Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting how to redirect stderr from top with csh Post 302108061 by umen on Thursday 22nd of February 2007 04:55:12 PM
Old 02-22-2007
how to redirect stderr from top with csh

Hello all
im trying to use top program in my csh shell
like this :
set topResult = `top | grep server.exe`

but im facing 2 problems
1.when the top program dont installed in the machine im getting error
so can i check in csh if application im using exist

2 the top program gives me stderr and stdout i like to redirect the sdterr to null
and keep only the stdout in the variable

thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

stderr redirection in csh script

Man pages....look at the man pages. If you don't have them, you can find them on-line. Read them when you have nothing better to do. Find new commands and new ways of doing things. The answer: The only way to direct the standard output and standard error separately is by invoking... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: thehoghunter
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Redirect stdout and stderr

How can I redirect and append stdout and stderr to a file when using cron? Here is my crontab file: */5 * * * * /dir/php /dir/process_fns.php >>& /dir/dump.txt Cron gives me an 'unexpected character found in line' when trying to add my crontab file. Regards, Zach Curtis POPULUS (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: zcurtis
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

csh stderr redirection

Hi everyone, Simple scripting question here. I have: #!/bin/csh if ( -e $HOME/*.core) then rm -f $HOME/*.core >& /dev/null else echo "No core files to delete." endif But I keep getting the /home/user/*.core: no match dialog. How can I suppress this? or, why is... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jolok
0 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

how can i redirect stderr to file in Make?

Hello all im using tcsh shell on sun Solaris , using the Make utility for compilation i will like to be able to redirect the stderr to file , how can it be done ? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: umen
0 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

can't redirect stderr in bash

Consider: #!/bin/sh #this is a shell script in sh (bourne) grep missingfile 2>errout.txt It works from the command line, but keeps producing errors from the script. So how do I redirect in a bash shell...or bourne? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lumix
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to redirect stderr and stdout to a file

Hi friends I am facing one problem while redirecting the out of the stderr and stdout to a file let example my problem with a simple example I have a file (say test.sh)in which i run 2 command in the background ps -ef & ls & and now i am run this file and redirect the output to a file... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sushantnirwan
8 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Redirect just stderr to a file with a timestamp

I'm using below command to redirect stderr to a file but I also want to add timestamp to stderr.out to find out the date / time the error occurred. ls -ltr 2>>/tmp/stderr.out Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mbak
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to redirect the STDERR to a variable in perl?

in my perl script i tried the below statement $result = `cleartool rmstream -f $s1 1> /dev/null`; so as to redirect then error messages,when i print the $result ,it seems to be Null. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: ram_unx
4 Replies

9. Red Hat

Redirect STDOUT and STDERR of chsh

EDIT: Nevermind, figured it out! Forgot to put backslashes in my perl script to not process literals! Hi everyone. I am trying to have this command pass silently. (no output) chsh -s /bin/sh news Currently it outputs. I've tried.... &> /dev/null 1> /dev/null 2>&1 /dev/null 1>&2... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: austinharris43
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to redirect stderr to a file as well

Hello everyone, I'm a nooby in Linux, and I need some help. I have a shell script like this: echo "Start of script" > ../My_Log_Dir/Script_Name.log .. cp ../My_DataIn/File.txt ../My_DataOut/ 2>> ../My_Log_Dir/Script_Name.log rc=$? .. echo "End of Script" >>... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: H.Faria
5 Replies
suspend(1)                                                         User Commands                                                        suspend(1)

NAME
suspend - shell built-in function to halt the current shell SYNOPSIS
sh suspend csh suspend ksh suspend DESCRIPTION
sh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). csh Stop the shell in its tracks, much as if it had been sent a stop signal with ^Z. This is most often used to stop shells started by su. ksh Stops the execution of the current shell (but not if it is the login shell). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWcsu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), kill(1), ksh(1), sh(1), su(1M), attributes(5) SunOS 5.10 15 Apr 1994 suspend(1)