as follows acttest /report/fieldsinf/acttest/LIVE/acttest Chris New teatin1 /report/fieldsinf/eatin1/TEST/teatin1 Chris New eatin1 /report/fieldsinf/eatin1/LIVE/eatin1 Chris New tbectest ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: maverick_here
7 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Formatting data in a raw file by using another mapping file

Hi All, i have a requirement where i need to format the input RAW file ( which is CSV) by using another mapping file(also CSV file). basically i am getting feed file with dynamic headers by using mapping file (in that target field is mapped with source filed) i have to convert the raw file into... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ravi4informatic
6 Replies
shells(4)							   File Formats 							 shells(4)

NAME
shells - shell database SYNOPSIS
/etc/shells DESCRIPTION
The shells file contains a list of the shells on the system. Applications use this file to determine whether a shell is valid. See getuser- shell(3C). For each shell a single line should be present, consisting of the shell's path, relative to root. A hash mark (#) indicates the beginning of a comment; subsequent characters up to the end of the line are not interpreted by the routines which search the file. Blank lines are also ignored. The following default shells are used by utilities: /bin/bash, /bin/csh, /bin/jsh, /bin/ksh, /bin/ksh93, /bin/pfcsh, /bin/pfksh, /bin/pfsh, /bin/sh, /bin/tcsh, /bin/zsh, /sbin/jsh, /sbin/sh, /usr/bin/bash, /usr/bin/csh, /usr/bin/jsh, /usr/bin/ksh, /usr/bin/ksh93, /usr/bin/pfcsh, /usr/bin/pfksh, /usr/bin/pfsh, and /usr/bin/sh, /usr/bin/tcsh, /usr/bin/zsh, and /usr/sfw/bin/zsh. /etc/shells overrides the default list. Invalid shells in /etc/shells could cause unexpected behavior, such as being unable to log in by way of ftp(1). FILES
/etc/shells list of shells on system SEE ALSO
vipw(1B), ftpd(1M), sendmail(1M), getusershell(3C), aliases(4) SunOS 5.11 20 Nov 2007 shells(4)